bluehash

Job offers on 43oh

42 posts in this topic

Suggested donations seem like the easiest way to get some benefit from jobs on 43oh, especially if there aren't many anyway.

However, we should all consider what we get out of this site whether it's as obvious as some paid work or not. Have a think about how you personally have benefited. How does the help you've got here for free compare to (for instance) a copy of MSP430 Microcontroller Basics? And then there the contests, giveaways, etc.

There's a donate button. It may not get pushed at you, but maybe we should all think about giving it a click. Actually - I know there was a donate button.. but right now I can't find it. Where's it gone?  :wacko: 

I am a developer for hire. I always have been. I like it a lot. The lifestyle is both challenging and rewarding. I have gotten comfortable with being uncomfortable as an entrepreneur.

It looks like we all would like to earn a living so, to push this topic forward, I will propose this: when you want to advertise yourself as a developer for hire on 43oh.com then give 43oh.com a fair donation for the privilege of advertising your services here.

The advertising could be in the form of:

1. An icon underneath your avatar or, 
  2. Your name listed on a special developer's for hire page or,
  3. The permission to put advertising in your signature.
  4. All of the above.

I propose the donation to be 4.3% of the gross value (before deductions) of the contract. For example:

• You make USD $100 then donate $4.30.
  • You make USD $430 then donate $18.49.
  • You make USD $1000 then donate $43.00.

Or, the donation could be hard goods of equivalent value as the above donation scenario. You could do any of the following:

1. Design a product, blog about it completely on 43oh.com, give a free license to @@bluehash to reproduce it, put in his store and let him have 100% of the profits.
  2. You build your awesome widget, donate a batch of your assembled products (say QTY 10) to 43oh.com, Let BH sell them in the store and let him have 100% of the profits.
  3. Donate some of your unused LaunchPads or MSP430 IC samples or other awesome dev tools to 43oh.com and then BH can put on more giveaway contests.
  4. Donate parts to the building of an unassembled product already in the 43oh.com store.
  5. Donate assembly time to the building of an unassembled product already in the 43oh.com store.

If you want to mix and match the above levels of advertising then combine some of the above options to compose a fair compensation to @@bluehash.

This website is my digital home for all things MSP430. I want to continue contributing to its health and well being. While I cannot be here every hour of every day, there is someone who pretty much is. I choose to support him (them) so that this place continues to grow for the better. 

This website gives me a place to help and be helped in my personal projects and it also lets me demonstrate that I am a professional developer. 

I am willing to do what is fair for the privilege of attracting work from people who come here looking for a contractual developer. 

What do you guys (gals) think is fair for this privilege?

By the way, if this website had company shares then I would buy as many as I were allowed to buy.

I think the site should pay us for being contributing users.

The numbers are so large on here because of the fact that content is blocked unless you register and log in. This inflates the user count and also deters people from doing casual browing.  The actual active number of users is small compared to the total number of registered users.  This site really has about 200 active users.  The content on here was put here by those 200 people.

This site gets its ad revenue based on the number of users, not the number of active users.   When I first joined this site it was done in phpbb and didn't have any ads.  I don't like this new ipboards forum software. We went through a long period where posts got mangled or displayed strange characters or double posted or just acted strangely.

I don't think any of us should be paying for anything.

I think the site should pay us for being contributing users.

Yeah, I don't think that is going to fly. @@bluehash should just sell the board off to TI at that moment.

Besides, I do not imagine the ad revenue is significant at this moment in time. I bet B# is out of pocket on operating expenses and software licences most of the time.

I think you have to give away somethings for free (ie: how to make a blinking light or how to get this peripheral working) and I think that you have to monetize the more complex things (how to design, layout and program an WS2811 based, 1920x1080p wide screen display).

If I advertise my services here then I expect to pay something for that.

If I do not advertise my services here then I expect to pay nothing.

If someone reads this board, finds me then hires me solely based upon my reputation here then I do not expect to pay any advertising fee here.

If someone reads an ad I put on this board then hires me then I have already paid my dues based upon the fee I paid to advertise.

I believe the central issue in this thread is this: who pays when someone posts a non targeted Wanted classified ad and then I get hired.

