AndreL

REALLY? main() not found ? MSP432 Launchpad

7 posts in this topic

Everyone,

I am new to the Energia platform. I am a professional embedded developer, so rarely use Arduino like tools, well never :) Unless I am trying to teach someone how to get started. That said, I have a project that I was coding in TI Code Studio for a client, then I thought on this next project, much simpler, I would use Energia, so they could actually make changes to it -- 

Anyway, I downloaded the Energia ZIP latest, there is no installer, so unzipped into directory. I then set it up, board selected MSP432 Launchpad, then started trying examples. Everything works perfectly.

However, when I take ANY project, blink, you name it and save as and place into another directory, ANYWHERE -- then re-compile, I get:

C:\Users\Andre\AppData\Local\Energia15\packages\energia\hardware\msp432\1.3.3\cores\msp432\gnu/targets/arm/rtsv7M/lib/boot.am4fg(startup.om4fg): In function `startupC':

/db/vtree/library/trees/zumaprod/zumaprod-n06/exports/tirtos_full_2_20_00_06/products/bios_6_46_00_23/packages/gnu/targets/arm/rtsv7M/startup.c:76: undefined reference to `main'

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

exit status 1
Error compiling for board LaunchPad w/ msp432 EMT (48MHz).

In other words, the linker can't find main() -- so I am thinking, someone HARD coded a path somewhere and at this point, I can't save anything and then run it. Currently my work around is:

1. Open any example project, compile, upload, test it, works.
2. Take my source and copy into IDE, then compile, upload, it works.
3. IF I then try to save, I get read only, since the examples are flagged read-only, thus I save as another name, in a number of directories, no matter what, THEN when I try to compile I always get:

C:\Users\Andre\AppData\Local\Energia15\packages\energia\hardware\msp432\1.3.3\cores\msp432\gnu/targets/arm/rtsv7M/lib/boot.am4fg(startup.om4fg): In function `startupC':

/db/vtree/library/trees/zumaprod/zumaprod-n06/exports/tirtos_full_2_20_00_06/products/bios_6_46_00_23/packages/gnu/targets/arm/rtsv7M/startup.c:76: undefined reference to `main'

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

exit status 1
Error compiling for board LaunchPad w/ msp432 EMT (48MHz).

I am getting frustrated here, the whole point of this was to try and give the customers something they might be able to put hands on, but this IDE needs to be solid -- 

Anyway, any help or suggestions would be appreciated. 

This should work out of box, "saving" the project should NOT break the application and IDE loose track of the build process, etc. 

Andre'

bluehash likes this

Thanks for reporting this and sorry for the inconvenience this is causing. This should be straight forward and would very much like to get to the bottom of this. So please bear with me while we try to get to the bottom of this.

I tried to reproduce it on Windows 10. But am not able to reproduce the issue (see steps below). You might have hit a corner case that we might not have caught. Would really appreciate it if you could provide details such as Sketch name, Sketch folder saved to, what is in that folder, etc. Anything helps. I'll then use those details to try and reproduce it. Would be great if you could try the below and see if that works.

Can you please also copy paste the entire output of the black log window in this thread for both the fail and success case? Before you do so, please turn on "Show verbose output during [ ] compilation". Hopefully that will provide additional clues.

This is what I did in an attempt to reproduce the issue.

1. Open File->Examples->01.Basic->Blink
  2. File->Save As...
  3. Saved it to Desktop/Blink. This should produce a folder Blink on your Desktop with a file Blink.ino in it.
  4. Then Sketch->Verify/Compile

This works as expected, the file compiles and produces an .elf file but obviously I am missing something in my steps that makes it fail in your case.

Robert

bluehash likes this

Thanks -- I will do some runs and show with a screen cast. But, you are saving to the desktop, this is a very magical place, and a good place to hardcode something, I wonder if you try saving in a C:\testing\Blink  -- what would happen?

Anyway, I will show with video -- right now, just fighting the serial system without debugging :)

Andre'

None of the paths should be hardcoded and as far as I can see aren't. Saving to C:\testing\Blink still works for me.

Screencasts and log output pasts would be great to have.

You said, any path but still I must ask. Does your windows user name have any weird characters like (how are they called in english), the:

You said, any path but still I must ask. Does your windows user name have any weird characters like (how are they called in english), the: