• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 VMM

VMM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

Hello.  I figured I would share a project I've been working on since I borrowed a lot of code from this forum.  It's a small watch using a g2553 and the same OLED display as "The Terminal".  Thanks bluehash for the breakout, RobG and gwdeveloper for code, and others.  ;)

watch_1-300x272.jpg

• bluehash, RobG, gwdeveloper and 13 others like this

#2 spirilis

spirilis

Level 5

• Members
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

Slick!!

I made some 43oh Store gadgets

Also see my Tindie store

#3 bluehash

bluehash

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

Super!.. could you give us some more information? I'd love to build this.

Stellarisiti - Join the new Tiva-C/Stellaris ARM Forums discussing Tiva-C(Stellaris) Microcontrollers.

C2kCentral - C2000 News, Projects and Forums
43oh - MSP430 Discussion, News, Projects and Hacks
MachineGrid - Robots, Hacks and Technology!

#4 VMM

VMM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Schematic is here:

http://voodoomanmiracle.com/wp/?p=59

I will try to add more info there.

It's basically the same as your OLED booster pack.  This made it really easy to test code on the LP + Terminal without changing anything for the watch.  There is also a place for a current sense resistor to monitor current while running off the battery.

I want to add an accelerometer in the next version.  I'm currently looking for a good part for that, and open to suggestions.  I want to use that to replace some button functions.  For example, tapping twice on the screen to show time, or twisting your wrist.

I'll try to share some boards with you guys on the next round.  Current version is a little bodged.  I put some vias too close to the flex ribbon pads, etc.

• bluehash likes this

#5 bluehash

bluehash

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

Thanks!

Make sure you upload a small video. How many axes do you need on the accelerometer?

Stellarisiti - Join the new Tiva-C/Stellaris ARM Forums discussing Tiva-C(Stellaris) Microcontrollers.

#6 VMM

VMM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Need the Z axis to make the tap thing work.  Could probably find a use for the others, but not necessary.  I want it to be able to trigger an interrupt to wake the micro.  Don't want to keep polling it.  Programmable threshold on that would be nice.  And low power is big priority.

#7 rockets4kids

rockets4kids

Level 3

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

Nice!

Do you have any better pictures?

Did the case come from an existing watch, or did you fabricate that as well?

#8 izdane

izdane

Level 1

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationActon, Ontario

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:09 AM

That thing looks awesome!

Where did you get the OLED for the watch? 

#9 VMM

VMM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:27 AM

I got the display from gabotronics.  I also got some blue ones from a shady chinese company, but they don't seem to work for this.  There really isn't much of a case.  I filled between the display and pcb with epoxy.  Glued on the tips of some servo horns for watch band lugs.  Made a back plate from some sculpey.  It's actually holding up pretty well, but I'll probably get something better done on a rapid prototype machine at some point.

#10 bluehash

bluehash

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:46 AM

I got the display from gabotronics.  I also got some blue ones from a shady chinese company, but they don't seem to work for this.  There really isn't much of a case.  I filled between the display and pcb with epoxy.  Glued on the tips of some servo horns for watch band lugs.  Made a back plate from some sculpey.  It's actually holding up pretty well, but I'll probably get something better done on a rapid prototype machine at some point.

Lars' watch might provide you with some inspiration.

2011-06-30 13.40.25.jpg

#11 VMM

VMM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:21 AM

Yeah.  Something like that.  Case design might actually be kinda tough.  The buttons are the hard part.  I'd also like to keep it as small as possible.  Will need to brush up on my 3d modeling.

#12 jpnorair

jpnorair

Level 3

• Members
  • 654 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:23 AM

low power accelerometers are very expensive.  You could rig-up a piezo shock detector, though, for the sort of feature you're chasing.

• roadrunner84 likes this
jpnorair: GitHub | Wikipedia | Wiki | Blog | Haytag

#13 xpg

xpg

Level 2

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

That's really neat!

#14 VMM

VMM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

low power accelerometers are very expensive.  You could rig-up a piezo shock detector, though, for the sort of feature you're chasing.

You're right about price.  I don't really mind, though, as I don't plan to mass produce or anything.

I think the piezo would require a lot more design considerations.  It would also be larger.

With the accelerometer, all the fine tuning can be done in software.

I also had the idea to use it to log sleep patterns.  Graphs could be shown right on the display in the morning.  

edit:  I may be wrong about the piezo.  Do you think the flexible film type could be adhered to the back of the display and function as described.  It wont flex much behind the layers of glass.

#15 mogorman

mogorman

Noob Class

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

How long where you driving the watch with the display on?  and what kind of mA are you drawing awake vs in sleep?

#16 jpnorair

jpnorair

Level 3

• Members
  • 654 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

You're right about price.  I don't really mind, though, as I don't plan to mass produce or anything.

I think the piezo would require a lot more design considerations.  It would also be larger.

With the accelerometer, all the fine tuning can be done in software.

Fair enough.  The lowest power MEMS accelerometer I've seen is from Analog Devices.  I forget the part number, but if you go onto the analog.com website, you can search and find the one with the lowest current.  It has an automated low-duty mode that will drain 1.8 uA, IIRC.  To get lower than that, you need to rig-up a piezo.  Considering that MSP430 has comparator, timer, and ADC in the peripherals, the piezo solution would be largely software-bound as well.

• bluehash and roadrunner84 like this

#17 mechg

mechg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

Very nice!  I need one - for all those times that someone asks me for the time, date and voltage.  ;-)

#18 VMM

VMM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

i've been working on this a bit more.  i hope to build another one soon.  in the mean time, here is a sneak peek:

wrender.jpg

• bluehash, jpnorair and link like this

#19 jpnorair

jpnorair

Level 3

• Members
  • 654 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

Nice!  Which accelerometer did you choose?  I've been experimenting with some of the really small chips from ST.  They are getting down to <$1 now.

#20 VMM

VMM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

i went with the LIS3DH.  it has some neat features i wanted to play with.  a lot of these accelerometers are mostly pin compatible though, so i may be able to use something else if i need to.  i also decided to go with a FR5738 this time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users