greeeg

Custom EzFet Lite

63 posts in this topic

At least the latest revision of the g launchpad can.

I should have been clearer, I have an MSP-430EXPG2 rev 1.3. I use it a while ago to program an MSP430F5510 wich I think is newer than the F5528, so I think it should work.

Dear Greeeg.

Let me allow to say a big "Hey Good Work Man" :) .
Im also planning to build my own eZ-FET Lite, but i have many things what is not clear. The First is that , What is the exact size of the firmware. Is it possible to make it smaller??
I just would like to use it as a programmer, not needed the debugging functions. 

Im also planning to build my own eZ-FET Lite, but i have many things what is not clear. The First is that , What is the exact size of the firmware. Is it possible to make it smaller??

I just would like to use it as a programmer, not needed the debugging functions. 

If you want to have exact copy of eZ-FET Lite, than original MSP430F5528/5529 must be used. MSP430F5528 and MSP430F5529 are the same devices, except footprint. Maybe compatible part (from MSP430F552x family) with smaller flash size will work.

Flashing part (without debugging) probably can fit to MSP430F5510, but in this case code customization is needed, and question is how this part with changed original firmware will be recognized by TI / IAR or any other MSP430 development platform.

If you want to have exact copy of eZ-FET Lite, than original MSP430F5528/5529 must be used. MSP430F5528 and MSP430F5529 are the same devices, except footprint. Maybe compatible part (from MSP430F552x family) with smaller flash size will work.

Flashing part (without debugging) probably can fit to MSP430F5510, but in this case code customization is needed, and question is how this part with changed original firmware will be recognized by TI / IAR or any other MSP430 development platform.

Yes, you are right, it would be better an open source Firmware from TI. So the short answer is: built the exact copy or do nothing :)

what do you think , the 1:1 copy can supply the target board with enough power ? 

Yes, you are right, it would be better an open source Firmware from TI. So the short answer is: built the exact copy or do nothing :)

what do you think , the 1:1 copy can supply the target board with enough power ? 

Hardware, including supply, can be done by yourself on any way you want. Changing (shrinking down) original software is not one-day job, and finial result is unknown. I am already working on my own flasher so don't have any interest in customizing eZ-FET Lite software.

There is an open source firmware from TI, provided with the MSP Debug stack. http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/MSP_Debug_Stack

Not exactly simple, though.

Hello,

I am new to this and I have recently built one of these EzFET Lite boards but am having problems when going to program using code composer. Board will program a MSP430G2553 when using IAR embedded workbench but will not program at all with code composer or in linux. It come up with an error that it could not set device VCC. Attached is a print screen of the error and the schematic. Have you any suggestions. What software package do you recommend to upload firmware to the programmer and what firmware should be uploaded. This should tell me if i am uploading the firmware correctly.

Thanks

Shane

ezFet.pdf

post-34674-0-09752200-1424423546_thumb.png

Hello, 

Does anyone have any suggestions for my problem. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Shane

...built one of these EzFET Lite boards but am having problems when going to program using code composer. Board will program a MSP430G2553 when using IAR embedded workbench but will not program at all with code composer or in linux. It come up with an error that it could not set device VCC....

Hi Shane, From this description, It appreas as though you have not properly flashed the custom BSL portion of the ezFET firmaware. Note that the BSL requires the programmer to send a specific unlock code, since the BSL does typically not need to be changed. I had trouble getting mspdebug to perform this task, however the cross platform MSPFlasher worked flawlessly.

Finally made it. I end up using an adapter board for the MSP430.

dsc00857.jpg?w=640&h=480

more pics...

NICE WORK!

I see you also stumbled on the reprogramming of the BSL. Glad you worked it all out in the end.

You could add some stand-offs to the corners of your board so you don't damage your point to point work.

NICE WORK!

I see you also stumbled on the reprogramming of the BSL. Glad you worked it all out in the end.

You could add some stand-offs to the corners of your board so you don't damage your point to point work.

That's a good idea! Either that or some sort of box.