bluehash

Scan Interface Applications - Five Members Win A Target Board And An MSP-FET

85 posts in this topic

Contest time!

Five winners get a MSP-TS430PZ100($89) target board along with an MSP-FET($115). Five!

This contest is in partnership with TI. They are looking for ideas and applications that could make use of their Extended Scan Interface(pg 744) or ESI. One of the biggest markets of the MSP430 is flow metering which is where this module is widely used.

1. Come up with an application using the MSP430FR6989 chip ESI.

2. Write it down below.

3. If you win, you implement your idea with your kit and get featured on TI's MSP430 Blog.

Rules:

1. You have to have at-least 5 reputation points.

2. Keep a small project log in the Projects section. This is so that it can be published later on TI's Blog.

Dates:

• Contest begins August 15th, 2014.
  • Contest ends August 30th, 2014.
  • Winners will be announced first week of September.

msp-ts430pz100.jpg

med_msp-fet_msp-fet-flash-emulation-tool.jpg

------------------------------------------------------

abecedarian -: Water supply usage

chicken -------: Resistive touchscreen pattern detector

Fred -----------: Laser cutter coolant and temperature monitor

greeeg --------: Fitness monitor

bobnova -------:Digital tachometer, speedometer, and intelligent shift light.

Automate ------:Single-Point Sensing of Whole-Home Water Activity

pjkim ------------: Speed Controller

rampadc, your entry was been withdrawn as per your request. 5 will be selected, 5 get goodies. 1 goes to TI's blog. I'm sure the other's will get special mentions.

:

Wow. That's quite a complicated peripheral - or at least it seems so from the datasheet.

I've got a project that includes flow monitoring but it seems a little bit too simple to need ESI. I might write it up anyway. We just enter the idea in this thread now and write up in the projects section later, is that right?

spirilis likes this

Wow. That's quite a complicated peripheral - or at least it seems so from the datasheet.

I've got a project that includes flow monitoring but it seems a little bit too simple to need ESI. I might write it up anyway. We just enter the idea in this thread now and write up in the projects section later, is that right?

Yes..

If are one of the winners.. you get the board and FET and log it in the Projects section.

My landlord keeps calling me asking why the water usage has increased dramatically- I get that call every 3-4 months. He sets the sprinklers to run at 4 am, but the neighbors somehow have theirs running at 7 pm every day. Thing is, the water supply enters the duplex on my side and splits off from there, so maybe something like this would allow the landlord to discern which of us tenants are using the most water.

One flow meter where the water enters the duplex, and another after where it branches to the adjoined dwelling would allow him to figure out who is using the most water.

Total water minus the neighbor's water equals my water use.

I wonder if you could coax this into detecting a certain sequence on a resistive touchscreen, e.g. for a combination lock or a simple game of Simon.

PS: I guess that's my entry :)

Mine project would be to monitor coolant flow and temperature for my laser cutter. The quickest way to destroy a laser is to run it without the coolant flowing and overheat the tube. Unfortunately the cheap Chinese 40W CO2 lasers you get on eBay have and entirely separate water pump that you have to remember to switch on manually. Forgetting to switch it on (or if it gets blocked / too hot) and your tube is quickly fried. I know this is well within the capabilities of a simpler MSP430 just counting pulses from a hall effect sensor, but the ESI sounds perfect for the job and would leave the rest of the FR6989 to get on with more interesting stuff - pulsed laser firing or working as a DSP to control the laser (for engraving, etc.).

[Edited for a bit more detail]

The ESI would be used for it's primary purpose - "to automatically measure linear or rotational motion with the lowest possible power consumption" - paired up with a simple hall effect liquid flow sensor. It will hardly be stretching the peripheral to it's limit but should cover its basic use. As far as low power goes, it'll be on a mains powered laser so not exactly essential. I'll be monitoring the temperature of the coolant entering and leaving the laser tube. The laser will be disabled if the flow is too low, the exit temperature is too high or the difference between the entry and exit temperatures is too high.

It'll have an LCD screen to display the temperature and flow. However I've got a cheap SPI one, so I doubt there will be any reason to use the inbuilt LDC_C controller.

Phase 2 may involve measuring the speed of the two axes from either an encoder (better) or the pulses to the steppers (easier). If you know the speed of movement of the laser head then that allows better control of the laser power. Without this you tend to get a dot at the start of the cut as the laser powers on but isn't moving yet.

abecedarian and bluehash like this

Now, I wonder if it'd be possible to harvest enough energy from the water supply to power the system?

Here is my idea. It's a bit different.

A better fitness monitor, Built into a shoe. The ESI would be used to drive and measure pressure sensor(s) to detect walking/running/standing.

