Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

  1. I have just received the booster pack. Thank you very much. Now I just need to think of an interesting project to put it to good use. I will probably first try with the booster + servos project posted here a while ago. Thank you to everyone who voted for me and thank you to 43Oh ! Fabrice
  2. Hi NatureTM, Paulbo mentioned on his blog that there was some sound feedback to help the player but I think he turned it off in his video so I don't know how it would compare. What I did here is to have the beep duration and intervals to get smaller as the color difference decreased. In addition to this, the pitch of the beep gets higher with the number of channels that match their individual targets. This really helps the player as the game is really not that easy without the sound feedback. (while testing, I have been known to pause the program and use the debugger and cheat to find an el
  3. As this was suggested to me last month, I will try and submit my color matching game. As it is a beginner's first project, I am not sure if it is really worthy to be featured in a contest but you never know... Plus, the prizes look extremely attractive. This is an improved version which now features sound feedback to help the player. The goal is to match a target color by adjusting separately red, green and blue components of an RGB LED. The length of the beeps and their pitch also help you into finding the proper combination. The required parts are very few and the game is driven by a
  4. Hello everyone, I found the time to try and implement some sound for my game. On the hardware side, it was just a matter of plugging an old PC buzzer to pin 2.6 (you will also see a variable resistor in the pictures as I wanted to be able to dim the sound while testing) Now the beginning of the game greets you with a short "tune" (I am no musician). While you play, you get sound guidance to help you find the right color. The beeps shorten as the color difference decreases, and the pitch of the beeps also changes when you manage to find the proper setting for a given channel. Finally, an
  5. Thanks a lot. Actually, I picked up the "volatile" habit in the source code from http://blog.hodgepig.org/2010/09/30/jam-jar-lamp/ I did not really know what it was so I assumed exactly the contrary : that it was an optimization and helped the code to run better on the microcontroller. I'll take them away from the source file right away. lpdc
  6. OK well maybe next time, I see the votes are already open and according to the post it says : In the mean time I would really appreciate any comments and ways to improve my code. LPDC.
  7. Thanks Bluehash but I'd feel bad entering any kind of contest with such a beginner's project. Maybe one day if I can add in some sound and package it better than on a breadboard...
  8. NOTE : A NEW IMPROVED VERSION CAN BE VIEWED ON PAGE 2 Hello everyone, 2 or 3 months ago, I announced here that, as a first project, I would like to program a color matching game inspired by the Amazing Dr. Boardman's Conundrum. I want to thank everyone who answered the post and gave me pointers. This is what I have achieved so far : Schematics of the circuit : The code is pasted below, largely inspired from the tutorials and examples at http://mspsci.blogspot.com/ and http://www.msp430launchpad.com/2010/09/ ... chpad.html and http://blog.hodgepig.org/
  9. As I said, it is not my original idea. But I understand you, I also fell in love with the concept imediately. This looks so much like the experiments, carried out at the beginning of the 20th century, that led to the empiric creation of all the colour spaces and metrics on which are based today's colour management (CIE RGB, standard observers, CIE L*a*b* etc..). If I manage to carry out this project to its end, I will definitely post the code and pictures on this forum. LPDC
  10. Wow, thanks a lot everyone for you input. I do not often use forums in general but I am really impressed with how helpful everyone is here. I see now. I did not know that the 2 crystal pins could be used as regular input/output pins, I guess that I should have read the specs better instead of just reading the silkscreen print on the Launchpad board. This is very good news indeed, as a beginner's project it is good that I need only to worry about PWM and ADC without being required to throw some kind of multiplexing in there too. With a total of 10 pins, I will have enough leeway n
  11. Thanks a lot Mike. this is good news, even if it take 4 pins instead of 3 to drive the common cathode LEDs, this means that it is still doable with the 8 port microcontroller that came with the launchpad kit. Now that you mention it, I understand how a common annode/cathode could make the charlieplexing matrix more complex. Now I guess that I just need to do my homework : first try to use simply PWM and ADC to drive a single RGB LED with 3 potentiometers, then try to drive the 2 LEDs without PWM through a charlieplexing matrix and finally try to merge the 2 parts together. This is r
  12. Hello everyone, I am a complete beginner with micro controllers and I chose to get started with a Launchpad as its small price made it pretty much risk-free even if I failed. As a first project, I have set myself the goal to duplicate the following circuit : http://www.fangletronics.com/2010/02/am ... ndrum.html The author of this project used a different microcontroller so I thought it would be a nice exercise to try and obtain the same behaviour with a MSP430 included in the Launchpad kit. Basically, the micro controller drives 2 RBG LEDs and gets imput from 3 potentiometers. A r
  • Create New...