LariSan

LaunchPad Proto Plate- from Ponoko

63 posts in this topic

I had a few of these "protoplates" made-- I fell in love with the one from AdaFruit for the BeagleBone and really wanted one for the LaunchPad and had some made. 

(I have to thank Bart, if he's on here, for really making my first Ponoko trial-run so smooth). 

post-3-0-14746400-1364582164_thumb.jpg

So here is where you can order the sheet.
It's 14 total plates on the Plastic- Acrylic- Clear- 3mm- P3 sized sheet, which comes out to be about 3.50 for each plate- total about 46.50 (Bart had free shipping since he's a regular user at Ponoko). 

post-3-0-21973600-1364582166_thumb.jpg

I'm sure there is a more efficient way to arrange these to get more on the same sheet (there was a lot of extra plastic that wasn't used).

This was a trail run for me. 

It comes in a large sheet, where you only need to pull off your plate

post-3-0-47694700-1364582167_thumb.jpg

I left the backing on the plate--
post-3-0-91866800-1364582168_thumb.jpg

Added the breadboard:
post-3-0-50552900-1364582170_thumb.jpg

these breadboards from Mouser (I get them in packs of 10 so it comes out to be about 4.95 a piece)

The hardest part was to figure out how to connect the LaunchPad to the sheet. 
Even though it's nice that the rubber feet were already included... it turned out to be inconvenient. 
The BeagleBone and the Arduinos have screws that allow you to use standoffs. 
In this case after trying:
hot glue, epoxy, these scrapbooking "zots" (super strong adhesive tapes in dot shape) and double stick tape and found out that all of them don't adhere to the rubber well. 
What's worked is Crazy Glue. 
post-3-0-59379300-1364582173_thumb.jpg

Put it on the LaunchPad, set it down and let it dry... 

then I peeled off the backing. 

post-3-0-03561600-1364582175_thumb.jpg

I'll get to test these in a workshop soon, but so far I like them, but plan on changing a few things. 
I have about three extra that I wouldn't mind sending to anyone who wanted to see it. 

It's hard to know which direction is up...
I have two sleds and one is right handed and the other is left handed... I guess if I just removed the logo all together I could have it be either right or left handed  :smile:
post-3-0-70674900-1364582176_thumb.jpg

This is what I think my next one will look like, but I'm completely open for any suggestions!

post-3-0-07014200-1364582179_thumb.jpg

Hope that's helpful, I've included the files to make the edits in my dropbox (it's in illustrator and the forum doesn't like the format for some reason). https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6tho7jrplryvyhl/PJAJ22XqpQ

Final- LaunchPad Proto-Sled v1.0- Bart.zip

Edited by bluehash
Fix. But wait, there's more! :)
yyrkoon, johnnyb, dubnet and 8 others like this

Looks good! Moving to general. This will get more exposure there. 

If Bart want's too, he can publish the stl files in this thread.

What happened to your keyboard...what laptop is that?

>Blue Hash: What happened to your keyboard...what laptop is that?

LOL, it's the non-Work Laptop I do about 95% of my work on.

My macbook. 

The keyboard is a cover that embarrassingly I have to keep on the laptop because I spend too much time with my laptop doing every day things (e.g. eating). and it's easier to remove the cover, rinse it off and then put it back than cleaning out the computer :-)

Thanks for fixing the post. 

bluehash likes this

How did you get the LP to stick to the board?  

Now the post is fixed, it should show that :-)

I actually had to try several things, turns out Crazy Glue works the best. 

Second best is the industrial strength foam squares, but you have to rip off the rubber feet. 

8599990661_a81e13cf75_z.jpg[/url]

We can do a GB if anyone wants in. For breadboards, I'll have to source it. Anyone have any choices on bread boards?

I have a couple of extra I can send if someone wants to try it.  

Since I haven't tested it yet, I'm not sure what people prefer. 

e.g. do people like being able to pick which side they want to mount the LaunchPad (right or left)

The plus side of it, both sizes fit in the giant box. 

@@LariSan, screw terminals on the four ends.

okay, for standoffs, or little rubber feet?

That may be a lot easier and cheaper than gluing four feet on every one of them!

I meant standoffs for the board edges.. there is no way to put the LP on standoffs as there are no holes on it. In the next LP rev, it would be nice to have holes on the 4 corners of the PCB. It helps us mount the LP on stuff.

LariSan likes this

How about ripping the feet of and reusing them onthe plate, then using doublesided adhesive tapeto fasten the board to the plate?

GeekDoc likes this

I'd love to have one or two of these, if we do a group buy.  :thumbup:

If we're sourcing breadboards, maybe get red ones to go with the LaunchPad theme?  Clear ones look good on the clear plexi as well.

bluehash likes this

Bart checking in here.  I think this is my first 43oh post despite being a member for some time.

