chicken

Mailbag

158 posts in this topic

In the spirit of the "What are you working on" thread, I ask: What did your postman bring today?

Please show us your recent additions to the hoard.

Myself, I got packages from Mouser and Digi-Key each:

post-9974-0-44062500-1393037291_thumb.jpg

This are parts for the standalone, USB-enabled version of dAISy (based on the MSP430F5508) as well as FPC connectors for the SHARP Memory LCD booster pack.

In both cases, it doesn't look like the PCBs will arrive in time for some weekend soldering :sad:

bluehash likes this

I'm at work, so I don't have pictures - but my most recent shipments were a Noritake VFD sample (graphic I believe) and a bunch of JTAG headers for a gang programmer target board.  I'm expecting some good stuff - my parts for the WS2811B clock should be arriving today!

Today, I received an order from RobG's Tindie Store; the Ethernet Booster Pack. Thanks @@RobG

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif resized.jpg

Working on a (somewhat fat) library for those puppies with DHCP code begun just yesterday :)

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk 4

gwdeveloper likes this

Got my Wolverine samples and launchpad :D

Were shipped 3 days apart, but arrived on the same day :P

post-274-0-47028400-1393342933_thumb.jpg

Ironically I ordered the samples the day before the launchpad was released, and I plan on using them with a sharp memory LCD. I guess no one can have a truly unique idea anymore :$

KatiePier and chicken like this

Today's (and yesterday's) loot:

- PanaVise Jr - thanks @@bluehash & PanaVise!

- dAISy USB PCBs and stencil

- Antenna for dAISy USB

post-9974-0-54029900-1393462724_thumb.jpg

I hope to find time soon to solder up a new prototype. Of course now that I finally collected all parts, I will have to leave for a business trip in the middle of the weekend :-(

bluehash likes this

Today's (and yesterday's) loot:

- PanaVise Jr - thanks @@bluehash & PanaVise!

- dAISy USB PCBs and stencil

- Antenna for dAISy USB

attachicon.gifIMG_1422.jpg

I hope to find time soon to solder up a new prototype. Of course now that I finally collected all parts, I will have to leave for a business trip in the middle of the weekend :-(

It also looks sort-of like an RF board I've been working-on, at least in dimensions.  I evaluated dozens of variations of planar antennas through OSHPark as well, so Laen must think we are in it together :).

Where did you get the stencil?  How much?

@@chicken, your boards look nice. I saw your pictures of them on the other post. Cool!

No pictures yet but I usually get samples sent to another address and everything from the last 6 months was sent to me last month. I got an XMOS board, an STM32 board, and one of the 128x32 displays from Noritake. I also sampled a beefy STM32F407 chip while I was at it. :)

The "What are you working on" thread is a good idea. I have been playing with some single-cycle 8051s but they are even slower than value line MSP430s, so nothing much to report.

chicken likes this

@@jpnorair the stencil is from OSHStencils.com and it cost $7.10 shipped. The two times I used them, I received the stencil within a week and before the PCBs ordered from OSHPark at the same time.

spirilis likes this

Revision 5 of my ThinkPad T6x keyboard adapter First time ordered from Elecrow. The routing is probably pretty bad, it works so far. I probably need to downsize those vias. post-32777-139373858978_thumb.jpg

bluehash likes this

The postman just bought me a NFC-enabled Samsung Ezon SHS 2320 lock for my workshop. I had to get it eBayed direct from Korea as you can't seem to get them in the UK. Why? Because my implantable NFC tag should be on its way soon. Not directly MSP430-related, but expect to see more NFC projects from me once I'm chipped. My wife wasn't impressed and thinks it's creepy.

I did think about making my own. I'm OK with the NFC bit but a decent motorised lock is hard to come by. Plus, if my wife can't get in because of a by a bug in my code I'd be in trouble!

post-317-0-82604500-1393784511_thumb.jpg

jpnorair and gwdeveloper like this

The postman just bought me a NFC-enabled Samsung Ezon SHS 2320 lock for my workshop. I had to get it eBayed direct from Korea as you can't seem to get them in the UK. Why? Because my implantable NFC tag should be on its way soon. Not directly MSP430-related, but expect to see more NFC projects from me once I'm chipped. My wife wasn't impressed and thinks it's creepy.

I did think about making my own. I'm OK with the NFC bit but a decent motorised lock is hard to come by. Plus, if my wife can't get in because of a by a bug in my code I'd be in trouble!

Lol random comment, someone I know got a magnet implanted, but lost it. I reckon RFID implants aren't too likely to "lose" luckily.

OTOH I am excited to play with the RFID boosterpack I'm getting from the POTM!

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk 4

The postman just bought me a NFC-enabled Samsung Ezon SHS 2320 lock for my workshop. I had to get it eBayed direct from Korea as you can't seem to get them in the UK. Why? Because my implantable NFC tag should be on its way soon. Not directly MSP430-related, but expect to see more NFC projects from me once I'm chipped. My wife wasn't impressed and thinks it's creepy.

! You are going to implant it? Make sure you take pics:)

Question: What if you want to take it out?

jpnorair likes this

! You are going to implant it? Make sure you take pics:)

Question: What if you want to take it out?

I second the "take pics."

As for removing it, all you need is a sharp knife, good tweezers, antiseptic, and some super glue (long story, and nothing to do with RFID).  On this note, I also recommend installing it into a part of your body easily accessible to your dominant hand.  Embedded engineers are accustomed to soldering tiny components.  Surgery is a walk in the park.  :)

PTB, bluehash, greeeg and 1 other like this

I second the "take pics."

As for removing it, all you need is a sharp knife, good tweezers, antiseptic, and some super glue (long story, and nothing to do with RFID).  On this note, I also recommend installing it into a part of your body easily accessible to your dominant hand.  Embedded engineers are accustomed to soldering tiny components.  Surgery is a walk in the park.  :)

@@Fred, If you can, please do an "install" thread in the General Electronics section. For some reason, I'm super-excited. This is like Kevin Warwick awesome.

spirilis likes this

Banner day:

Noritake 114X16 display and Rigol DS2072 'scope. Scope is gonna take some getting used to.

Now, to figure out what to do with the old HP 130C scope. Still works great and checks to spec (actually, better than spec. nominal is 500KHz, but quite acceptable for sub microsecond pulses), but at 50 years old and all tubes, it is getting a little long in the tooth, and space being what space is...

bluehash likes this

Yesterday the mailman brought me a 144x16 VFD, my POTM prize. and today I got home to these left in my mailbox.

post-274-0-22247700-1394033463_thumb.jpg

I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight ;)

t0mpr1c3 likes this

Sorry, no pictures but, 3 each:
SN65HVD232 CAN transceivers;
LM1949 injector drive controller;
TPS56540 DC-DC controller, automotive qualified.

Still back-ordered:
- nano-scale oompa-loompas to solder things for me. :biggrin:

Some LED matrices came today.

Dual colour, 1.9mm LEDs, The 3 rows of pins makes for interesting compact board designs.

Funnily enough the pin layout is much simpler than other matrices I've used. These have 3 rows each lines up bit0-bit7 of the matrix.

post-274-0-48899900-1394527447_thumb.jpg

yosh likes this

Some LED matrices came today.

Dual colour, 1.9mm LEDs, The 3 rows of pins makes for interesting compact board designs.

Funnily enough the pin layout is much simpler than other matrices I've used. These have 3 rows each lines up bit0-bit7 of the matrix.

attachicon.gifIMG_3817.JPG

Hi @@greeeg,

where did you find them?

yosh

Lots of little Neodymium magnets. I am experimenting with soldering the little bastards for making electrical snap connectors.