Nolan

Firmware Update Error

18 posts in this topic

HI,

I have a MSP430fr5969 Board. I have written several program successfully to the board with Energia and have V2.0 or higher.

On a random upload, I received an error message "FET firmware update is required", "Re-run with --allow-fw-update to preform a firmware update.", tilib: device initialization failed." 

A separate window also appears saying: "The firmware of your launchpad programmer needs an update. You will need to update......"tools" menu."

When I use the Update Programmer button from the "Tools" tab, it fails to update the programmer on some occasions. On others it is successful and flashes the green and red LED after completion. 

After a successful update the upload of a program to the board still fails. 

Any Ideas.?

This problem originated when trying to run a "Servo Sweep" example, but now occurs even with a simple "Blink LED." 

Are you using CCS on occasion with the board? It might be updating the FET firmware too. What O/S btw? If Linux there are some udev entries that make the "Update Programmer" stuff work better.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk 4

Are you using CCS on occasion with the board? It might be updating the FET firmware too. What O/S btw? If Linux there are some udev entries that make the "Update Programmer" stuff work better.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk 4

No. I have deleted CCS from my computer completely. I am in Windows. 

No. I have deleted CCS from my computer completely. I am in Windows. 

So after a "successful update" of the FET firmware, exactly what error message are you getting when you try to upload a sketch?

When I had both CCS 5 and 6 installed, I found that they could both insist that their version of the firmware was the right one. I found the easiest way to sort out FET firmware was to use the latest version of MSP Flasher.

Be careful if you have an early version of that launchpad with the XMS430FR5969 chip. A FET firmware update can render it unable to communicate with this deprecated microcontroller. Later versions are fine.

abecedarian likes this

So after a "successful update" of the FET firmware, exactly what error message are you getting when you try to upload a sketch?

"FET firmware update is required."

"Re-run with --allow-fw-update to perform a firmware update."

"tilib: device initialization failed"

In addition a separate window appears with a message saying to update the TI programmer. 

When I had both CCS 5 and 6 installed, I found that they could both insist that their version of the firmware was the right one. I found the easiest way to sort out FET firmware was to use the latest version of MSP Flasher.

Be careful if you have an early version of that launchpad with the XMS430FR5969 chip. A FET firmware update can render it unable to communicate with this deprecated microcontroller. Later versions are fine.

I uninstalled everything, re-installed from the website the newest version of energia and did not place any CCS files on my computer. The program was able to upload but then again at a seemingly random upload decided to not work and produce the same errors. I have the new version of the fr5969 board with energy trace. Again the errors occurred when working with the servo sweep program (although I am not sue this is related).  

MSP Flasher (rather than CCS or Energia) is the best way to sort out any firmware issues. It shows you what firmware you have and lets you quickly and easily update it. If you suspect the firmware does need updating then that's the tool to check/fix it for you. Whilst the IDE may do the firmware update I've found they can be a little flaky on this.

http://www.ti.com/tool/msp430-flasher

As far as Energia goes, I stay well clear of it so can't help you there.

Nolan likes this

MSP Flasher (rather than CCS or Energia) is the best way to sort out any firmware issues. It shows you what firmware you have and lets you quickly and easily update it. If you suspect the firmware does need updating then that's the tool to check/fix it for you. Whilst the IDE may do the firmware update I've found they can be a little flaky on this.

http://www.ti.com/tool/msp430-flasher

As far as Energia goes, I stay well clear of it so can't help you there.

Fred,

I have downloaded the MSP flashers. I now have two folders "fetdrivers" and "MSP430Flasher_1.3.3." As a new programmer, I am unsure of where to go from here. Could you please provide some guidance on how to implement this. 

Just run mspflasher.exe from the command line (in the MSP430Flasher_1.3.3 folder). It should tell you what FET and MSP430 is connected and let you upgrade the FET. It's also used for flashing firmware - hence the name.

Nolan likes this

Just run mspflasher.exe from the command line (in the MSP430Flasher_1.3.3 folder). It should tell you what FET and MSP430 is connected and let you upgrade the FET. It's also used for flashing firmware - hence the name.

Thank you! This seems to have solved the problem for now. I will update again if the problem occurs again.

Back to the drawing boards.....

The Firmware update needed problem has resurfaced after only a few successful upload attempts. Running the mspflasher has the following results:

-It informs me my software is out of date

-It gives the option to update

-I accept

-It runs a successful update and writes to the board

-It closes itself out

Returning to energia to upload code, and the error in uploading still occurs. 

Back to the drawing boards.....

The Firmware update needed problem has resurfaced after only a few successful upload attempts. Running the mspflasher has the following results:

-It informs me my software is out of date

-It gives the option to update

-I accept

-It runs a successful update and writes to the board

-It closes itself out

Returning to energia to upload code, and the error in uploading still occurs. 

Ok, so Energia is clearly using a different version of the MSP430.DLL debug library than MSPFlasher or CCS or whatever you used before.

Locate MSP430.DLL in Energia.  It's usually in <energia install>\hardware\tools\msp430\mspdebug or similar.  Rename it e.g. MSP430.DLL-BAK

Locate MSP430.DLL in the MSPFlasher install.  Copy it to <energia install>\hardware\tools\msp430\mspdebug

Should work from there on out.

Also to be clear, use Energia 15 since it's the latest.  Get any old versions of Energia out of the equation here.  I think there was an mspdebug upgrade 1 or 2 versions back that was necessary to support the updated MSP430.DLL revision.

Also to be clear, use Energia 15 since it's the latest.  Get any old versions of Energia out of the equation here.  I think there was an mspdebug upgrade 1 or 2 versions back that was necessary to support the updated MSP430.DLL revision.

I have replaced the files with those from the MSPFlasher folder.

Still no success. 

I have replaced the files with those from the MSPFlasher folder.

Still no success. 

Let the Update Programmer tool run.  Or see if MSPFlasher can run the update.  The FET needs to be loaded with the version of MSP430.DLL debug firmware used by both MSPFlasher and (now) Energia.

Let the Update Programmer tool run.  Or see if MSPFlasher can run the update.  The FET needs to be loaded with the version of MSP430.DLL debug firmware used by both MSPFlasher and (now) Energia.

I have closed everything, re-run the in Energia "Update Programmer" tool, and have re-run the mspflasher cmd file. This only temporarily solved my problem. The error reoccurred after a few uploads. 

Rerunning both update methods did not solve the problem this time. 

Another thing worth noting....

When the MSPFlasher is run, "the firmware of your FET is outdated" displays every time it is run. This even happens imediatly after a successful run to update it. 

Also, recently while updating the program from within energia:

"tilib: MSP430_VCC: could not set device Vcc (error = 10)

"tilib: device initialization failed"