Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Johann

Developing with multiple Launchpad simultaneously

5 posts in this topic

I have multiple MSP-EXP430G2 rev 1.5 dev kits. I am trying to create an application where one launchpad is the I2C master and sends commands to multiple connected launchpads acting as I2C slaves. When I have a single launchpad connected I can successfully upload a program. When I connect multiple launchpads I am unable to upload a program to all the devices. It seems that Energia is always uploading my program to the first enumerated serial port regardless of which port I have actively selected in the menu (Tools >> Serial Port >> COM7). I am using Energia 0101E0016. 

I can workaround this by unplugging all my dev kits and uploading the programs one at a time. It's a bit cumbersome, but it works. However it would be awesome if I could just leave all my dev kits connected and select which launchpad to target. Has anyone been able to upload to multiple devices without constantly plugging/unplugging?

You could try a USB switch (not a common item, but I am pretty sure I have seen them).

On the stellaris launchpads I have sometimes used the power switch (but don't have that on the 430 LP).

One might be able to wire the serial lines up to a serial switch (i.e. use one programmer section, but have it connected to multiple launchpads through a switch - old serial switches should be easy to come by second hand).

Does TI's flashing utility work with multiple MSP launchpads attached?

(e.g. could you rig up a script to do the flashing using an external program).

I ended up using a Particle Photon dev kit as the I2C master. I can update the Photon firmware wireless without burning a COM port. Not the ideal solution, but I can update both the master and slave programs without plugging/unplugging either device from my one machine.

tripwire likes this