This application would also benefit from the MSP's ultralow power. The entire system could potentially be powered from kinetic energy harvesting.

bluehash likes this

Might have to withdraw- property owner won't permit me to modify things this way, despite the obvious benefits he could have. Maybe I'll change it to something more apropos, that reflects my nephew wasting water by having flow meters on the shower head upstairs (which my wife and I use) and downstairs (which he uses).

Or possibly change to a fuel economy thing where I can put two flow meters and a driveshaft speed sensor on my wife's truck and gather fuel usage and driving habits to help her learn how to save fuel?

These can probably be done cheaper using other microcontrollers but how about:

1. Absolute positioning servomotors with hobby brushless motors 

2. Another smart thermostat, the controller unit that came with my house's heater is doesn't handle temperatures in different rooms very well. The right side of the house is always hotter than the left side.

abecedarian likes this

These can probably be done cheaper using other microcontrollers but how about:

1. Absolute positioning servomotors with hobby brushless motors 

2. Another smart thermostat, the controller unit that came with my house's heater is doesn't handle temperatures in different rooms very well. The right side of the house is always hotter than the left side.

#2 was a thought I'd had- having the registers open or close to maintain more balanced temperatures throughout the house.

*edit to add: maybe a small DC motor placed in the air-stream could act like a generator to provide power to the device controlling the register?

Okay, so this is going to be my entry:

An improved central heating controller/interface for my home. The current controller measures the temperature in kitchen and use it to govern the temperature for the rest of the house. It sets the fan speed and temperature based on user input for each day. The current controller is hooked up to the mains and has a RJ-45 connector. What I would like to do is for the 430 to collect temperature data from each room then control fan speed and temperature, I probably will also put in some sort of heat flow diversion mechanism into the tubes so it can control the temperatures a bit better. 

If it's possible, maybe develop apps for phones to switch the heating on/off and input temperatures and fan speed manually. 

bluehash likes this

I wonder if the low participation so far is due to the complexity of the peripheral. The single page overview in SLAU367 doesn't tell you much about what's really going on. One has to read another 26 pages to figure that out.

@@bluehash should give away one of the prices to the person that comes up with the best layman description of the ESI peripheral :smile:

I'm trying to find time to put together a proposal. There are a couple (hell, a few) different things I can think of to make with it.

Need to sit down with the datasheet for an hour or five and figure out exactly what it does, and why it'd be easier to use it than an interrupt and a timer.

I wonder if the low participation so far is due to the complexity of the peripheral. The single page overview in SLAU367 doesn't tell you much about what's really going on. One has to read another 26 pages to figure that out.

@@bluehash should give away one of the prices to the person that comes up with the best layman description of the ESI peripheral :smile:

I must admit that this peripheral looks like a jack-of-all-trades kind. It's like an ADC, DMA, Comparator, Timer, and Processor all rolled into one.

From what I gather, what makes this peripheral extra special is its configurable state machine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this peripheral seems to act "generally" in this way:

1) Takes an ADC sample.

2) Stores it in dedicated RAM.

3) Configured state machine processes that data and stores results. Sets up for the next measurement.

4) State machine may or may not check/change its timer running in capture mode depending on the measurements being taken.

5) May generate Interrupt.

6) Repeat

A lot of this can be easily replicated in software by lots of microcontrollers, but the advantage of this peripheral is that all of the sampling and processing takes place in the background without processor intervention and allows the processor to sleep longer and save more power.

So, the ultimate benefit of this peripheral is to save power in applications that requires the processor to supervise the measurement-taking process. This is especially important in battery applications that require constant measurement taking.

I can see why some of the applications would be flow metering and fitness tracking (they both require lots of measurements).

My submission for this contest would be battery-powered auto-balancing applications. Auto-balancing requires constant sampling of motion sensors and sometimes combines optical data to aid in balancing by detecting the distance of a sensor relative to the ground. If the auto-balancing device moves, a quadrature encoder's velocity data would supplement the acceleration data of an accelerometer and angular velocity of a gyroscope. 

chicken, tripwire and freshfeesh like this

My submission for this contest would be battery-powered auto-balancing applications. Auto-balancing requires constant sampling of motion sensors and sometimes combines optical data to aid in balancing by detecting the distance of a sensor relative to the ground. If the auto-balancing device moves, a quadrature encoder's velocity data would supplement the acceleration data of an accelerometer and angular velocity of a gyroscope. 

If you can use the ESI to read from an accelerometer and gyro, and help to implement the Kalman filter to combine them and a PID controller to make use them then I'll be very impressed. That would be really useful for self balancers, quadcopters, etc.