GeekDoc

Share pics of your workspace setup

105 posts in this topic

lol i should have put it in a panorama, with my couch and coffee table as well lol

my whole floor is covered with datasheets and bread boards and things yet to be taken apart, not shown

Doc,

No need to be jealous. I don't have a hot air gun, I just wish I did :-P. For those of you who are wondering, the convection over/solder paste trick actually does work if your careful.

And gatesphere. I saw that Rubiks cube in there! :-P

NJC

Oops, I should've posted here first instead of on the main page.

workspace-e1290223667111.jpg

I know, the first thing you'll notice is all those toys!

I collect these japanese robot models called Gundams. I know I am a "grown up kid".

The black shelf on the left is where I keep all my components and mcu's.

I keep couple of programming books (and some finance books) nearby.

And hidden behind the stash of books is couple of issues of Make magazine. :)

@GeekDoc, I need a work/tool station like that. I love it.

@bluehash/gatesphere/NJC, what do you guys recommend for soldering iron. I have a cheapo one that serves my needs, but I hear pencil thin soldering iron is really good for SMD work, and small components?

bluehash likes this

@simpleavr: i have 4 of them. bought some extra for myself and wanted give one to a friend who i am trying to get into mcu's. You can buy 8 of those launchpads for the cost of single arduino board. :-)

I counted those boxes too :)

Interesting stuff:

I see 43oh, two mice and a Panavise.

@bluehash/gatesphere/NJC, what do you guys recommend for soldering iron. I have a cheapo one that serves my needs, but I hear pencil thin soldering iron is really good for SMD work, and small components?

I have the Aoyue 2901. Its been perfect for my needs.

@bluehash

haha good eye. Panavise, multi-hand helper hidden behind it. Next to it is breadboard with nerdkit on it along with avrisp-MkII.

Along with the box of launchpad is 2 boxes of ez430-chronos. I ended up with 2 of them since TI sent me a defective one first time around and let me keep it while replacing it with a new one. Gotta love TI.

I have 2 mice because one of them is a Razer gaming mouse which didn't work too well with my kvm switch. I have 2 towers (headless linux server and windows vista as gaming HP box), and 1 nettop (ubuntu desktop) behind my monitors. My keyboard is connected to kvm which is connected to my windows HP box and linux nettop box.

Thanks for the soldering iron suggestion, btw.

bluehash likes this

Yes, you are definetly correct. Not everyone has a clean workspace, but I guess if you know where everything is .......

Btw, I use an 852d+ rework station made by saike, but it looks just like the hakko.

post-282-135135494268_thumb.jpg

@Bluehash

Yes, I can take better pictures, but I cannot upload them. It says invalid file type when I try to upload jpg pictures from my digital camera. The one you see is a jpg from my web cam. Is there a size limit on attachment files? I can send them to you personally if you PM me. As for the mess, you know that is how my workspace usually is. I did not clean it up for photos, but I do give it a good cleaning about twice a year. When I am creating I tend to be extremely focused. My life is also hectic with school and work, so I do not get a lot of time to spend in the lab. When I was a kid, my mother got me a bumper sticker that said "Genius thrives on clutter." Man, I wish I still had that one. ;)

Btw the spring cleaning happens the week before February 28. I get a week off in between semesters.

cheers

I think there is a max size restriction. Mail me your setup at admin at 43oh dot com.

I should look for that sticker. Same with my workspace. My brain knows where everything is within clutter. The moment I clean up, it becomes tough to find stuff - oh well.

@Geekdoc

...Yea I got that one off ebay for about $100us. Originally I bought a Snap-on Vantage in like 1999 (mechanic remember). The tool is great and I updated the database all the way until they stopped supporting it. About 2006 I bought a used Sun Ls2000 2 channel scope, also Snap-on, because it had a better sample rate and the vantage just could not keep up with what I wanted to do. In 2008 I decided to build a scope because I wanted to just leave my ls2000 at work, and the vantage is too slow, so I built an open source one called a lsc-1m which is described on the Instructibles community at:

http://www.instructables.com/id/LCS-1M- ... Oscillosc/

It can handle like 20k and 20v. He has a new design based in a Microchip DsPic that will support 1m sample, But I already bought the analog one in the picture. It is a Hitachi V-1070. It is significantly harder to setup than a digital scope, but it does look cooler in pictures. It can handle some serious power, like 400v or something, and has a max 100m sample rate. It works fine, but I was thinking about getting it calibrated. I know that you can't see in that picture, but I also have a 2m function generator to the left of the scope. I emailed Bluehash some more detailed pictures.

