Lgbeno

analog.io

12 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Awhile back I posted some info on a project that I was working on called imp.guru.  Basically it was a plotting front end for data.sparkfun.com where you can enter your stream public key and then plot data.  In my mind imp.guru was pretty successful, so far users have added  219 streams, some of then receiving more than 2000 views and the site gets about 100 visits per day.  That's nothing for most other web apps but considering that I haven't really done that much marketing, I think that it is a success, especially for what I would consider a "Minimum Viable Product"

Anyway, for the last 4 months I've been working on a new site called analog.io.  I'm getting ready to release it to the public but want to get a few more users involved.  @@cubeberg has been already using it for some time and as far as I know, I think that he is liking it:

http://forum.43oh.com/topic/5851-wireless-security-system-iot/#entry54389

I definitely wouldn't say that it is perfect but I really need some more beta users to help me prioritize the next set of features.  If anyone is interested in signing up, please give it a try at the following link:

http://analog.io/users/sign_up

One thing that is lacking right now is marketing content for the site, I'm still figuring out how I want to present it concisely.  But I'm attaching some screen shots so you can know what it is like before signing up.

One other note that makes analog.io totally different than any other IoT cloud service is that it has a distributed backend based on the open source library called phant.  What that means is that you can run a phant server on any hardware that you would like and analog.io can connect to it.  You could even host Phant on Raspberry Pi or a Beagle Bone and never let the data leave your LAN.  I'd definitely be interested in individuals who would like to test that out.

Otherwise there are other fun things as well such as iPython notebooks for doing data processing in the cloud and the ability to host your own isolated phant server on a dedicated Virtual Private server.

Very interested in your questions and comments!

-Luke

post-3-0-00243700-1424563458_thumb.png

post-3-0-42418700-1424563461_thumb.png

post-3-0-18591800-1424563462_thumb.png

post-3-0-06128500-1424563463_thumb.png

One thing that is lacking right now is marketing content for the site, I'm still figuring out how I want to present it concisely.  But I'm attaching some screen shots so you can know what it is like before signing up.

One other note that makes analog.io totally different than any other IoT cloud service is that it has a distributed backend based on the open source library called phant.  What that means is that you can run a phant server on any hardware that you would like and analog.io can connect to it.  You could even host Phant on Raspberry Pi or a Beagle Bone and never let the data leave your LAN.  I'd definitely be interested in individuals who would like to test that out.

-Luke

Pretty awesome!! Can Phant serve web pages? Maybe have a license model.

For marketing, writing a guest blog post for 43oh using an MSP will be very much appreciated. :) I can help that way.

@@bluehash is there a way to upload pictures still, right now the forum is limiting me to files that are 175 bytes or less

For now here's the pics on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fgl0y3kt5602hlm/AABcxDEAths2-VIfAYCQf-iXa?dl=0

Yes.. I'm having problems too. Looking into it. 

Pics added. Had to reduce them a little.

@@bluehash Thanks, the pictures look good!

I would definitely take you up on the offer to write a blog post for 43oh.  I will take me a few weeks to be ready but I'll keep you posted.

I forgot to answer your question regarding Phant serving webpages, yes it does if you add the "phant-manager-http" option. If you do this it will have a page that looks the same as data.sparkfun.com and will show stream data in tabular format, no graphs.

bluehash likes this

Forgive my ignorance,

• Are you using phant for the backend only?
  • Did you create the front end to make the data user friendly?

That

Forgive my ignorance,

• Are you using phant for the backend only?
  • Did you create the front end to make the data user friendly?

Not ignorant at all, you're exactly right.  I use phant as the backend only then my new front end interacts with the phant server's API.  My goal is exactly to make it all more user friendly and also create a social environment where people can share their data, make comments/annotations about it and fork the data scheme to create another instance of the data set.

For example, I've seen a lot of people implementing weather stations on data.sparkfun.com.  The typical weather station has 9-15 data fields, each time someone wants to create this at data.sparkfun.com, they need to re-enter each of those field names into the form, now it is just a simple fork of the dataset that came before it.  Also my assumption is that those who are interested in weather enough to create a weather station are probably interested in telling their friends about it and also finding other people across the globe with the same passion and looking at their data.

At least thats what I'm thinking, now is the test to see if users agree.

tripwire likes this

Basically a new cosom/xively? Looks like a great interface with a good feature set. Very impressive. Best of luck with the site! I'll certainly keep it in mind when I run into another streaming application/project.

Somewhere near the bottom of your homepage for non logged in users i'd recommend adding that pricing table. Some people won't bother registering unless they know beforehand the model of the site.

Edit: Also not sure why but the login button doesn't work for me. Using firefox but it may be a adblock/firewall issue. Signup worked fine. Once I logged out I couldn't get back in.

@@username, You're right, I tested the log in button in firefox and no luck.  Turns out that firefox does not like when I put an anchor tag inside of a button tag <button><a></a></button>

Issue should now be fixed.  Thanks for taking the time to report it.  Pricing table will also move out to the public side of the site soon too.  I just don't want to give the impression that the site is only useful when you pay for it, rather that there are some premium features where I need to run dedicated server that I would like payment in return for.

About Xively and Cosm, that's what I'm going for.  I'm trying not to make it exactly the same as there would be no point in doing that.  Hopefully it is just easier to use and more open and conducive to sharing than those other services.  

If anyone has suggestions on things that they dislike about other services or features that they would like that other services do not have, I'd like to hear that so it could be addressed in analog.io.