bluehash

43oh Nokia 1202 LCD Display BoosterPack

75 posts in this topic

On the display board I made, I used a transistor first, but then realized later I could just run it directly from a pin, through a limiting resistor.

The reason I am asking for more buttons is that this looks like a good board to replace the one I made earlier, but may not make any more. The lcd I used is similar size and quality, but has to be bought in obscene minimum quantities. It was quite popular, so good for the community if this can replace it. I had one button and one touch option, and I thought maybe I could make a touch extension board to attach on top of yours. To allow use of cap touch buttons instead if tactile ones.

Then I would need 4 pins broken out from your board, preferably all from port 2, and could design some different types of touch pads to attach onto your board.

Did you try pressing the fpc connector on, without soldering? Would it work if some screw and a plate to push them on to the board? Would make production very simple...

Note that voltage droop can be quite serious when you draw more than a few mA from a MSP430 pin, particularly when running at lower supply voltages.

Did you try pressing the fpc connector on, without soldering? Would it work if some screw and a plate to push them on to the board? Would make production very simple...

I'll bet you it would work.  I thought of trying but I soldered up both of my boosterpack boards already :-D

On the display board I made, I used a transistor first, but then realized later I could just run it directly from a pin, through a limiting resistor.

The reason I am asking for more buttons is that this looks like a good board to replace the one I made earlier, but may not make any more. The lcd I used is similar size and quality, but has to be bought in obscene minimum quantities. It was quite popular, so good for the community if this can replace it. I had one button and one touch option, and I thought maybe I could make a touch extension board to attach on top of yours. To allow use of cap touch buttons instead if tactile ones.

Then I would need 4 pins broken out from your board, preferably all from port 2, and could design some different types of touch pads to attach onto your board.

I gotcha ... Do you have a link to some pics and schematic for the old board?  Did it fit the TI boosterpack standard or was it a different kind of board?

edit: Hmm, yeah, thinking more about that now.  Could probably work out a boosterpack with 4 buttons and 5 PTH pads (4 lines + GND) around the pushbutton area to replace it.

Std boosterpack. You can see pics on http://lars.roland.bz/lcd but also her on 43oh.com. They were sold in the store. I am on a phone now, so difficult to find the right links. During design, I also wondered if I should have gone for a tactile joystick. They are quite cheap at dx.com, but four tactile buttons are cheaper.

I think a cap touch addon board which raises the touch board a few mm and makes the display and touch pads at the same level is a good idea when mounting inside a box. See the 43oh thread on my display board for pictures of box mounting.

I have some touch test boards at home and will try with your board when I sm back from holiday. But having 4 pinouts would have been better for me, as I could then use 4 separate buttons.

4 pth plus ground as you suggest would be ideal. But I have had issues with port 1 for touch, so if you can spare 4 pins from port 2, I know that will work.

Edit: the closer to the display the 5 pth are, the better, I think. Then the 5 pth can be on top of the touch board and not in the middle of the buttons. Not sure what is easy for you yo design in.

Edit 2: screw holes on each side of the display connector would make it easy to test if a press-on solution is sufficient instead if soldering.

@@RobG - OT - can You betray the secret about buttons connections?

As I think they are connected to analog pin?

Can You show the scheme with Your resistors value?

tnx!

@@reaper7 I think it's a resistor ladder of sorts where each button presents an odd resistance such that it can be determined which button(s) are pressed even when multiple buttons are pressed.

@@reaper7 It's an analog solution to what would otherwise need a digital solution.

From what I understand, using analog dividers doesn't as require much de-bounce processing.

And if you're trying to make as many GPIO available as possible, it makes sense to use the ADC when you can.

Now, my disclaimer is that I do not know much about anything.

What I'm saying makes sense to me within the boundaries of what I know.

I could be wrong.

Sorry to disappoint you guys :), but my switches are not analog. Those RCs you see are for hardware denouncing. I didn't want to use analog for 2 reasons. It's easier for a beginner (target user for my board) to use digital IO and I you can press 2 switches at the same time.

If you want to use analog way, here are the values for a 5 switch setup, 4k7 from Vcc, 5 resistors to GND: 22k, 10k, 4k7, 2k2, 1k2.

This will give you Vcc/GND: 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 4/5

Well, the solution I have mentioned before will let you use all 5 buttons at the same time.

