Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yyrkoon

Act of god chip decapping.

20 posts in this topic

Our internet had been down for ~ a week because "god" decided he wanted to decap / let the blue smoke out of a realtech chip in our PoE ethernet switch we had in a remote location.( it's how we bounce internet back to us ).

https://picasaweb.google.com/106867156582775247949/August192015

I'll try to get a better picture, but unfortunately I do not have a macro lens for my DSLR . . .

post-3-0-56689000-1440021282_thumb.jpg

Edited by bluehash
[ADMIN] Added image.

Our internet had been down for ~ a week because "god" decided he wanted to decap / let the blue smoke out of a realtech chip in our PoE ethernet switch we had in a remote location.( it's how we bounce internet back to us ).

https://picasaweb.google.com/106867156582775247949/August192015

I'll try to get a better picture, but unfortunately I do not have a macro lens for my DSLR . . .

Huzzah! You get the smoke award!

yyrkoon likes this

Huzzah! You get the smoke award!

lol !

@@spirilis well our internet has to come from a grid tied source right ? Our internet is actually DSL thats bounced back at us about a mile away.

EDIT:

So to answer more fully. Our internet comes from a neighbors property. They're on grid. We had about $300 worth of wireless / network gear over there. The PoE switch, which was $200 USD ( netgear PoE switch ), and a WDS router. Which communicates with a WDS router on our end. Both died, but the WDS routers are only like $99 each, and they're also garbage. The WDS routers are also MAC linked which would make spoofing / waring our routers very difficult - But not impossible. Theyy are jammable though . . . anyway, the WDS router over there suffered the same failure ( decapped chip), but it was not as spectacular as the PoE switch.

Also for what it's worth. The missing bit on that chip was vaporized . . . e.g. no where to be found inside the case.

spirilis likes this

Also interesting to some perhaps. During full blown monsoon season here our routers routinely get reset by static discharges from lightning strikes in the area. Generally, if they're within a couple miles, our routers reset.

Taking lightning strike photo's has become a lesser hobby of mine - Well since before living here, but here there are many times when I can get several a day.

Holy!

That reminds me when a friend blew up a LD298 H-Bridge, it looks almost like a bullet ricochet on it. The max I did was once with a LD293 that cracked in half because I reversed the polarity. Barely touched for a fraction of a second but still did that damage.

Was that really a lightning strike?

@yyrkoon    you may want to take a look at this article. Although it is a bit dated, for lightning prone areas it still might be a good answer.

http://circuitcellar.com/cc-blog/a-real-world-look-at-lighting/      Condensed version of article

http://circuitcellar.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/CC90-1998-CiarciaBachiochi.pdf     Full article in PDF format.

Holy!

That reminds me when a friend blew up a LD298 H-Bridge, it looks almost like a bullet ricochet on it. The max I did was once with a LD293 that cracked in half because I reversed the polarity. Barely touched for a fraction of a second but still did that damage.

Was that really a lightning strike?

Yes. ON a transformer next to or just down the street from the location. Not sure which, was fixed by the time we got over there.

It sucks you blew the equipment, but I highly approve of the artistic result! LOL

Funny story. The first thing I thought about after seeing the chip blowout was taking a picture and sharing it here. I figured others would appreciate it too ;) Not often you get to see the results of a PCB / chip being effected by a lightning strike heh

:D  "Absolute maximum ratings exceeded"

I lost an ethernet chip to a lightning strike once.  The rest of the motherboard worked fine for years afterwards.  

Revelation: you managed fine for (about) a week without internet.

I feel like a Junky though when my internet goes away . . . as I rely on it heavily for documentation, and such.

@@bluehash

Maybe time for 2x award . . . as our "new" WDS router took an act of god decapping too . .  heh. This one blew out in the center of the chip, after the lightning strike burned up a cap, which then arced to the case, and blew a chunk of casing out of the center of the Atheros chip. Well was actually closer to one corner of the chip, but you can see the processor die . . . I'll try to get a picture up in a couple of days. But this strike also took out the transformer at the location as well as "popped" the fuse on the pole.

The power company is just now considering putting a blade( lightning rod ) on the pole after 3 years consecutive strikes on the same pole . . . but it being so arid here, it can sometimes be hard to get a good solid earth ground. So we'll probably see how that works out next year ;)

@@yyrkoon

Depending upon the distance between your property and your neigbour's property, you should consider installing a fiber optic link between the two of you.

For example, here is a media converter that will do the job.  The seller is in Texas as well!

• Grab a pair of them.
  • Install the singlemode fiber cable (the hardest part).
  • Install LC connectors.
  • Connect together in crossover configuration i.e.:TX (side 1) to RX (side 2).
  • Power them up.
  • Start using the internet.

Benefits: opto-isolated, non-conductive, 1 Gbps link, distance range of 40kms

Bonus: SFP module in the media converter is replaceable just incase something really bad goes wrong

@@yyrkoon

Depending upon the distance between your property and your neigbour's property, you should consider installing a fiber optic link between the two of you.

For example, here is a media converter that will do the job.  The seller is in Texas as well!

• Grab a pair of them.
  • Install the singlemode fiber cable (the hardest part).
  • Install LC connectors.
  • Connect together in crossover configuration i.e.:TX (side 1) to RX (side 2).
  • Power them up.
  • Start using the internet.

Benefits: opto-isolated, non-conductive, 1 Gbps link, distance range of 40kms

Bonus: SFP module in the media converter is replaceable just incase something really bad goes wrong

Not very likely to happen. Our neighbor is around 1mi away. Couple that with hard dry soil, sandstone, and phone lines in the way . . . yeah I would not even want to try.

Yikes! Post a pic and I'll assign it to you. :)

Edit: On second thought.. I doubt I can give you 2x. I can add your post to the award link.

heh I was mostly kidding.