What I'm trying to do:
We have been developing a project for school on a MSP430F5529 LaunchPad. We now want to move our project to a custom PCB for the final part. My partner has been using the UCB0 SPI module available through the LaunchPad to communicate to a sensor while I have been separately (as in a completely different sketch) using the same module to run the CC3100MODBOOST Boosterpack. Because no one on my team has much programming experience, we are using Energia to develop the project. We first tried to start with CCS, but we were in way over our heads.
Now that we have our different subsystems working, we are using an evaluation board to test out our circuit before going to a PCB. In order to run the SPI module and the sensor at the same time, I want to move the SPI communication with the CC3100 to the UCA1 SPI module.
I think I figured out to set up and access all of the pins through pins_energia.h. I created a new board for our setup and added it to Energia. I used some LEDs to check that I could access GPIO pins that weren't accessible on the LaunchPad, and they would all light up when I wanted them to. (I used the digitalWrite() function to check that I actually set up the pins_energia.h file correctly. I didn't directly send the pins high with "P1DIR |= BIT0; P1OUT |= BIT0;" style assignments.)
My next step was to switch communication with the CC3100 from UCB0 to UCA1 so my partner could keep using UCB0 for communication with his sensor. This is where I got really lost. I know that the code I have is using the SPI library included with Energia, but I don't know how to modify to do what I want it to do.
So my main question ultimately is: "How do I get the Energia sketch to use UCA1 instead of the default UCB0 SPI module for communication with the CC3100?"
Secondary to that, I am hesitant to change the installed libraries for Energia. Is there a way that I can reference copies of those libraries where my changes will be made?
What I've tried:
Looking through the code, I think that for the F5529, Energia is using the functions defined in utility/usci_spi.cpp. For this file at least, it seems to be hardcoded that the MSP will use UCB0. I tried to go through the file and replace every instance of "UCB0" with "UCA1", but that didn't work. I've also tried to look through some other posts about using alternate SPI ports on the F5529, but either I couldn't understand them or they didn't have solutions posted.
LaunchPad - MSP-EXP439F5529LP Rev 1.6
MCU - MSP430F5529IPN
Evaluation board - MSP-TSP430PN80USB
Boosterpack - CC3100MODBOOST Rev 1.0
IDE - energia-1.8.7E21
OS - Windows 10 Pro
Other 43oh posts I've looked at (or at least the most relevant ones): https://forum.43oh.com/topic/5844-f5529-using-alternate-spi-and-i2c-interfaces/ https://forum.43oh.com/topic/5174-getting-i2c1-ie-usci_b1-to-work-on-f5529-launchpad/
Thank you so much for y'alls help with this. I've been trying for a while now to get this on my own, but I keep hitting a wall. This is my first post here, so please let me know if I need to provide any additional info or if there was a different way I should have posed this question. Thank you!