Here's another one, serial instead of parallel.

R6 could be 1k, 4k, or 16k, or even 0k5 or 32k.

post-73-0-00368400-1374242484_thumb.png

reaper7 likes this

I just received 10 LCDs for $10.5 shipped. If anyone is interested here is the link to the seller:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-LCD-for-Nokia-1202-Free-Shipping/955830561.html

exactly 3 weeks from the payment to receiving goods. These LCDs are the ones with vias on flex.

Man these things are just like the nRF24L01+, dirt cheap & getting cheaper!!

I just received 10 LCDs for $10.5 shipped. If anyone is interested here is the link to the seller:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-LCD-for-Nokia-1202-Free-Shipping/955830561.html

exactly 3 weeks from the payment to receiving goods. These LCDs are the ones with vias on flex.

Has anyone used these with success? I have a batch, but they do not work as nice as my other batch.

Not sure if it's my config, reset, or else.

EDIT:

Found the answer, it was reset.

My first batch of LCDs works great with 30ms RC reset. The second batch doesn't.

I had to get rid of RC and connect reset to a pin. 

Reset sequence that works for both is: reset low, 100ms delay, reset high, 100ms delay, init LCD.

Humm, I need to consider that as I'm having trouble getting mine to do anything on the Hercules even though my logic analyzer shows correct data.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk

Figured I'd post here for the hell of it ... After several days of trials & tribulations, I got the 1202 to show up reliably on the Hercules TMS570 LaunchPad using FreeRTOS--I actually wrote a driver "task" that handles requests via a queue, so it can receive graphics or text from multiple threads.

The journey included finding a major omission/bug in HALCoGen's FreeRTOS implementation (several functions missing from the MPU port, which is funny cause the Hercules has an MPU and uses it by default!), learning some uglyness about the HALCoGen SPI functions' behavior and also discovering that TI interprets CPHA (SPI clock phase) opposite everyone else on the Hercules platform, just like they do on the MSP430 USCI platform.

Without further adieu, we have 0x55 written to all memory buffers (horizontal lines):

post-15991-0-00451900-1376510224_thumb.jpg

Code needs a lot of cleanup, plus text management & fonts aren't implemented (just writing direct graphics... I want the driver task to understand & manage text) so I'll wait a while before releasing.

The client task which generated the horizontal lines looks like this:

void LCD_test(void *pvParameters)
{
	Herc1202Handle lcd;
	uint8_t *scratchbuf;
	long i;

scratchbuf = (uint8_t*)pvPortMalloc(16*6*9);
	lcd = Herc1202_Open();
	Herc1202_Invert(lcd, 1, scratchbuf);
	for (i=0; i < 16*6*9; i++) {
		scratchbuf[i] = 0x55;
	}
	Herc1202_Write(lcd, scratchbuf, 16*6*9);
	while(1)
		taskYIELD();
}
RobG, Rickta59 and bluehash like this

edit: Uhm, accidentally put CS on P2.7 instead of P2.5, let me fix that ... Fixed.

Minor update on this boosterpack-

After reading through TI's new official Build-Your-Own-BoosterPack rules, http://www.ti.com/byob ... I've remapped some of the pins for a new v2.3 release of the boosterpack design:

SPI CS = P2.5 ("SPI_CS_Display")

Backlight LED transistor gate = P2.6 (PWM Output)

Pushbuttons = P2.0, P2.3 (GPIO (!))

Alternate RESET line goes to P1.3 (GPIO (!)), though it still connects to the LP's RESET line by default.

SPI MOSI connects to the USCI MOSI pin (P1.7) by default, not USI (P1.6).

With these changes, per the BYOB page, I can properly include the LaunchPad rocket logo and I added "remappable" to it to indicate as such.

post-15991-0-68074900-1379957434_thumb.png

post-15991-0-17057400-1379957443_thumb.png

Schematic: DipTrace Schematic - Nokia1202_BPak_v2_3.pdf

Elecrow/Seeed/ITead gerbers: Elecrow_Nokia1202_v2_3_5x5.zip

OSHpark gerbers: OSH_Nokia1202_v2_3.zip

DipTrace Design Files (.dch schematic, .dip PCB design): Nokia1202_BPak_v2_3_DipTraceDesignFiles.zip

bluehash likes this