Who has to pay for the advertising? Me, the poster of the Wanted ad or the owner of this website?

It's all about the advertising.

I think the point most people are missing is this: the number of msp430 jobs out there is pretty limited. If we see 10 postings in a year I would be surprised.

If you look at dice.com, there have been only 4 postings in the last month that mention msp430. Of those only one was really an msp430 job. The rest were looking for general mcu experience and happened to mention the msp430

http://www.dice.com/job/results?caller=basic&q=msp430&x=all&p=

-rick

For fun, I just did a search on indeed.com for msp430 jobs. Anyone need a job in Dallas?

Ok.. Just to let everyone know I read this thread everyday.

Paying members is totally out of the question. It is just not possible financially. I mean seriously. There maybe an argument that I can siphon money from the Store. Yes I can, but is is enough for maintenance work and to add new features and in emergencies. I have a little saved up right now, which will go into improvement.

The way it is now, I have hit a good balance between  income from the store, maintenance( shipping/Label service, credit card fees, materials, licenses(3), renewal licenses, hosting fees, sponsorships, gas )... and a big one - Time, which I don't get compensated for, but it comes with a big perk - satisfaction.

Also ad revenue from google is negligible. To put it in perspective, it is less than $20 a month. Most users run Adblock.

If you notice, most of our advertisers give away stuff, instead of cash. They have a choice.

And sorry that you hate iPboard. It still seems a good step from phpbb... yes,posts got mangled, but that was the price to pay and people figure and help out in such cases.

Note that setting up this infrastructure will take time. There is a "classifieds" plugin which will support this, but it has to be heavily modified and I hate installing anything on the forum that is not vanilla.

@@JonnyBoats, a member time barrier is a nice example for developer entry. @@zeke, nice points. I am adding them to my list of probabilities. Thanks all.

Edited by bluehash
Edit: Added adsense line.
GeekDoc likes this

The actual active number of users is small compared to the total number of registered users. This site really has about 200 active users. The content on here was put here by those 200 people.

How to give more visibility to active users?

Badges seem to be a nice idea but they are under-used

My thoughts would be this:

- moderated forum not entirely unlike what advertisers may have to go through.

- forum is free to read but some 'donation' required to post or reply

Beyond the above, I'm not sure how you could verify / validate job offers and limit things to verifiable companies and applicants.

Maybe permit users to upload resume' and such could be an option... maybe cater to the job seekers instead of the employers?

I think that it is great that people are using the forum to solicit job offers but I 200% agree that the hiring party should pay for agree that there should be a fee for the privilege to hire on the site. A recruiter gets 30% of the first year salary. I don't know how much LinkedIn, Indeed or Monster get but I'm sure that it is a few hundred.

In London UK, recruiters get 18% or thereabouts - they ASK for 30%, but you'd have to be a pretty naive company to actually pay that - I've been recruiting staff for my teams for 30 years - we never pay more than 20%.

My thoughts would be this:

- moderated forum not entirely unlike what advertisers may have to go through.

- forum is free to read but some 'donation' required to post or reply

Beyond the above, I'm not sure how you could verify / validate job offers and limit things to verifiable companies and applicants.

Maybe permit users to upload resume' and such could be an option... maybe cater to the job seekers instead of the employers?

If this forum would be a paid service, I'm out of here. 43oh is a community, not a networking service.

Your last suggestion is mainly off topic. The whole reason this thread got started is because people are already actively offering jobs. Would job offerings be treated differently from regular forum posts, then there would be a benefit in also being able to offer expertise as a service.

I do understand that posts with a professional gain tempt to require profit from that gain for 43oh, but how many posts are not related to problems people experience on the job? Should they pay for solutions too? How will you distinguish those professionally benefiting posts from amateur benefiting posts?

I think the only reasonable solution - without breaking apart this community - is to ask advertisers to donate is a thank you for the opportunity to reach experts in the 430 field. If not, then let it be a separate section of 43oh (like the shop or blog is separate from the forum). Thereby avoiding professional chatter on the forum.

I visit this Dutch tech news site, they sport a large newsroll, an extensive forum, a blogging section, a review section and a trade section. Their trade section allows for both selling or requesting second hand goods as well as job offerings.

In addition to the trade section, employers can also buy advertising space in the side bar.

