• Announcements

• bluehash

Forum Upgrade   03/11/2017

Hello Everyone, Thanks for being patient while the forums were being fixed and upgraded. Please see details and report issues in this thread. Thanks!
pine

DIY in The Martian (Spoiler warning)

5 posts in this topic

Just watched The Martian. Great movie.

Amazed with the "chemist" Mars expedition team member who was requested to make a DIY explosive device in about half hour's time that features:

- USB power

- timing with RTC for count down (not sure about this as someone announced power up panel something before the device is triggered)

- guaranteed to work giving the condition they are facing

- professionally done that doesn't look DIY at all

Yeah it's movie but still.. it is the spirit that we care about. Good DIY job!

Btw Matt Damon is so special! He got rescued every time in the big screen, from WW2 to Mars! :D

bluehash likes this

Mission to mars??? Are you sure you don't mean 'The Martian'

Mission to mars is an old 2000 film, which does not feature Matt Damon.

I'm pretty sure they could remotely power the USB port, basically a resistor or reversed biased diode would work. Something that heat/burns when 5W is run through it.

Me and my brother built a control box for small pyrotechnic experiments. Which used a current limited output into a reverse biased signal diode. Once it got hot it would ignite our homemade black powder without fail.

pine and bluehash like this

Thanks Greeeg for the correction, yes I meant to say "The Martian". Sure i was somehow time wrapped after the movie  :lol:

I used incandescent christmas light bulbs for my igniters. They will light up (and ignite anything toching it) on an AAA battery.

I used incandescent christmas light bulbs for my igniters. They will light up (and ignite anything toching it) on an AAA battery.

Cheapest E-Fuses ever.