bluehash

Full SD-Card FatFS Elm-Chan module support for the MSP432 Launchpad

24 posts in this topic

msp432_launchpad_sdcard.jpg

msp432_launchpad_sdcard_fatFS_module.JPG

Many members on 43oh have requested support for a full FAT system sdcard stack using the super-awesome Elm-Chan module. This is my attempt at it. The software still needs work. so far I have tested the basics:
  • pwd
  • cat filename
  • ls

Hardware:
1. The 43oh SDCard BoosterPack

2. MSP432 Launchpad

Software:
1. Compiled with CCS 

2. MSPWare
Make sure you have msp432p4xx_driverlib.lib in the root of your project or linked for the above install folder.

The software has only been tested with a 32MB card. This is Fat16. Cards 2Gb or greater should work just as well.

Thanks to the following software:
1. ElmChan FatFS

2. TI TivaWare for the SDCard example

Code is on github.

pine, Fmilburn, L.R.A and 3 others like this

Nice work! I wanted to try doing this myself back when the MSP432 first came out, but the SD card  Boosterpack has been "Out of stock" for at least that long. Thanks for sharing the work.

@@bluehash   Will these be available as assembled boards with tails on the connectors so they will stack?

Yes.. on the order page you can select Female or Female Stacking connectors. They are fully assembled. The price is higher on the stacking connectors as it takes a lot longer for me to solder them.

Do you have any links where to learn to use a SD card?

Really just use it, no FATs, just saving data.

Do you have any links where to learn to use a SD card?

Really just use it, no FATs, just saving data.

Hmmm.. crazy as that may be, I have never done it without FatFS. I have written to SPI flash(chip) directly though.

Here is a smal project without FatFS that might help you(not msp430)

http://tinkerish.com/blog/?p=13

@@bluehash, are there any "The CardReader- SDCard Booster" boards left? Today the website shows out-of-stock, did I miss my opportunity? Is there another order coming? Thanks!

P.S. I used the "Notify Me!" link on the purchase page a month ago, but didn't get an email indicating it was in-stock again.

Hi Dale, sorry about that. Looks like the notify me is not working. I have some coming in two weeks time. Can you place a custom order of the SDCard config. That way I'll know to send you one immediately when they arrive.

store.43oh.com/custom-order

@@bluehash, are there any "The CardReader- SDCard Booster" boards left? Today the website shows out-of-stock, did I miss my opportunity? Is there another order coming? Thanks!

P.S. I used the "Notify Me!" link on the purchase page a month ago, but didn't get an email indicating it was in-stock again.

Dale likes this

@@bluehash, thanks (custom order placed).

What is the purpose of the jumper wire in the photo? Is this a mod that needs to be made on the SD Card board?

One more question... ;-). I am already using a BOOSTXL-SENSHUB that uses P1.6/P1.7 for I2C. Do you have any preference (technical or just convention) for which EUSCI port to jumper the SD card to use? (on J1/2/3/4)

Also, do you foresee any negative effect on maximum write speed from the jumper?

Thanks,

Dale

Any EUSCI port can be used as long as you make the necessary changes in software. The jumper is just a solder blob. Should be ok. I'd suggest looking at the clock line with a scope if you notice any skewing in the SPI signals.

Hello 
I have interfaced Bosch BME 280 sensor via i2c with msp432p401r launchpad..and have displayed the output via 430 sharp96 lcd boosterpack..now I have to save the sensor output data to the internal memory... i just need to store temperature,pressure and humidity data ever 60 seconds..can anyone help ??

Hi, I tried to import the project in the CCS, but it does not recognize the "MSP432-Launchpad-FatFS-SDCard", just the "MSP432-Launchpad-Printf-Support" with many errors. I think that in the last update of MSPWare some #define were modified.

Thanks

ps.: 
I posted this yesterday, but the post disappeared  :blink:

Hi, one print of the errors in CCS.

I started a new project with support to MSPWare and copied the files to this project.

post-31344-0-59785800-1457414777_thumb.png

Even if the folder is inside the project it's necessary to include in the compiler options?

I tried to include some folders, but many errors keep happening.

- the file "malloc.h" no exists

- archives with directives marked as not necessary

post-31344-0-06652500-1457543172_thumb.png

post-31344-0-04421100-1457543174_thumb.png

I tried to exclude this files of the building and replace the "malloc.h" by the "stdlib.h". After this the errors , but the code lock after the initial message displayed on the terminal.

Hello,

i had the same problem. it seems that MSP432-Launchpad-FatFS-SDCard is not recognized by ccs as a project, whereas MSP432-Launchpad-Printf-Support it is. I copied the files in a new ccs project and fixed some minor issues related to #include files in subfolders, but at compiling i still had some memory issues and others errors.

keep on trying this morning....