Lgbeno

My Latest IoT Fail

41 posts in this topic

I thought that maybe some forum members would enjoy this cautionary tale that I wrote:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/my-epic-fail-internet-things-iot-luke-beno

It's kinda funny and has a happy ending.

Also just a quick run down on how things are going with the 2015 Hackaday prize:

Currently analog.io is ranked #35 with 56 followers, 5 comments and 29 Skulls.

The top project has 443 followers, 56 comments and 161 Skulls.

Right now it would take 55 Skulls to move to the 10th rank.

10 Finalists are going to be selected on Sept 21st.  While the judging criteria is not based solely on these stats, they still provides a clear signal to the judges that people like the projects.

I would ask very kindly, if you enjoy using analog.io, please, take a minute, sign up for Hackaday and help the project out.

Sign up here: https://hackaday.io/signin?returnUrl=%2Fproject%2F4648-analogio-a-full-stack-iot-platform

The project page:https://hackaday.io/project/4648-analogio-a-full-stack-iot-platform

Rei Vilo likes this

Ouch - that's a LOT of water.  It's pretty cool you can actually see what happened at least.  Where was the meter located that you're monitoring?  I'm pretty sure mine is under a big metal cover unfortunately but I'd love to start monitoring water consumption.

haha!  That sucks, but awesome that your IoT system actually measured it.  I was thinking this was a horror story where your IoT system actually *caused* the failure.....

Yeah all I can do is laugh, it could have been much much worse if the 9000 gallons filled my basement.

What is also funny is that I called the local water department and told them what happened. Her reaction was very nonchalant. Said "we don't even start to worry until you lose 20,000 gallons." I feel sorry for that guy! She estimated about $50-$60 worth of water.

I guess its a good thing that I don't live in AZ or CA...

But yes it would be much worse if the spill was cause by a IoT actuator. Luckily, so far I have spent all of my time on sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hahaha ! reading the comment on that page . . .

1cf8039.jpgGreg Burneske

Director, OEM Products - New Business Development

Hey Luke. The company I used to work for -- Winland Electronics -- makes the perfect solution for this problem. Check out the EA800 IP and Waterbug sensor.

Guess the point of the post was entirely lost on him ! Well, maybe not entirely as it did kind of give him an excuse to "spam" you hehehe ;)

Haha, yes he didn't quite catch the point. Making the sensor is the most fun! I do know Greg though, I interviewed with him awhile back but ended up working somewhere else.

Done, +1 skull!

Thanks! The project is moving up the ranks, #30 now with 36 skulls thanks to 43oh members.

Surprisingly, the next 3 skulls would move the project up another 5 spots.

Thanks! The project is moving up the ranks, #30 now with 36 skulls thanks to 43oh members.

Surprisingly, the next 3 skulls would move the project up another 5 spots.

Luke, Where is the ranking list?

By the way, with everyone's help, the project is now number 22, thats exciting.

With only 9 more skulls the project can jump 7 spots to number 15!

Heres a fun pic from this weekend:

25e247c9d9f2ca9da37be7bb02912387.jpg

cubeberg, chicken, tripwire and 1 other like this

Obviously needs more range :)

That's pretty funny :)

But atleast analog.io is not a direct rip off of another project that's been on the web for years .  . . Such as the Now ranked #5 spot. Tim Nolan did the same thing years ago, even made a blog post on the subject. Now . . . his blog page is mysteriously exhibiting an "Apache error".

That's pretty funny :)

But atleast analog.io is not a direct rip off of another project that's been on the web for years . . . Such as the Now ranked #5 spot. Tim Nolan did the same thing years ago, even made a blog post on the subject. Now . . . his blog page is mysteriously exhibiting an "Apache error".

Thanks @@timotet!

As for the originality of other entires. I do have hope that the judges flesh this out in the final 10. My fear would be that 100 entries is a lot to do this level of diligence on so I want to continue to promote the project and keep accumulating skulls so there's no question that analog.io has what it takes to make the finals :)

As for the originality of other entires. I do have hope that the judges flesh this out in the final 10. My fear would be that 100 entries is a lot to do this level of diligence on so I want to continue to promote the project and keep accumulating skulls so there's no question that analog.io has what it takes to make the finals :)

Many of those projects in the top 10 will be hard to beat. Even though I personally have little to no interest in most of the subjects, I can see how many people could have interest in them.

To be perfectly honest though. I see nothing on the list that stands out as a "DIY / Maker space" major contribution. Granted, I'm not sure what it would take for me to think "OMG that is awesome . . ."

EDIT:

That is to say: I have a couple of projects on my own plate that could be in the HaD project contest - And I'm not even sure they would qualify as "earth shattering" either.

Many of those projects in the top 10 will be hard to beat. Even though I personally have little to no interest in most of the subjects, I can see how many people could have interest in them.

To be perfectly honest though. I see nothing on the list that stands out as a "DIY / Maker space" major contribution. Granted, I'm not sure what it would take for me to think "OMG that is awesome . . ."

EDIT:

That is to say: I have a couple of projects on my own plate that could be in the HaD project contest - And I'm not even sure they would qualify as "earth shattering" either.

I hear you, there are for sure some great projects in the mix. I just keep my head down and keep plowing forward. I feel like consistency is key. That and validation from other community members through skulls and testimonial comments.

I think that the challenge will be having a project that holds true to the "build something that matters" theme. I can make a case for mine, it isn't as compelling as some of the other top 10 projects IMO. Still, the same argument is true for a robotic arm or a solar charger.

It is what it is at this point regardless of who wins I'll be happy that it cause me to improve analog.io and do more documentation of it.

Hmm, it's unclear if that is part of the rules. Notice that some projects are carry overs from the year previous

Instructables is a good place for contests too. There's currently an Epilog laser cutter up for grabs. Not quite the same level of prizes, but a lower bar for winning. That's where I got my 3D printer.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk