GeekDoc

Share pics of your workspace setup

105 posts in this topic

I was browsing through bluehash's other site, and came across this link showing his workspace (drool):

http://www.machinegrid.com/2009/12/the-jerker-geek-desk-workbench/

post-73-135135492732_thumb.jpg

Personally, I have a 6-foot folding table in the basement for my workspace (I'll add a pic later).

I would like to see pics of others' set-ups, perhaps with lists/descriptions of their main features/tools. At the very least, it would give a reason to clean up your work area! (As I must do before taking a pic. :oops: )

Anyone willing to share? Post pics of your coding/building areas (mine are separate) and the tools/equipment in them.

-Doc

jbremnant and bluehash like this

You know, I was going to start a thread on this, but did not, as I thought it would scare guys to post theirs. Thanks for the comments.

Just to let you guys know, that that workspace was built during the span of three years. Nothing in that setup is new, except for the CPU case and motherboard and a few odd things.

-The screens are second hand units.

- The entire workspace area is second hand or found on the street except for the magnifier lamp.

- Craigslist is a great source for parts. Even going around before trash day can help.

- One desk was free, the other $50.

I agree, I couldn't afford all this if I were a student.... so just post yours, no matter what. Its a workspace where you love to work. Id like to see what other people have too... even if its a laptop and a Launchpad.

jbremnant likes this

...even if its a laptop and a Launchpad.

Mobile workspace:

IMAG0155_thumb.jpg

Tinker anywhere!

My (Android) phone should be in the pic because I use it to tether (so I can keep up with the Four-Three-oh! forums) when I can't get wi-fi, but I was using it to take the photo.

I'll post pics of my main work areas as soon as I get them presentable. I'm waiting on a shipment of round tewits... :lol:

-Doc

gatImmusepete likes this

Nice!Is that JoeByte's protoboard?

Yup! I still need to get a mini-breadboard to go on it, but it's pretty handy!

I should have one of my good breadboard connectors in this group, but the original prototype was what I had in there at the moment.

Okay, I started this mess, so here goes:

WorkArea_thumb.jpg

This is a five or six-foot folding table (good story how I got it free...). The only things that are unusual are things I made myself, and the small parts binder.

The small parts binder has a bunch of 3.5" floppy diskette (remember those?) pocket pages. I keep resistors separated by value this way (up to ~20 pieces per pocket), also LEDs, transistors, diodes, flat capacitors, etc.. Electrolytic capacitors tend to fall out (too thick). I also have a few CD-ROM pocket pages for bulkier amounts/sizes (electrolytic capacitors, large packs of small components). I keep reference pages on the covers. I found this idea on the interwebs; it works great.

I made the rack for the breadboard leads/test leads out of a leftover piece of ~3/32" acrylic. I heated it, bent it, and cut slots in it with my "Dremel". Keeps them out of the way and handy.

I also made a wall mount for my DMM. It has storage slots for the probes on the back of the rubber cover, but nothing to coil the leads. I glued some dowels to a piece of MDF and screwed it to the wall. Again, out of the way, but handy.

You can't see it in the photo, but my homemade magnifying light/fume fan has a 60mm computer fan mounted just under the magnifying lens to suck soldering fumes away. Works okay, but not great. In the fan's bottom screw holes, I mounted some bright white LEDs to light my work. Again, okay, but not great. You'll notice I have a cheap LED "camping light" ($1.75 from Meritline.com) stuck on there too. I use that for extra light wherever I need it.

Programming is usually done upstairs, at my desk. If I need it in the basement, I bring my "mobile tinkering" setup.

That's my stuff. Your turn, you voyeurs!

-Doc

You can't see it in the photo, but my homemade magnifying light/fume fan has a 60mm computer fan mounted just under the magnifying lens to suck soldering fumes away. Works okay, but not great. In the fan's bottom screw holes, I mounted some bright white LEDs to light my work

I love that magnifier stand. Where did you get it from. Nice idea with the fan.

So many test leads. I can never have enough.

I love that magnifier stand. Where did you get it from. Nice idea with the fan.

The stand/arm were from a broken halogen desk lamp a friend let me have. The magnifying lens is from a hand-held one. The 40mm (not 60mm, now that I think of it) fan I had in some junk box. The tin that houses the switches on the base is from some mints they gave away at a trade show. The whole thing runs off a 9v wall-wart I had (I've got a BUNCH of old wall-warts/laptop power supplies!).

I'm rather impressed by your setup, Doc. You're awesome.

And bluehash... despite being mostly second-hand... damn. Yours is just the level of overkill I'd love to have. :)

Meh. I'm just a scrounge.

I'd say i got the vast majority of that stuff for free (including the Weller and a bunch of soldering supplies) or REALLY cheap. ;)

I used to work for the government. You wouldn't BELIEVE what they throw out sometimes! *cough* Weller *cough*

You guys have some pretty awesome spaces. And some nice tools.

<---- jealous :-P

The thing I think that is most important bluehash has in his workspace. A good set of speakers and sound equipment. It's hard to get good EE work done without some partying going on.

PS: Gatesphere, Wellers are a bit overrated and overpriced. I also vote that a hot air re-flow station is more worth the money. :-)

PS: Gatesphere, Wellers are a bit overrated and overpriced. I also vote that a hot air re-flow station is more worth the money.

If it helps, I have the AOYUE 2901 from Sparkfun. Its more than enough for what I do at home.

Well, I have a cheap $10, 30W one from Wal*mart, and it's fine enough for what I do at home... though I wish the tip was a bit finer. Just saying, eventually I'd like to have some professional quality stuff (I built my own helping hands...).

...Wellers are a bit overrated and overpriced.

I agree that Weller is no better than most, but when you get one for free, you don't complain! :D

I also vote that a hot air re-flow station is more worth the money. :-)
If it helps, I have the AOYUE 2901 from Sparkfun. Its more than enough for what I do at home.

Now I'm jealous! I would LOVE to have a hot air re-work/re-flow station! I tried to make a cheap DIY one that I saw on the intarwebs, but it didn't work at all. I have to make-do with my fine-pointed Weller and a quickly depleting supply of patience.

-Doc

Attached is a pic of my current setup. There are many things not pictured, which I leave in a drawer when I'm not using them, such as my soldering iron and helping hands.

This is my current (and at the moment, best) workspace. I'm at college right now, so I'm cramped for space, but not as much as I am at home. This actually works wonderfully for me.

And yes, a lot of my equipment came from Wal*mart. I'm cheap, but it works for now. :D

post-63-135135491613_thumb.jpg

Oh, and the font size indicates importance in the creative process :P (Yes, I value my lamps that highly... my desk is pitch black at night without them.)

I feel lucky, i use my whole living room for my workspace, and my kitchen as my soldering station.

hopefully i will have a pic up soon, but have to setup my new, vintage conar model 255 Oscilloscope

I use it to keep track of homework and appointments, and sometimes I try to schedule in time for other things. MSPhere has been written in there a few times :P

It's not a whole day planner, just a "I need to do this" weekly planner kind of thing.