zeke

Digital Ocean?

11 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody,

Right now, my website is on a shared service. That means that I cannot take advantage of letsencrypt.org's free Certificates.

I am considering setting up my own server on DigitalOcean.com.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Are there any better alternatives?

Can you share some stories from the trenches please?

Analog.io runs on Digital Ocean, as does my Phant server.  Luke @ Analog.io set it up for me, so I don't really manage the dashboard piece of things.  I will say their pricing is pretty cheap in comparison to azure.  Not sure about Amazon.  I've only had one issue where they had a big DNS failure - but my server was up and running the whole time - I just didn't have the IP to get into it for a few hours.  So I don't have a ton of info on admin - but it's been pretty fool-proof so far.

zeke likes this

Sheesh!  That was easy!

They sure were violently quick on the confirmation email that they sent to me!

I just need some courage to spin up something called a droplet. Weird.

Not at all to be underestimated! After all droplets usually crash eventually.... they just don't burn :D

I've got my droplet up and running now.

It felt good to dust off the linux admin skills and set everything up.

Here's a screen shot of the speed comparison between my old and new service provider.

post-112-0-74232200-1464378591_thumb.png

That's the trigger point for me. Speed. And this is running on their $5/month configuration!

I now like these new guys. Here's my referral link if anyone else wants to try out Digital Ocean for themselves.

PS: @@bluehash, I encountered the dreaded myslq crash this morning. I've got it sorted out already. We should compare notes.

spirilis and tripwire like this

@@zeke, I use linode.

They have been good support and uptime wise.

The crashes you see on 43oh is not because of Linode, but mysql not tuned well. I recommend them.

My blog site runs on wulfs server which is also a linode VM. They're good, i read about them all over the web, but have never heard of digitalocean. But I have not exactly looked for a server provider in quite some time. Anyway, linode is always up . . . I can not remember the last time our server was down, and then I think that was wulfs fault.