Fmilburn

edX course Real-Time bluetooth Networks - Shape the World

28 posts in this topic

There is an edX course coming up in September from the University of Texas in Austin - this time with MSP432 or TM4C123 LaunchPad.  The parts list also includes the CC2650 and Educational BoosterPack MK-II.  The syllabus includes BLE and RTOS.  It is taught by Jonathan Valvano and Ramesh Yerraballi who have offered a course using the TM4C123 on edX in the past.

https://www.edx.org/course/real-time-bluetooth-networks-shape-world-utaustinx-ut-rtbn-12-01x

http://edx-org-utaustinx.s3.amazonaws.com/UT601x/RTOS.html

edit: forgot to mention that these courses are free if you just audit the course

cubeberg likes this

@@Fmilburn - I registered for that a couple of months ago (just doing the free audit) so I'll definitely be attending - are you?  It will probably be good to set up a thread to discuss during the course (although I assume there will be something on the edX site).  

The course covers a couple of topics that I've been very interested in but have had a hard time getting into - so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Signed too. I've been wanting to learn more on ROTS. Though with 7 classes I probably will only watch it later in vacation... (funny enough I will have real time systems this semester but not specifically RTOS)

The course started yesterday and the content of the first couple of videos is very familiar :).  I haven't gotten very far but I am not sure it is going to be what I thought it would be.

Separately I received my CC2650 BoosterPack module in the mail today - which will be used in the course.  I need to figure out something to do with that second module.  In the photo below the module soldered on the BoosterPack is far left.  The module PCB blends in with the BoosterPack PCB so it is hard to tell the size.  At bottom right the second module that comes in the box is flipped upside down to show the pins - scale in cm.

post-45284-0-76446200-1474067654_thumb.jpg

bluehash and zeke like this

nice!  Those FCC certified modules make things convenient.  They started with the CC3100MOD a while back and now they have the CC2650MOD.  I vaguely recall Trey German using that CC2650MOD (I think, or something like it?) in his upcoming product he's making (now that he's not working @ TI any longer)...

Hey guys, I'm also taking the course. Not sure though about the Bluetooth module though... a bit pricey especially with the dollar so strong (against Brazilian Real) right now. Let's see, maybe later I will bite the bullet.

Waiting on the I/O booster pack thingy to arrive.

Good luck and fun to all!

I'm doing Lab #2 right now, which is where you write your first RTOS scheduler and make the whole time-slicing scheduled thread concept work for the first time... and I just want to add, this is a ton of fun!!!

Class is taking more time to go through than I thought it would, mostly the lectures, but I'm making time for it here and there.  There are 6 sections to the class and only 1-5 are up right now, #6 I think is the actual communication with the CC2650 Bluetooth Low Energy coprocessor (where you use either the TI CC2650 BoosterPack or the CC2650 LaunchPad in boosterpack mode).  The bulk of the code being run here is already written by the professors in the "BSP" library, e.g. for communicating with the LCD and drawing lines/text, reading the temperature sensor, accelerometer, etc.  Your job is just to learn the specific core facilities that an RTOS provides.

The "magic" of an RTOS and simulating multiple threads on a single CPU wasn't as complicated as I thought, and while the particulars of this course only teach ARM's specific way of context switching I generally understand the analysis required to implement this on another chip:

1. Understand exactly which registers get pushed onto the stack when an interrupt occurs and in which order

2. Push the remaining registers

3. Know exactly how to exit an ISR correctly - the actual context "switch" relies on this

greeeg likes this

I finished the first section a while back and had to put it aside for a while but am ready to get started again.  It isn't what I thought it would be when I first read the title but I'm enjoying it too....

@@spirilis you're an animal - saw that you'd finished lab 3!  I'm about 1/2 of the way through section 2 - there are a LOT of videos to watch and content to read.  Are you going through both, or just doing one or the other?

@@spirilis you're an animal - saw that you'd finished lab 3!  I'm about 1/2 of the way through section 2 - there are a LOT of videos to watch and content to read.  Are you going through both, or just doing one or the other?

Both, although some of the videos I might skim the text interpretation and then skim the content after... all depends.  Excited for lab 4, we get to run a game!!

I just started it yesterday too. I'm kinda late to the party so I figured I'd try to catch-up as much as possible. I've done all of chapter 1 and lab 1 yesterday and watched all of chapter 2 today. I'll do lab 2 tomorrow.

There was a LOT of material in chapter 2! None of it is super complicated but there's still a lot of it. It's great to see and understand how an RTOS works though! 

I'll certainly go for the verified certificate like for the previous course! :)

spirilis likes this

One of the cooler things about the course is the casual introduction to various use-cases, section 4.1 particularly.

4.1.4, "Real-Time Control Systems" had one of the best descriptions of PID control that I've seen as it involved both practical descriptions and math--including casual mention of such scary terms as "Lorenz transforms" (which I still don't understand) but no requirement that you truly grok them, as the page included very practical advice on what the P/I/D segments do.

The 4.1 subsections prior talk about DSP and introduce the MACQ, or Multiple Access Circular Queue, along with tacitly demonstrating an optimization (where you allocate 2X the memory required and maintain 2 copies so that 1 copy can always be walked by simple address incrementing without having to check the circular buffer address boundary).  Having noticed that many DSP oriented chips include hardware support for "circular buffers" (where the address can increment or decrement ad infinitum and the hardware does the modulo/bounds checking for you), I understand now why they're such a big deal.

Cool stuff.

Fmilburn likes this

@@spirilis

Do you think you will apply the RTOS code / techniques developed in this course directly in your own projects or is it more a good educational experience on how things work? Just curious...

@@spirilis

Do you think you will apply the RTOS code / techniques developed in this course directly in your own projects or is it more a good educational experience on how things work? Just curious...

My current projects have all used TI-RTOS since the platform basically requires it and/or is unsupported without it (CC1310), so the course has been mostly educational experience, however, I will pay closer attention to the Clock module and use of hardware timer interrupts for clocking any hard-real-time stuff from now on.  The practical advice on handling DSP process flow was useful and I can see that coming into play, the PID stuff too.  I think the use of some sort of tick or GPIO toggle to indicate task switching/execution bears serious consideration -- if TI-RTOS has a "hook" you can execute upon beginning a task (something I will research shortly), that would be a great place to put a GPIO toggle so I can view my tasks' execution & suspension with a logic analyzer.

So yeah, some of this & that.  Chips without an RTOS or without one I like, I feel like I'm now armed to build my own.

I'll admit I haven't finished the training on TI-RTOS (next plan after I'm done with this course) - but the concepts introduced in the course are clarifying some of the settings I was seeing with TI-RTOS (Like WTF is StackSize used for).  So I can see this helping my understanding of using another RTOS.

spirilis likes this

Yes and progressing from having a non-prioritized, finite-time-slice scheduler to a "priority" scheduler in lab 4 illustrates the "why" behind a lot of what modern priority-based RTOS's are about...