Doc,

I bought an oscilloscope about 2 months ago and its been the best money I've ever spent. It's SO useful its amazing. I'm sure lots of people have heard about the one I got, but I thought I'd mention it again. The Rigol DS1052E - $400. I haven't tested the spectrogram feature yet (who knows how well that works), but everything I've done on the scope worked perfect. The front panel is responsive and overall, I am very impressed. I like it much more than the stupid low end Tektronix scopes in the labs at school. I was gonna do a review on my blog of the scope, but figured thats not the best content for my blog. It's a great scope though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MY ... B003MYND5A

Edit: I also forgot to mention that I got a cheap old analog HP signal generator on eBay. Is useful, but wasn't worth the $40 I spent on it. I have a bunch of problems with it. Digital signal generators are the way to go.

Ok, I am going to "keep it real" with you guys. I am a complete slob. I live with my girlfriend, and she's pretty much given up on cleaning up after me. I'm just lucky I don't get yelled at every day about it. Sometimes I clean and organize, but it looks like this again after a week or so. I could have tidied up a bit, but then I'd be living a lie! So, as promised, things are about to get "real" in this mofo.

post-177-135135494941_thumb.jpg

post-177-135135494945_thumb.jpg

post-177-135135494951_thumb.jpg

bluehash likes this

I love to see other people's workdesks:

- Why you no use other screen? dual screens are awesome!

- Lots of air blasters(3)

- Are you a musician?

- Looks like you took the pic after working late/long hours.

I love to see other people's workdesks:

- Why you no use other screen? dual screens are awesome!

- Lots of air blasters(3)

- Are you a musician?

- Looks like you took the pic after working late/long hours.

- I do often use the dual screens. The second monitor is on an arm that I can extend. I think I pushed it back a couple days ago when I was messing with something that took up a lot of space. I usually keep the my IDE on the main, and documents, etc. on the second.

- About the air blasters -- bought one, realized it didn't have the red tube, so I just figured I'd buy another with a tube. Then, the gf's parents got me one as part of a christmas present. I thought that was a weird gift. I guess they really think I'm a geek!

- I've played guitar for a long time, had some electronic drums for awhile, but that angered the neighbors so I sold them. I'm not great, but I'm alright, and I really enjoy playing. I like learning the more technical details about digital recording. I've used many types of music production software. Even though I don't have any formal experience or education on the matter, I feel like I'd make an alright sound engineer in a studio. Maybe.

- I do stay up late a lot working on stuff. I'm sort of a night owl. The fact that I always have several personal projects going and that I like to bounce between them really adds to the clutter. A few half-finished projects each with their own breadboard, printouts, and mess of wires get messy quick. Even when I clean, I don't want to stuff them somewhere, so clean usually still is messy.

Well, since we're all measuring one another :shock: here's my workspace.

Someday, I'll be able to afford walls. The kitties won't be able to sleep on my workbench then! 8-)

Here's the command center. An Ikea Jerker that I got for free off of Kijiji:

post-955-135135494955_thumb.jpg

Flames happen here. Okay, I measure the amount of magic smoke I let out:

post-955-135135494969_thumb.jpg

Tiny parts go on and come off on this bench when it's not a crap storage area. I love my Leica microscope. I can see into my skin with it :ugeek: :

post-955-135135494962_thumb.jpg

bluehash likes this

I've got one more photo.

I shooped this one for you all.

Notice anything?

Eh? Eh? ;);) Knudge Knudge, Say no more, Say no more!

post-955-135135494974_thumb.jpg

Nice stuff zeke.. where did you get your Leica from?

I have 2 jerkers - awesome workbenches, pic in the first post.

That's a hell lot of PC's. Do you manage a home sevser?