The numbers are so large on here because of the fact that content is blocked unless you register and log in. This inflates the user count and also deters people from doing casual browing.  The actual active number of users is small compared to the total number of registered users.  This site really has about 200 active users.

I took the liberty of browsing the user list. I may have miscounted a bit, but these are the numbers I came up with:

Posts Users
1000+     6
999-100  65
99-20   172
19-10   199
9-6     241
5       105
4       170
3       216
2       397
1       822
0     34896

So counting all users with

• 20+ posts gives us 243 active users (0.65%)
  • 10+ posts gives us 442 active users (1.2%)
  • any posts gives us 2393 active users (6.4%)

Which leaves us with 93.6% of users that have registered but have never ever posted a single message.

zeke likes this

If this forum would be a paid service, I'm out of here. 43oh is a community, not a networking service.

I agree completely. But I think the thought was that there would be a sub-forum of 43oh for the people looking to subcontract development, not turning 43oh into a subscription service. So I suggested that sub-forum could be moderated so that only people who paid to post in it could, but at the same time it would be free for anyone to browse through. Think like the help-wanted section of many newspapers, or those big-name job-search websites, where anyone can look but only paid advertisements are accepted for publication.

Your last suggestion is mainly off topic. The whole reason this thread got started is because people are already actively offering jobs. Would job offerings be treated differently from regular forum posts, then there would be a benefit in also being able to offer expertise as a service.

Well, the last suggestion was about allowing users to post resume's. It could be an attachment uploaded to your profile, and maybe an icon under the avatar to let people know you might be looking for side-jobs or employment. And I admit maybe it was slightly off topic, but not entirely, since resume's are about getting work.

I do understand that posts with a professional gain tempt to require profit from that gain for 43oh, but how many posts are not related to problems people experience on the job? Should they pay for solutions too? How will you distinguish those professionally benefiting posts from amateur benefiting posts?

I think the only reasonable solution - without breaking apart this community - is to ask advertisers to donate is a thank you for the opportunity to reach experts in the 430 field. If not, then let it be a separate section of 43oh (like the shop or blog is separate from the forum). Thereby avoiding professional chatter on the forum.

I visit this Dutch tech news site, they sport a large newsroll, an extensive forum, a blogging section, a review section and a trade section. Their trade section allows for both selling or requesting second hand goods as well as job offerings.

In addition to the trade section, employers can also buy advertising space in the side bar.

Fair points. And around here there's a mail-out called "The Pennysaver" that is free to post any personal-type ad for items as you mention- second-hand/used goods, goods wanted, et cetera, and it is paid for by the advertisers who for the most part can't afford radio or TV spots.

But there's always a way to circumvent the system.

Sorry if I pushed the wrong button; no offense intended.

roadrunner84 likes this

Sorry if I pushed the wrong button; no offense intended.

And I am sorry for outing myself a bit harsh, I did not mean to be rude. My apologies.

abecedarian likes this

I took the liberty of browsing the user list. I may have miscounted a bit, but these are the numbers I came up with:

Posts Users
1000+     6
999-100  65
99-20   172
19-10   199
9-6     241
5       105
4       170
3       216
2       397
1       822
0     34896

So counting all users with

• 20+ posts gives us 243 active users (0.65%)
  • 10+ posts gives us 442 active users (1.2%)
  • any posts gives us 2393 active users (6.4%)

Which leaves us with 93.6% of users that have registered but have never ever posted a single message.

That is very interesting to know. Thank you for showing that to us.

Now, I am wondering, what does this look like: the ratio of Reputation Points per Post Count?

That might reveal a much more positive spin on the site statistics.

43oh is a highly talented & technical community. Members being rewarded with work for their own display of competency & knowledge certainly shouldn't be prevented or discouraged. Provided that the job section is actually popular and produces good work, this would produce more traffic to the site which would support 43oh. Crippling job offers behind a pay barrier would certainly discourage posting since people hate paying for anything non-physical online even if its as small as 0.01 USD because of risk involved. This would potentially remove opportunities from well deserving members. With that said, I don't have any time currently to be doing jobs or to be as active of a forum member as i'd like to be so I doubt my advice is worth 2 cents ;)