lawrence_jeff

Launchpad USB example and documentation additions/labs

69 posts in this topic

@@lawrence_jeff

Completely rewrote the debouncing and USB transmit routines.  All switches are now debounced through a buffer as per your suggestions, and USB transmits only happen when there is a change in state.  Updated on my Github https://github.com/Rhys79/Launchpad-Mame-Control.  Attached is the updated code.

Fully tested and functional if the R9/10 resistors are removed with the exception of the trackball input.  I added a #define for a mouse scalar value as well, as you indicated the value may need scaling depending on the input device resolution.

Let me know what you think!

Sounds awesome, I will test it out and get back to you!

@@lawrence_jeff

Did you get a change to check the code with your trackball?  Want to make sure the mouse code works correctly.

Next project is to modularize the code and add a defines header to make it easy to change out what the device presents as and add a DFU bootloader.  Then I can code a front end configuration tool to allow end users to custom configure it.

Sounds awesome, I will test it out and get back to you!

Ok - I forked your code and made the changes required for my device (I have less buttons on mine). The trackball code worked fine except you need to put () before the multiply (I think without it is multiplying the -127 * 2.)

Great work, it seems to do the job quite well - Keep us in the loop as you make other improvements!!

I made some changes to your code in my revision though:

• Moved all the pin assignments to Mame_pins.c and h (I only have pad 1 defined in .c at this point)
  • Moved the X and Y reads of the trackball to the StoreSwitches function so all the reads were together
  • Simplified the CustomHid handler to remove the loops and the extra variables
  • Renamed some of the variables a bit to make it more readable
  • Added comments
  • Used the Max_Checks to also control how often the CustomHid function is ran

You can see the changes here if you want to use any

https://github.com/lawrence-jeff/Launchpad-Mame-Control

@@lawrence_jeff

I'll correct the math on the trackball code in my code and update it.

I'm glad it all works well, this is the first MCU project I've written essentially from scratch and actually gotten to work correctly.  Thank you so much for all of your assistance and input through the process.  I likely wouldn't have made it this far without it.

Like I mentioned, now that I have the mechanics down and a functional code base to start with, I plan on doing a complete fork and rewrite to make the whole thing modular and configurable through a header file.  Once I get that working, I will attempt to write a graphical frontend for it that will allow a user to drag and drop various arcade controls onto a virtual control panel and assign them to whatever GPIO pins they would like.  It will then generate the necessary header file, compile the code, and send it to the device using a DFU bootloader.  TI provides a ready-made DFU bootloader for the Tiva chips, so that part will be easy.  Modularizing the code into separate files that can be loaded in as functions through the header file shouldn't be too hard either.  I do have to figure out how to modularize the USB stack though so I can change the HID devices without having to recompile the entire USB library every time.  I have an idea for that, and I'll get back with you on it once I've fleshed it out.

Again, thank you for all the help!

--Edit--

I left the mouse delta reads in the HID change handler routine rather than the store switches routine so as to not waste CPU cycles reading the value when it wasn't necessary.  It's redundant to call it every systick rather than every MAXCHECK systicks.  Not that it likely matters as there should be plenty of CPU cycles to spare between 1ms systicks, but it just seemed redundant to me.  If anything, I would stuff it in the debounceSwitches routine, as that also only gets called every MAXCHECK systicks.  That's probably where I'll stick it when I modularize the code.

I'm more accustomed to working with 8Mhz Atmel code where I'm pushing the limits of the processor to complete things in time, so I generally try to avoid wasted CPU cycles whenever possible.  The Tiva is about 10 times faster, so I have a little more wiggle room on it than I'm used to....

@@bluehash - Thank you, it's only a prototype, but it's a start.

@@lawrence_jeff - I found a nifty little macro while looking through the composite HID example that just might make things a little easier on me now that I'm starting to break this down into something I can drop a configuration set over a USB CDC serial connection into EEPROM to make it easily reconfigurable as to what devices it presents as and what pins are assigned to what functions.  HWREGBITW makes it quite simple to read from or write to a single bit in an unsigned long.  Should make it much simpler to read in all of the ports, debounce, and then pick through the individual bits to grab what I need and reassign it into signed char arrays based on the configuration data to send out as USB updates.

Still working on the logical flow of how I want to go about what I want to do, but I'm starting to get a rough idea now.  I'll keep you posted as I progress on it.  I'll start a project thread for it once I get the basic framework straightened out in my head.

Wow!  Thank you for this walkthrough and examples.

I got the Volume demo working.  And it also controls the volume of my phone when I connect the LaunchPad to my phone with an OTG cable such as this.  I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus.  I suspect this will work with any Android device running Ice Cream Sandwich or later and supporting USB Host.

With the LED blink application that came on the LaunchPad, I could connect just one USB cable to the DEBUG port which would both power the device and serve as a serial communications port for a terminal application.  So I wasn't expecting to have to connect a second USB cable to the DEVICE port for the Volume example.  Is it possible to use just one of the LaunchPad's USB ports for both power and the custom HID interface?

How are you planning to install this into your game controller?  Are you going to power the controller with one USB cable and use another for the HID interface?

