RobG

Magnifying glasses

14 posts in this topic

Here are the magnifying glasses I am using for SMT work.

They are very good with one exception. The strongest lens has some distortion, looks like mold injection problem.

I was wondering if anyone else has them and if the lens problem is common.

post-73-0-05085400-1390419706_thumb.jpg

GeekDoc likes this

Well, I don't do 0402 period, only 0805 and 0603.

I use 2.5x lens, but I have to inspect TSSOPs with stronger one (I have 10x loupe for that.)

I would use 3.5x, but as I said, it has a tiny flaw in the middle and distortion is bothering me too much.

Nothing to add regarding that, but I use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0015IN8J6?vs=1 (2.5X one) with this 2.5X loupe that can be swung out of the way: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0015ILDZW?cache=6056c2a54cf640e0aab6096670120394π=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70#ref=mp_s_a_1_14 and it works great. I wear glasses behind it too. I think it was the PCB-fab-in-a-box website that tipped me off to that one.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk 4

My vision is getting worse as my components get smaller :).

I was hoping someone would recommend a good pair of dentist loupe glasses. The focal length is much better than the product above. I asked my dentist about his and as expected they were about $800. I've sen some online for $100-$200. I'd be willing to pay that if they work well. Anyone out there using them?

I have a 10x objective lens from a junked microscope that I use as a loupe. The focal length is very short but the optics are good. I can see my messed up TSSOPs in great detail :/

I have one of these. Modified them to work with LiPo battery. (One with protection circuitry build in.) The focal length is quite short, if I understand the subject correctly. (The object magnified must be quite close?) Still good enough for inspecting my soldering. I am so young (little bit over 30) that I can still solder 0805 and TSSOP whit out magnification, so the focal length is not a big issue as of yet. The light is quite handy and it is a lot brighter after my LiPo mod. It was almost useless before, at least with rechargeable Ni-MH batteries. 2.4V vs 4.2V seems to make quite difference.

post-17164-0-31788400-1398286527_thumb.jpg

post-17164-0-48836900-1398286555_thumb.jpg

If this is still an open question, a few points:

Single lens per eye magnifiers will have distortion as the magnification goes up. It is an unavoidable issue. The better quality (more expensive) ones have less, but it will always be there. This is due to a number of basic physics principles. Better quality lenses are not spherical, and reduce the aberration, but at high mag, the region where the aberrations are unnoticeable or correctable by your eye is smaller, and it gets more difficult to keep your eye where the aberrations are minimal. Non-adjustable stereo (optivisor style) are the worst, as unless you are very lucky, your pupil spacing will not be correct to get both eyes to the minimum aberration points at the same time.

Smaller field has less distortion at high mag. The large field mags, like optivisor, will be worse.

Glass lenses from top quality suppliers are better than (nearly) any plastic lens. Plastic lenses are (generally) molded, and distort on cooling. Glass is ground to profile. Again, optivisor types tend to suffer from inherent plastic lens flaws at higher mag.

Compound lenses allow for most of the issues to be corrected. They are not just to give higher magnification. Some of the best units I have used over the years were large objective, low mag, compound lens units.

What I use, with varying levels of comport and utility:

Bausch and lomb 5X watchmakers loupe http://www.bausch.com/our-products/low-vision-product/professional-magnifiers/watchmakers-loupes/ (about $20... MSC has them)

Bausch and lomb eyeglasses loupe 3X and 5X (glass lenses, little aberration) http://www.bausch.com/our-products/low-vision-product/professional-magnifiers/classic-metal-eyeglass-loupes/ About $50. I generally use one, but have fit them to both sides at the same time when needed.

Optivisor style up to about 2X

drugstore reading glasses at 2.0 diopter (about 1.5X mag). Cheap, let me get close, and take the place of safety glasses for SOME things

Bench mounted lighted magnifier of about 1.5X, like http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-4599/Magnifiers/Desktop-Illuminated-Magnifier?pricode=WY676&gadtype=pla&id=71301651442&gclid=CIaM0pLQ970CFUoV7Aod4AgA_A but mine is 6". Don't remember where I got it.

Still saving up for a good stereo microscope. Looking for one for as low as 5X at the eyepieces, up to maybe 50X. Preferably with measuring graticule for 0.001"/0.02mm. I have a monocular for measuring only, but can't work under it... it is only for inspection and measurement. Axial light and polarizer would be awesome, but I am not independently wealthy...

Like most things, you get what you pay for, and good optics are NOT cheap. Large field, high mag, and low aberration requires compound lenses and money. Even fairly low mag with large field (2X or greater) is getting into serious $$$ if quality imaging is needed.

spirilis likes this

I haven't used it in a while... well since it broke... but the digital camera I had, had a sweet macro lens that could zoom in and make banners out of thermal label prints. And its preview LCD on the back gave about 100x zoom up to about 1/2" from the source.

enl likes this

I haven't used it in a while... well since it broke... but the digital camera I had, had a sweet macro lens that could zoom in and make banners out of thermal label prints. And its preview LCD on the back gave about 100x zoom up to about 1/2" from the source.

Hmm... an option I haven't considered. Need to try this with my old camera. May need to devote it to the shop if I can get good mag

Hmm... an option I haven't considered. Need to try this with my old camera. May need to devote it to the shop if I can get good mag

The 100x zoom might have been an exaggeration. :D The zoom was like where the 3/8" tall letters on a 1/2" Dyno label could fill the screen, vertically, and still be legible. But I was literally putting the camera as close to the price tag on the display just to see how clear it was.

The first camera I had doing this was a Canon SD700 IS- it broke when a person on the cell tower dropped it. The second was a Sony something-or-other that I can't find. I test them at the store before buying so I can be sure the labels' photos are clear.

My vision is getting worse as my components get smaller :).

I was hoping someone would recommend a good pair of dentist loupe glasses. The focal length is much better than the product above. I asked my dentist about his and as expected they were about $800. I've sen some online for $100-$200. I'd be willing to pay that if they work well. Anyone out there using them?

For that money I would just buy a binocular microscope and be done with it.  I personally think they are a lot easier to work with.