chicken

Mailbag

158 posts in this topic

Got a parcel from US of A! My order from 43oh store had arrived. It was shipped 13.6, so very fast! Only five day's (including the weekend) to other side of the world!(Finland)

One MSP430G2955 Breakout Board V2 PCB and one Color LCD Booster pack PCB v1.2. Big thanks to @@RobG for making these awesome boards and to @@bluehash for making them available also to us who live in periphery. :rolleyes:

The LP actually arrived last Friday, as I was in the middle of cursing my media server for cunning out in the middle of interesting football match. The relay boards also arrived last week from china. I have been too busy watching world class football, to take pictures and post them here.

No time to put these baby's in action either, because it is start of midsummer festival (juhannus) in here. So everybody is too busy to get drunk, drive to their summer cottage and drown. Usually in that particular order. :biggrin:  Funniest thing is that it was snowing in here yesterday. Have to love the summer weather in Finland. I hope it is better for you all, where ever you might be. Happy summer to everybody!

post-17164-0-05224600-1403088679_thumb.jpg

bluehash, spirilis and RobG like this

My F550x break out boards arrived today from DirtyPCBs. For this run, I tried out panelized PCBs with 2 designs. DirtyPCBs completely removed the right handed one and gave me 20 boards of only the left design :(

Gerber:

post-32777-0-24696000-1403143817_thumb.png

The boards:

post-32777-0-66347800-1403143916_thumb.jpg

My CC3200 LaunchPad just arrived. A bit of an impulse buy, but I think it would make the perfect host for a yet-to-be-designed dAISy booster pack.

post-9974-0-31411900-1403150585_thumb.jpg

post-9974-0-81349200-1403150603_thumb.jpg

Oshpark sent some new PCBs...

This time some revisions of the board designs I did/do together with @@reaper7

post-31435-0-10208500-1404115320_thumb.jpg

Left: MSP430G2553 QFN

Middle: MSP430G2955 TSSOP38

Right: MSP430G2955 QFN

Thanks to the help of @@spirilis I got the 2955s working in Energia (see HERE).

As you might noticed, the solder pads of the QFN footprints are longer than normal ... I did this hoping that it would ease hand soldering these ICs. I soldered the 2955QFN and 2553QFN with a normal hand soldering iron + a lot of flux + solder wick. Worked pretty well ... will do some hot air soldering later to have a comparison.

Unfortunately this boards have a minor design flaw ... R3 and R4 were planned as pullups for the I2C EEPROM, but I messed up the routing for these - now they act just as solder bridges. But the next revisions are already in the pipeline :biggrin: This time: G2955 + MTK3339 (PA6C and PA6H) on the bottom + fixed EEPROM/I2C-pullups.

reaper7 and bluehash like this

Got some PCBs, 5cmx5cm, from elecrow. Asked for a v-score between two identical boards and they did it!

post-274-0-41203300-1404271305_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately because I didn't think they actually would (I'd read they need boards larger than 8cmx8cm to fit in the machine) I left plenty of room so I could cut the boards myself.

post-274-0-78474200-1404271327_thumb.jpg

They need manual sanding/filing to remove this part.

bluehash likes this

Got some parts from mouser today and just wanted to show the really beautiful 128x128 1.28" Sharp LCD (LS013B7DH03) ... I really like this one because it is so much better to read compared to the version on the BoosterPack.

The LPs are running with @@chicken 's Energia Library for the Sharp LCDs.

post-31435-0-90050600-1405604017_thumb.jpg

greeeg, reaper7, bluehash and 1 other like this

Yes, the 96x96 "mirror" version which came as part of the Launchpad bundle. The right one is really hard to read most of the time, as some others here also mentioned before.

w00t!  50W solar panel from a vendor on AliExpress ($77 shipped Fedex IE)

post-15991-0-74762800-1410875453_thumb.jpg

I intend to use it to charge a battery to power the night lamp outside my house (HOA requires it, and it hasn't been working for a few months thanks to the AC line getting destroyed from some construction), but also in the process to gain familiarity with solar charging, MPPT, DC/DC conversion in general.

Not sure if this fits in the mailbag .. but it feels like something I would get in the mail from ebay.com.

Dollar Tree has some 12v USB Car Chargers for $1. Inside the device is an MC34063A a DC-DC step-down step-up IC. Seems like you could change the resistors and re-purpose it to output 3.3v Just a local drive for most of us living in the US.

Crappy obligatory picture:

post-190-0-07479000-1411081807_thumb.jpg

Dollar Tree link:

http://www.dollartree.com/household/electronics/USB-Car-Charger-Adapters/500c548c548p331323/index.pro

-rick

@@Rickta59 That's a nice deal. I have taken apart so many car chargers, you wonder how much it costs to make them :S

I just received the final components for a wireless sensor node project. Now I just have to finish my board layouts.

post-274-0-60562000-1411094451_thumb.jpg

Idea, create small solar powered node, use supercaps in place of batteries. I'm using some of TI's energy harvesters to perform MPPT to squeeze all the juice from these small panels.

My Elecrow PCBs came in today. This is the 2nd version of a HP-25c emulation. The previous version I had 1 CR2032 to power the thing and it turn out not bright enough. I am multiplexing at 1/12 duty cycle (it has 12 digits). So this version I use 2 x CR2032 and a LDO.

This time I also overlay the button labels w/ an image (to print some of the scientific symbols) and they all failed to print. Not sure if it's the problem w/ Fritzing or Elecrow. The whole image (which contains some of the button labels) turn out to be 2 big dots, just below the top left button on the photo.

Not sure if I want to redo the PCBs. Don't want to waste these, may be I will hand write the button labels and use them as is.

post-23-0-00735200-1411096123_thumb.jpg

@@simpleavr As it's black, could you get a reasonable silkscreen using the same toner transfer method that's used for home etching PCBs?

@@Fred that's a good idea for me to try. Even better if there are ways to overlay different colors. The HP calculator's shift functions are Yellow (F) and Blue (G). That would be really nice if can be done.

It should be possible. The question is how the toner will react to the temperature when you're soldering. If I had a laser printer I'd have been tempted to try this myself.

It's a shame that white toner is so expensive and difficult to get as this would be even better for most silkscreen. (There are a couple of expensive lasers that do white but unfortunately it's not common enough for aftermarket stuff to be available.)

@Fred  Saw this and thought of you (referring to post 65 in this thread).

http://hackaday.io/project/2736

Next Gen!  :smile:

I guess with this device you get into trouble if you need an MRI. And I would also guess that it will make significant artifacts in XRays/CT-Scans...

@@dubnet @@yosh I saw that. It looks really interesting but I suspect it'll never actually get implanted. The size and location don't look ideal. However the real issue might be the silicone coating. The guy who fitted my implant was telling me about some issues with silicone coated neodymium magnets. Apparently with a bit of pressure the contents of the implant can rupture the silicone and it starts getting very nasty. What the guy should do is ensure that it will be possible to implant before going off designing something that'll never be used. I bet he won't though.

My much smaller xNT tag is apparently fine even in an MRI. I did have a minor operation recently which required a general anaesthetic and I was asked if I had any metalwork, etc. implanted. I got some odd looks when I told them about this, but obviously it wasn't a problem.

OppaErich and bluehash like this

@@Fred Yep, your implant is tiny compared to the device shown in that post. 5x2 cm is way to large for an implant which should be placed right under the skin. If you have ever seen e.g. cardioverter-defibrillators you know what I mean. I wouldn't want to have an implant that large in my arm (since you move your arm all the time).