bluehash

What are you doing right now..?

108 posts in this topic

Saw chicken's dAISy project. Thought it was cool.

Ordered this $10ish RT2832U DVB-T USB stick from dx.com, came in 3 weeks. Install gnu-radio, rtl-sdr, gqrx and dump1090.

Now watching planes over my house.

I am inside and using the stock antenna, can capture at most half a dozen planes.

Will build an elevated outdoor antenna when it's warmer. Should catch tenths of planes.

post-23-0-29553700-1390949828_thumb.png

Ordered this $10ish RT2832U DVB-T USB stick from dx.com, came in 3 weeks. Install gnu-radio, rtl-sdr, gqrx and dump1090.

Links, details?

Links, details?

There were a few posts in HackADay, DP, etc mentioning the use of such DVB-T sticks as SDRs. I was following links to links and understand it can also receive ADS-B, which is similar to the AIS (chicken's dAISy project) but instead of boats, it's for planes, I leant.

Basically you need to get rtl-sdr, which expose these DVB-T sticks w/ the RTL chipset for use as an SDR. dump1090 is a script front-end that make use of rtl-sdr to get the ADS-B 1090Mhz signal and decode it. It also has an option to visualize the data via google earth (served via port 8080).

The gnu-radio, gqrx are for other fun activities like spectrum scanning and such.

There were various info out there but this is by far the most straight forward for plane plotting.

http://oh2fxd.wordpress.com/2013/10/15/building-a-complete-adsb-receiver-unit-from-a-to-z/

This link mentioned the use of a dedicated system-on-usb run the own set-up and has the advantage of (1) 24/7 streaming of flight data, (2) system can be attached at the base of antenna outdoor for best reception.

For myself, I am running it off a ubuntu / mint netbook.

I picked up one of those on Amazon a few weeks back as well. Unfortunately I get crap reception from my apartment window.  Still a lot of fun though.  I'm thinking about picking up a second one to do trunk-tracking

I don't mind minicom, but I need something a bit more special-purpose.  I suspect it will want to have a GUI someday, but since the meat of it is POSIX C, all the GUI needs to be is the GUI.  That is the only way, I've found, to allow a good degree of independence of platform, independence of library version (I'm looking at you, Qt), and independence from having a damn terminal app that is a 36MB application and eats 100MB RAM.

not sure what you try to do there, but I found that it's easy to talk to /dev/tty{S,USB}[0-9] once you ready the port with stty. see this for an example [1].

also you remind me of the best terminal I have ever used: terminate v5. it had ALL the features for ALL your fidonet needs :D

otherwise I find minicom is great. have you tried compiling it statically for slightly better 'platform independence'?

[1] https://github.com/rodan/solar-sensor/blob/master/server/ss_daemon.c

I am trying to design a smallish gps + gprs tracker [1]. as usual because I'm unhappy with the one I bought on the internets.

writing the software for this will take forever tho. also I have no idea how to properly route the RF traces toward the antennas. a lot of reading has to be done ...

[1] https://github.com/rodan/tracy

post-34829-0-90462700-1390973482_thumb.png

writing the software for this will take forever tho. also I have no idea how to properly route the RF traces toward the antennas. a lot of reading has to be done ...

[1] https://github.com/rodan/tracy

If you do these things, the reference design should work as advertised.

1. Do what you can to copy the reference circuit layout, that will simplify things.

1b. Don't put inductors parallel to each other.  Put them in a straight axial line, or perpendicular.  Otherwise you get transformer behavior.

2. Use a 4 layer board.  Just do it.  Ground layer right under RF filtering components.

3. vias connecting ground layers... all over the place, but particularly at edges.  You do not have nearly enough in that image.

How are you connecting to the antenna?  That is another list of considerations.

bluehash, GeekDoc, petertux and 1 other like this

Grading papers and having a beer (or, more accurately, distracting myself from grading papers. Students are doing pretty good, but decoding vector calculus proofs takes a mental toll...)

Oh, in general....

Working on an articulated tail, neck, and head. Too many servos! If I ever get anywhere with it, I will post. Right now, still mocking up test system. I can't wait for next haloween......

tripwire likes this

Still writing firmware for the radio telemetry boards.  I have the UART buffers built and added AT command support to let the MCU command the radio.  Now I just need to formally decide how I want to handle the start up handshaking with the base station.

@enl  When first exposed to calculus I had it pegged as esoteric and questionably relevent. Then again I was a university freshman, what did I know? :laugh:

Testing how random numbers generated with a 555 fed to the Timer 0 clock are for my next project. Also, trying to hack walkie talkies to transmit text for the same project. I'm trying to glue a small bolt to copper clad so I don't have to drill holes but the epoxy that I got is not very strong.

@Druzyek: Have fun with the epoxy. Keys are clean, tooth, and proper mix. Light scuff both parts where attachment to occur, clean -- denatured alcohol is good preclean for most epoxies -- then work proper mix epoxy onto both surfaces with applicator stick before joining to insure good coverage. If mix is off, strength is off. Copper side will regrow oxide very quickly that  will inhibit bond. Scuff, clean, bond one after the other. No rush, but a few minutes is best time frame. Don't forget to build a small fillet around the bolt head. More surface area and out of plane both improve strength (out of plane makes it tougher for a separation from the material to run). Then give plenty of time for full strength. Usually at least 12 hours, 24 is better.

I am getting ready to send two new board designs to a board fab house.

It is a dev board for the synapse wireless rf200 radio module and a daughter board to prototype on.

I used the sick of beige 100mm x 62mm for this design. Cases are only $3.20 CAD from seeedstudio. 

post-112-0-16518700-1395369539_thumb.png

post-112-0-90751200-1395369540_thumb.png

bluehash likes this

Playing around with Diptrace ... Really nice!!! So much easier to learn and use compared to Eagle and KiCad. Next step: porting my 'reference' design (my 35x35 mm PCB layout) from fritzing to Diptrace.

Just got a very basic IRC client working on the TM4C129 LaunchPad, just logs in, joins a channel & says hello.

Tried to work out the functional framework so it can be extended... eventually as a fully-featured bot.  IRC-controlled home anyone?

Just got a very basic IRC client working on the TM4C129 LaunchPad, just logs in, joins a channel & says hello.

Tried to work out the functional framework so it can be extended... eventually as a fully-featured bot.  IRC-controlled home anyone?

aiyeee. Nice! I'll wait for the writeup.