GeekDoc

Share pics of your workspace setup

105 posts in this topic

I got the Leica when the local Flextronics manufacturing facility shut down last year. They sold a warehouse full of stuff for 10 cents on the dollar. I got the Leica for $100. I got a dual wand Metcal soldering iron for $60. All together, I spent $1000 that day. I had to use a pickup truck to get it all home :D

All three white computers on the bottom shelf are just in storage. The one on the bottom left is my first Linux computer - a 486dx100! I think it's still running an ancient Slackware version that I loaded onto it with ~50 1.44Meg floppies. Holy crap! It's 18 years old! :shock:

Only the black ones (four) are turned on:

- XP (eng dev),

- Win7 (everything else),

- CentOS (pbx) and

- Ubuntu (webserver)

I'm surprised that no one noticed all my TI dev kits yet.

I'm proud of that shelf. :mrgreen:

Those are repurposed TAIT radio boxes.

They were going into the dumpster at work. I grabbed them when I noticed how well they fit into their larger box.

I put big electronic components into them.

Things like this:

post-955-135135495247_thumb.jpg

Man, I need an o-scope! :(

*jealous*

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/preord ... 9d61e846ee

Pocket sized 4 ch scope. Comes out May 15th and I will be ordering one.

Analog channel * 2 : [CH_A] [CH_B];

Digital channel * 2 : [CH_C] [CH_D];

Vertical Scale: 20mV-10V/div (x1 probe);

Vertical solution: 8 bit ;

Input coupling: AC/DC ;

Max input voltage: 80Vpp (x1 probe);

Storage: 4K per channel

Software trigger type: edge, pulse, level (to be added)

Hardware trigger type: edge

Trigger source: CH1/CH2/EXT

Test Signal generater: 10Hz to 1Mhz

Storage: internal 2MB USB disk

Auto measure: Vmax, Vmin, Vpp, Vavr, Vrms, Freq, Period, Pulse, Duty

Cursor measurement: Level, Voltage

Display mode: CH1, CH2, EXT, CH1+CH2, CH1-CH2, CH1*CH2

Sampling mode: real time

Sampling rate: 1kSa/s - 72MSa/S

Power: Lipo battery

Dimension: 98 * 60 * 14.5

Weight: 80g (without battery)

Accesories within Pack: 2 mueller mcx osilloscope probe, 2 digital probe,

They also have a one channel that is $80

I ended up buying an Xprotolab from Gabotronics. (Support those sponsors! :D )

It was only $40US, and it's a very nice piece of kit! I'm sure I'll want a 'proper' o-scope in the future (Rigol - $400US), but this will do everything I need for now (2ch scope, wave form generator, etc.).

Okay, I started this mess, so here goes:

WorkArea_thumb.jpg

This is a five or six-foot folding table (good story how I got it free...). The only things that are unusual are things I made myself, and the small parts binder.

The small parts binder has a bunch of 3.5" floppy diskette (remember those?) pocket pages. I keep resistors separated by value this way (up to ~20 pieces per pocket), also LEDs, transistors, diodes, flat capacitors, etc.. Electrolytic capacitors tend to fall out (too thick). I also have a few CD-ROM pocket pages for bulkier amounts/sizes (electrolytic capacitors, large packs of small components). I keep reference pages on the covers. I found this idea on the interwebs; it works great.

I made the rack for the breadboard leads/test leads out of a leftover piece of ~3/32" acrylic. I heated it, bent it, and cut slots in it with my "Dremel". Keeps them out of the way and handy.

I also made a wall mount for my DMM. It has storage slots for the probes on the back of the rubber cover, but nothing to coil the leads. I glued some dowels to a piece of MDF and screwed it to the wall. Again, out of the way, but handy.

You can't see it in the photo, but my homemade magnifying light/fume fan has a 60mm computer fan mounted just under the magnifying lens to suck soldering fumes away. Works okay, but not great. In the fan's bottom screw holes, I mounted some bright white LEDs to light my work. Again, okay, but not great. You'll notice I have a cheap LED "camping light" ($1.75 from Meritline.com) stuck on there too. I use that for extra light wherever I need it.

Programming is usually done upstairs, at my desk. If I need it in the basement, I bring my "mobile tinkering" setup.

That's my stuff. Your turn, you voyeurs!

-Doc

Everything on one DESK. ;)

What's the blue box for?

That is Cyclone Pro Freescale MCU programmer and Debugger. :)

Bit late to the party, but this is a picture of my desk. Old, cramped and dirty :P

deskgb.jpg

i do most of my soldering and tinkering on my solid oak 25 year old "living room" table, or quick breadboard testing on the chair set next to my PC's. But really, since i have a one room appartment, the whole place is working/storage space. Beside the bathroom and the majority of my kitchen corner, i think there are no 10 square inches without parts and/or cables ;) so kinda hard to take a picture of one space.

Edit: Hmm, how do i make the full picture appear? there are 3 monitors there :P

My Mess..

I think this is the natural state of things. I keep cleaning up my workspace, but it seems to inexorably tend toward a condition similar to your photo... :|