greeeg

120 LED Ring Clock

150 posts in this topic

Hey Greeg, do you use MSP430?

Sent from my C1904 using Tapatalk

MSP-EXP430G2!

Please do help me do a project with it, using CCS...

If it's possible for you, let me know... I'm in terrible need of it, I have my project submission dated very closer...

And... Before all this, lemme tell you... M a beginner... I wanted to do a project to interface a Current transformer with the launchpad and display " transformer overload" when current inflow is greater than measured...

Please just inform me if you can help me out! Please guys...

Ouch, yes I see your in terrible need.

You need some advise:

please send only one posting and edit your posting to add text, explanation, information or whatever.

This looks silly, don't you think so?

Does your request has to do with the ledring or using the MSP-EXP430G2?

If it is just about a project with CSS with the MSP-EXP430G2, create a new topic.

Posts merged. Member @@Sathyashree has already done this in another thread.  He has been warned.

PCBs are in! this is dubbed the ledRing G2955, (really just rev. 3)

post-274-0-32272100-1403694909_thumb.jpg

I bought solder paste masks for these, because I've been using them in other projects and are really worth the time, especially for QFN, I used to use hot air and this method is alot quicker.

I will test these in about a week once I order the G2955 MCUs that they need.

These use the tagConnect to program, and they connections are the old, ones, which have since been changed. I think another version needs to be made to correct this. I will add a footprint for the older style 4 0.05" because I know that tagConnect cables are expensive (and hard to buy, digikey hasn't had stock for ages :( )

post-274-0-15845700-1403695036_thumb.jpg

Just a question, why not just one type of ring design?

the part that has/need the mcu with the other elektric parts will morphs that ring element as the master.

When there are no parts there is no connection.. Not cheaper? Only need one designed pcb to order.

Just a question, why not just one type of ring design?

the part that has/need the mcu with the other elektric parts will morphs that ring element as the master.

When there are no parts there is no connection.. Not cheaper? Only need one designed pcb to order.

I take it you mean why do you need 4 "dumb" boards and 1 "smart" controller board.

I just think it looks neater :D

BUT! never fear, because the "smart" controller board has a feature built in, short out these pads, or install a small resistor, and the controller section is bypassed.

do this to 4 of the boards and you can make the ring with the one design.

post-274-0-92914700-1403704346_thumb.jpg

GeekDoc and Lord anubis like this

@@greeeg, I have some ideas for how to connect the ring segments together.

If the pads at the end of the boards had a via in them then you could take a pin from a right angle header, solder it into the hole, bring the two boards together. lay the pin across the pad of the mating board and solder it down.

Another idea would be to add a right angle connector set.

What do you think?

@@zeke, Hmm, I like your ideas. The current connection method is to lay a straight header pin across 2 boards and solder it down.

I put in the vias to help with strain relief, I have seen too many SMD pads ripped off on past boards. Currently they're not large enough to fit a right angle header connection :(

I don't think I'd be able to make them bigger since the LEDs are soldered right behind.

You may be able to put a via in the pads on both sides of the junction and then bend the right angle pin once more to make a U shaped pin then solder it into place.

I have done that frequently in my prototyping.

You may be able to use BUSS wire at that moment. It's just solid core [18..26] gauge wire with no jacketing on it. You just spool it off, cut it, bend it and solder it in.

@@zeke I'll look into that.

I have had a bit of interest via email for people wondering about a kit/ something they can buy. So I made a placeholder on tindie.

I plan on selling these off in small limited quantity batches if the interest is there. I haven't actually built and constructed one of these new versions yet, so it might end up being cheaper.

https://www.tindie.com/products/Greeeg/ledring-clock/

If there are small vias on both sides, could you run a fine wire (maybe a single strand from some multicore wire) through both, twist it together and then solder over the top? It would add more strength against pulling the segments apart and less against flexing them, but should work OK. If you really want strength, maybe do this and the straight header pin.

Well, the vias he does have there would easily accept 30 gauge wirewrap wire but that would be like sewing boards together. Kinda labor intensive.

Connectors are the best option. I'll see if I can find some options for you.

So, if you do intend on selling a bunch of these then I would recommend refining the design for mass production. I am available to help you with that when the time is right for you.

@@zeke Thanks, I actually considered using 0.1" SMD right angle. But I quickly discounted them because they didn't hold the separate boards together. 

soldering the separate pieces together does not take long at all. It is also the cheapest option.