Single cable.  There is a switch between the two ports the switches which USB port is used for power.  By default the device ships with the switch set to debug.  Switch it the other way and it will pull power from the device port instead so you only need one cable for power and device interface.

kkrambo likes this

@lawrence_jeff

Thank you very much for your code and examples. I am having trouble getting the code working however. I have compiled both the volume control example, as well as the gamepad example. It builds and will run on the stellaris launchpad, but it does not connect. It stays 'red', and always enters the loop: while(!g_bConnected)

@all Does anyone know how why my computer doesnt detect the new device?

many thanks!

Jesse

I have figured it out, it only works when I connect to device. However when I run the gamepad example, the correct drivers dont seem to install. It shows up as Gamepad example, but gamepad drivers are not installed. 

Is this perhaps because the g_pSerialNumberString was already detected on my computer as a Volume control device?

many thanks

Jesse

I have figured it out, it only works when I connect to device. However when I run the gamepad example, the correct drivers dont seem to install. It shows up as Gamepad example, but gamepad drivers are not installed. 

Is this perhaps because the g_pSerialNumberString was already detected on my computer as a Volume control device?

many thanks

Jesse

Sometimes Windows does get confused. I thought I had some info in the document about that but don't have it in front of me. If you change the PID it should see it as a new device. (Shouldn't be necessary if you delete the device)

@@lawrence_jeff

thank you for the quick reply. I've changed the pid in usb_dev_custom_structs.c to USB_PID_GAMEPAD following the documentation and as well deleted the device but it still doesnt appear as a gamepad. The same happens when I load the usb_dev_gamepad project, the code will run, but incorrect driver.

Additionally, I plugged in the launchpad to a 'fresh' computer to see what driver it would install and the same thing happens.

Is there a way to force the right driver?

@@lawrence_jeff I figured I would try out the keyboard and mouse example to see if the proper drivers install. Following the documentation I made the changes to usb_dev_custom and usbhidcustom.c/.h. However, when I deploy neither does the computer install the correct drivers, nor does it send keyboard commands, what is sent is continuous volume 'UP' as seen on my pc.

When I try to run the usb_dev_KeyandMouse example a continuous alternating volumeUp volumeDown stream is sent. I dont know where In the code this is originating from...

any ideas why this might be happening?

many thanks

Jesse

@lawrence_jeff i've finally come back to working on the Lauchpad and have been very unsuccessful at getting the gamepad example running. 

In windows it still does not show up as a gamepad and does nothing when plugged in, and in linux when I push SW1 the volume increases/decreases very rapidly.  

I dont know why this is happening. I have attached usb_dev_custom.c as well as usbhidcustom.c and usbhidcustom.h. Would it be possible for someone to take a look and let me know what im doing wrong?

many thanks

Jesse

usb_dev_custom.c

usb_dev_custom_structs.c

usb_dev_custom_structs.h

usbdhidcustom.c

usbdhidcustom.h

Is there any other information I can provide in order to clarify where this problem is originating from? 

Is there alternatively another example program which sets up the LM4F120 as a gamepad? (I know there is an example from the TM4C123GXL, can this be compiled for the LM4F120?)

@@lawrence_jeff, @@Rhys

Hi guys and thanks for your work here. I know this is an old thread, but I've got a couple of question's and maybe you have the answers.

I've used the supplied code for building an arcade control encoder for a raspberry pie arcade cabinet. The controls consist of

2 classic arcade style joysticks and 14 buttons, 1 joystick and 7 buttons for each player. I've written the device report descriptor to send 2

report ID's 1 for each player. When I plug the encoder into a windows machine it enumerates as a game pad with 2 controllers

and everything works as expected. When I plug it into any of my linux machines including the rpi, the encoder enumerates and

everything works except for the x- , y- axis values. My first question do you have any idea what values are expected for the -x, -y?

In the device descriptor I've set logical minimum to -1, logical maximum to 1. I've set up my descriptor just like the example in the USB spec.

Also did either of you use the gamepads discussed above in a linux based system?

post-36-0-29026500-1485803065_thumb.jpgpost-36-0-72850500-1485803165_thumb.jpg

This is so close!

I am using the Stellaris Launchpad for this.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

thanks

Tim

@@lawrence_jeff, @@Rhys

Hi guys and thanks for your work here. I know this is an old thread, but I've got a couple of question's and maybe you have the answers.

I've used the supplied code for building an arcade control encoder for a raspberry pie arcade cabinet. The controls consist of

2 classic arcade style joysticks and 14 buttons, 1 joystick and 7 buttons for each player. I've written the device report descriptor to send 2

report ID's 1 for each player. When I plug the encoder into a windows machine it enumerates as a game pad with 2 controllers

and everything works as expected. When I plug it into any of my linux machines including the rpi, the encoder enumerates and

everything works except for the x- , y- axis values. My first question do you have any idea what values are expected for the -x, -y?

In the device descriptor I've set logical minimum to -1, logical maximum to 1. I've set up my descriptor just like the example in the USB spec.

Also did either of you use the gamepads discussed above in a linux based system?

attachicon.gifLP.jpgattachicon.gifcab.jpg

This is so close!

I am using the Stellaris Launchpad for this.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

thanks

Tim

Its been long enough that I would have to take a look to figure it out - can you post your code? Or email lawrence underscore jeff at hotmail.

timotet likes this