• Announcements

• bluehash

Forum Upgrade   03/11/2017

Hello Everyone, Thanks for being patient while the forums were being fixed and upgraded. Please see details and report issues in this thread. Thanks!
Roger

Serial Monitor/Serial.print() issue

19 posts in this topic

Hello I am new to Energia but I have done a little in Arduino. I can not get the serail monitor to display anything. My sketch uploads and runs.(I know it is runing because part of code blinks the LED's) but nothing prints to the serail monitor. I am using 0101e0011 with a 430 launch pad with 2553 on a windows 8 box.( I hope I am posting this in the right place)

void setup()
{
  // put your setup code here, to run once:
  Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(P1_6,OUTPUT);//green
  pinMode(P1_0,OUTPUT);//red
}

void loop()
{
  digitalWrite(P1_6,HIGH);
  digitalWrite(P1_0,LOW);
  Serial.print("Start Loop");
  delay(1000);
  digitalWrite(P1_6,LOW);
  digitalWrite(P1_0,HIGH);
  Serial.print("End of Loop");
  delay(1000);

}

If you have not already done so then you will have to adjust the jumpers on J3. Depending on which version you will have to cross connect RX/TX (v1.4) or place them horizontal (v1.5). For v1.5 the PCB has instructions for how to place the jumpers for hardware vs software UART.

See detailed pictures on the following page: http://energia.nu/Guide_MSP430LaunchPad.html

Make sure that you are referencing the pictures for v1.4 or v1.5 with MSP430G2553.

manhdan and Roger like this

I've placed the jumpers horizontal already but I cannot see anything in the serial monitor windows. please help!!!!!!

I'm using lauchpad v1.5 with msp430g2553 and this is my code

void setup()

{

Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop()

{

Serial.println("abc");

delay(100);

}

I've placed the jumpers horizontal already but I cannot see anything in the serial monitor windows. please help!!!!!!

I'm using lauchpad v1.5 with msp430g2553 and this is my code

void setup()

{

Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop()

{

Serial.println("abc");

delay(100);

}

You may want to add the code that blinks the leds along with your serial print that way you know you program is running.

jetaudio likes this

You may want to add the code that blinks the leds along with your serial print that way you know you program is running.

thank you Roger. I finally realize that my laptop has only usb 3.0 ports, and the launchpad doesn't support usb 3.0 :'(

thank you Roger. I finally realize that my laptop has only usb 3.0 ports, and the launchpad doesn't support usb 3.0 :'(

@@jetaudio - More accurately, the laptop does not properly support backwards compatibility, which USB3.0 should handle. ;)

Maybe there's a setting in the BIOS to allow something?

jetaudio likes this

I'm having a similar problem. I have to load a couple of sketches before things work. The string examples usually get things working. Do you have any other programs installed like CCS? I'm wondering if it's a driver issue or something. I have never had the problem before - just recently.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

@jetaudio - More accurately, the laptop does not properly support backwards compatibility, which USB3.0 should handle. ;)

Maybe there's a setting in the BIOS to allow something?

I'm having a similar problem. I have to load a couple of sketches before things work. The string examples usually get things working. Do you have any other programs installed like CCS? I'm wondering if it's a driver issue or something. I have never had the problem before - just recently.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I've installed CCS on my laptop as well as energia. maybe it's a driver issue. I'll remove every ti driver to see if it can work. And a look at bios is doing no harm I guess :)

Same problem for me. Launchpad is EXP430F5529LP, version 1.5. Tried jumpers horizontal, vertical and cross for Rx/Tx. None of that worked. USB 2.0 on laptop, Dell D410 running Ubuntu 14.04LTS.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Same problem for me. Launchpad is EXP430F5529LP, version 1.5. Tried jumpers horizontal, vertical and cross for Rx/Tx. None of that worked. USB 2.0 on laptop, Dell D410 running Ubuntu 14.04LTS.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Figure it out. I was printing ASCII value 2, which is not visible! Vertical jumper setting works for this board.

Hello ,  I Uploaded a simple program to my MSP430 g 2553 launchpad : 

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(RED_LED, OUTPUT);

}

void loop()
{
  Serial.print("HELLOOOOOOO...");
  pinMode(RED_LED, HIGH);
  delay(500);
  Serial.println("Godbye....");
  pinMode(RED_LED, LOW);
  delay(1000);  
}

Running energia on a HP Compaq Presario cq56 ,  

Led blinks , serial monitor doesn't show anything

serial port is /dev/ttyACM0

I've selected the right model  from the tools menu , and at serial ports i have only one option the one written above. Can someone help me it's kind of urgent.

Hello ,  I Uploaded a simple program to my MSP430 g 2553 launchpad : 

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop()
{
  Serial.print("HELLOOOOOOO...");
  pinMode(RED_LED, HIGH);
  delay(500);
  Serial.println("Godbye....");
  pinMode(RED_LED, LOW);
  delay(1000);  
}

Running energia on a HP Compaq Presario cq56 ,  

Led blinks , serial monitor doesn't show anything

serial port is /dev/ttyACM0

I've selected the right model  from the tools menu , and at serial ports i have only one option the one written above. Can someone help me it's kind of urgent.

Linux is a pain with those old G2 launchpads.  Add a delay in your sketch or possibly have it wait for the P1_3 pushbutton to be pressed before it tries sending any serial output - and in the intervening time, open your serial monitor right away.

For now the launchpad (or really the Linux USB driver I think) is in a "messed up" state.  So write your new sketch with a delay or checking-P1_3-loop, upload it to the board, then disconnect the LaunchPad, give it a few seconds and reconnect before trying the serial monitor again.

Of course make sure the UART jumpers are in the "Hardware" position too.

Example setup() function for you that watches P1_3 endlessly before proceeding:

void setup()

{

Serial.begin(9600);

// spirilis addition starts here

pinMode(P1_3, INPUT_PULLUP);

delay(50);

while (digitalRead(P1_3) == HIGH) delay(50);

}

ok , this is >fantastik< , but why ?  (i hope im not beeing an AHolle, asking this)

Not 100% sure.  Something about the Linux cdc_acm driver having a bug or not working right with "composite" USB devices.

Hello,

new guy here. I can't get it to write aswell :/

Just trying something super basic for the first attempt:

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
}
void loop()
{
  Serial.print("Hello World");
}

COM is detected by both windows and Energia, it compiles without errors and the baud rate is set in the serial Monitor, tried to change the pins on J3 ( horizontal and vertical positions) and PuTTY incase the inbuilt Energia monitor was the problem. NOTHING. can't get it to do it. I got some basic led flashing in another code running, so the chip isn't dead and i also tried it on two computers with both usb3 and usb2 sockets.  the USB cable that i use is 1.8m long but i refuse to believe that it could be the cause.

I have a strange problem with my MSP430G2553 Serial Monitor. It is rev. 1.5 so I did change the UART pins to vertical, but whatever I want to post to serial monitor I get some random symbols (like it would do when the baudrate is wrong). How do I know that everything with baudrate and COM is right? I have two MSP430G2553 and the other one works with no problems at all. Maybe I need to reset something or whatever? I have no idea what to do other than change the MSP430 for another one. Thanks.

Edit: I just changed the MSP to another one which worked.

I asked my professor about this and he said it is due to some frequencies in the controller itself. Had no time to go in depth with solving the problem with the controller.