The original design was put together on a whim after talking to Lari one day about some training.  There's no particular reason it was made in a portrait orientation, and landscape will probably work even better.

I published the design on Ponoko this morning for you guys, but it looks like Lari already took care of that.  So if you want on of the V1 designs, you can order it straight from them: http://www.ponoko.com/design-your-own/products/launchpad-proto-plate-9765

Ponoko doesn't use STL files, but rather EPS. They do all the conversions to STL inhouse, using color data from the EPS file to set etching and the like.

The original plan to mount the Launchpad down was to use some double stick foam dots like these: http://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Double-Sided-Diameter-Package/dp/B0046NNHIO

Ideally they would just replace the rubber feet.  No idea how well that would work; they might have to be stacked to get the right thickness.  Another option for V2, depending on how much Lari want's to spend, is to use some fancier corner mount board standoffs: http://www.richco-inc.com/products/circuit-board-hardware/97-circuit-board-hardware-catalog.html?PartNum=&country=RICHCOUSA&grpcode=A1850

This would also require some rubber feet on the sled since there are screws on the other side.

Adding feet to the sled would also give a little more clearance for the wire wrap headers on the C2000 and Stellaris launchpads.  I think we can easily add some cutouts to allow those to pass through unmodified so that the Launchpads can be reused.  This would let the design be compliant across the whole Launchpad family, which is kinda the idea of them in the first place.

If you guys have any other ideas, please let us know.

bluehash, LariSan and spirilis like this

@@ILAMtitan Welcome to 43oh! If you are a TI'er and would like a badge next to your avatar, just quote this message.

@@LariSanIf you want, we can do a group buy once all are happy with the features, which will include the breadboards.

I am indeed a TIer, working in the MCU group. 

I know that Ponoko will also source the launchpads and breadboards and assemble these, but I don't think it would be worth the extra cost to people here.  It may be something to explore in the future if a broader interest develops.

I am indeed a TIer, working in the MCU group.

Thanks for getting on board. If there is a way to hook up our LPs to our home electric meters, that would be great. I just have a blinking light on my meter. @@GeekDoc was working on a similar project

I know that Ponoko will also source the launchpads and breadboards and assemble these, but I don't think it would be worth the extra cost to people here.  It may be something to explore in the future if a broader interest develops.

Alright, give me a few days to get some prices up for the full package.

Tangent question- Has anyone at TI worked on/come up with a cool system for carrying their equipment on the go?  E.g. boxes with dividers for the boosterpacks, maybe some sort of cover to protect the pins (particularly those thin pins on the stackable headers), etc.

The LaunchPad box itself works quite well when you yank out the inner cardboard (although stackable-type pins often bend if I'm hasty with it) but I'd imagine it could be better.

I received an Anaren Air ZigBee boosterpack kit from the promo TI MCU did on their facebook page, and I was very impressed how well protected and packed those boosterpacks were.  The plastic cases are a good idea for protecting them.

roadrunner84 likes this

Tangent question- Has anyone at TI worked on/come up with a cool system for carrying their equipment on the go?  E.g. boxes with dividers for the boosterpacks, maybe some sort of cover to protect the pins (particularly those thin pins on the stackable headers), etc.

The LaunchPad box itself works quite well when you yank out the inner cardboard (although stackable-type pins often bend if I'm hasty with it) but I'd imagine it could be better.

I received an Anaren Air ZigBee boosterpack kit from the promo TI MCU did on their facebook page, and I was very impressed how well protected and packed those boosterpacks were.  The plastic cases are a good idea for protecting them.

Not sure if this counts, but I've played with a few ideas myself (since I have to pack up and go to trade shows a lot). 

the first-- I like to use photo-holders (like the kind you can get at scrapbook stores):

8609344865_31cf074feb_z.jpg[/url]

This one is from container store

Whats+in+MCUniversitis+bag-+the+kits.jpg

Showing them in my backpack. 

I've also tried storing them in acrylic containers like this, but I found that it doesn't travel well (thin acrylic shatters)

8609220961_983da37e6e_z.jpg[/url]

Also, this is what I have in my office to store the boosterpacks. 
I used these office containers for paper with little clear trays. 
8610327368_d0bb48099d_z.jpg[/url]
spirilis, bluehash and izdane like this

I recently got a laser, so if you're not already commited to the Ponoko route I'd be happy to cut a few plates and send them to Bluehash for the store. I've got a lot out of this site so would appreciate the chance to give something back.

On the plus side: They'll be completely free. I can quickly try out different designs, colours or ideas.

On the minus side: My maximum cutting area is A4 (297 x 210mm) so might have to adjust the size to fit. I can vector engrave but I'm using Mach3 and I've not sorted out raster engraving yet

LariSan, Rickta59, bluehash and 2 others like this