jamjam

New launchpad msp-exp430fr5994 with microSD

15 posts in this topic

256KB FRAM is a beast.  Hope the RedHat MSP430 GCC port is up to par.  I did notice a notification that there's been recent "release" from TI of the MSP430-GCC build.

Too much effort/not funny for a April fools joke.

Interesting that the schematics are date 11 Mar. (for rev 1.1) That's a pretty impressive turn around time.

It's interesting they have the SD card connected directly to the voltage rail of the super cap. Some SD cards I've tested use in excess of 20mA when writing. Most are in the 2-5mA range, but that's still a significant draw. Probably can't be using SD and the supercap in the same application.

Yeah, this can't be an April fool's joke. The documentation is complete. That alone is three months of work at least.

looks to be, had a quick look at the pin out and footprint for the QFN48. Think I'm going to have to go for the 80pin 4 Uart option.

Did you see this: "The MSP430F599x microcontrollers take low power and performance to the next level with the Low-Energy Accelerator (LEA_SC), a co-processor optimized for signal processing. this accelerator enables developers to efficiently process data using complex functions such as FFT, FIR and matrix multiplication. Implementation requires no DSP expertise with a free optimized DSP Library available."

:o  :o  :D  :D

Awesome

pine likes this

The Launchpad MSP-EXP430FR5994 is available in the store

:lol:

Will the new LEA hardware available in other lines like the F serie devices focused in metrology?

I am still unable to locate this in the TI store. Was it put up and then withdrawn? Or is it not available in the US yet? This seems like a really nice data logging platform and I am looking forward to it being available.

Yesterday I noticed that the board is not available in the store. I don't know why, but I was lucky to buy in the first batch.

The Out-of-box demo lasts about 40 minutes using the supercap to log in the FRAM.

exp430fr5994-gui.png

@@agaelema It isn't the first time that something makes a brief appearance in the store and then disappears for a while. I guess I will be patient and wait.

I do have a couple of questions on the supercap results you mentioned in your post. Did you have all the jumpers to the programming portion of the board removed? Was there a SD card in the slot, even if it was not being actively used?

@@dubnet I removed all jumpers to perform the test, but I don't remember if the SD card was in the slot.

I will do new tests and share the results.

I performed a new test (removing all jumpers and the sd card) and the time increased to about 60 minutes using the supercap

exp430fr5994-gui2.png

@@agaelema Thanks for doing the second test. Assuming the Launchpad user guide is accurate on the power consumption of the inserted SD card at 100uA, then that would infer that the average current consumption for the demo, without the SD, would be about 200uA. Then at 5uA average current for a periodic data logger perhaps you could get 40 hours (assuming very low leakage for the cap). Haven't done much with supercaps so I will need to take a look at the specs and come up to speed.

Thanks again for taking the time to do another test.

agaelema likes this