GeekDoc likes this

Got my prototype boards soldered up.

Strange to see a Trademark on the MSP430G2955 ICs.

post-274-0-87790300-1404533274_thumb.jpg

None of the many other MSP430 ICs I have have a TM written on them.

Dear Greeeg. 
First of all, sorry for the poor English. My name is Gabor. I am writing from Hungary. I really like this project. I want to build this. The third version, I would like to build. When the source will be public? I downloaded the last CPB plan to do it for a PCB manufacturer. Unfortunately I do not have Altium program. I opened the files Sprint Layout 6.0. Do you know? I used to import gerber files, but not great. Can you help him? 
Thank you very much, 
Gabor

@@kocsgab002 Thank you for your intrest. I'm glad you like the project.

I am waiting for a revised board, with a few small errors fixed (footprints mainly). I am currently working writting the new code to run the ledRing. Once I have finshed it to a respectable standard it will be released under an open source licence, (Probably BSD or CC).

I have never heard of sprint layout 6. However any decent PCB manufacturer should accept those gerber files to produce the PCBs for you. Using a gerber viewer such as gerbv, you can preview the gerber files.

I received a new lot of WS2812's. Curiously they are different from my last set.

For anyone who's curious.

Sorry the lighting is slightly different in each photo, I'm only using a digital camera, not a microscope.

post-274-0-52603400-1405401893_thumb.jpg

Not a big deal, since it looks like the die's are identical. Must have just being assembled by a different factory in china.

I've been working on the code over the past week, mostly backend function to manipulate colour.

I've been working on a fading technique that generates a Gaussian curve with a higher density of datapoints than the LEDs, then sweeping it across a smaller number of LEDs. This requires a higher refresh rate but makes the fading more real.

post-274-0-40229900-1405758340_thumb.jpg

Large ring is 40 points of a Gaussian curve. Small section is 40 points spread over 5 LEDs,

This produces a much nicer fading effect to a static group of LEDs that discretely shift by 1 LED each step. I'll do a comparision video.

I'm working mainly in HSL colour space and converting to RGB. This makes fading easy, just adjust L.

I'm also passing the linear RGB values through a correction table. I made my own, but then ended up using this one for now. (http://rgb-123.com/ws2812-color-output/)

The entire project is being built with the new RedHat msp430-elf GCC, and CCS.

I'm doing all my math functions now with TI's Qmathlib. Great performance and 1/4 of the code space of C's floating point libraries.

Very interesting project. Well designed and executed. I like the modular design. It must have taken a lot of time.

Is there a deeper reason behind the 12 pixel module size, or is it as i suspect due to dimension restraints at the pcb supplier

I have been fiddling with a similar concept on and off for a year or so.  However I haven

Newest boards arrived the other week, Just finished settling into a new home. Finally getting back into things.

@@zeke I took your consideration into the new connection pads.

post-274-0-70656400-1408936867_thumb.jpg

The hole is designed to use a small piece of bent wire to connect the two boards together. The smaller vias still add the needed structural support to the pad.

Hello Greeeg

I built the second version. Almost everything is ready, the PCB is ready, the parts have to. The soldering is complete. Look here: https://picasaweb.google.com/107469147043820444003/LEDringClock?noredirect=1

The programming follows. I downloaded the source code. 

Question 1: Since you compiled the source? As the program entered?

Thank you very much :)

Gabor Kocsis from Hungary

Hello Greeeg

I built the second version. Almost everything is ready, the PCB is ready, the parts have to. The soldering is complete. Look here: https://picasaweb.google.com/107469147043820444003/LEDringClock?noredirect=1
The programming follows. I downloaded the source code. 

Question 1: Since you compiled the source? As the program entered?

Thank you very much :)

Gabor Kocsis from Hungary

That's great. Glad the soldering turned out well, Is that a homemade metal stencil?

I am currently working on some new code for the new version. I will make no promises as to when it will be ready.

Hello deaar Greeg ,i`m very like this project,it`s AWESOME!!  I want to make one,so i downloaded the code ledRing_Code.zip  and Ver.3 PCB files but can`t find the G2553 Controller board AD files,i`d like to using G2553 to do this project,could you send me the g2553 PCB files please? Does the source code(a.out )  only fit for Ver.3 (G2955)?     Leo from China :)

@@greeeg this project looks pretty cool, I'd love to get some boards made to try and make my own. I'm curious if there was an update following on from your last post where you mentioned some pad/pin issues.