• Create Account

Photo

Is it just me or tonight TI doubled LaunchPad price?

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#41 SirPatrick

SirPatrick

Level 1

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City
  • Sparkfun Wishlist

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:08 AM

Haha I ordered five as well. I bet they saw a jump in sales. What if it is just a marketing gag? :p

#42 pine

pine

Level 2

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

$5 now at estore

###
Part Number: MSP-EXP430G2

Availability: On Backorder Ships in 2 to 4 weeks.

Our Price: $5.00

Quantity: 1

(min 1, max 30)

###

$4.3 is history now? :(

#43 GG430

GG430

Level 1

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Remember, TI's website is run by a finite number of monkeys...

I start to believe it ;-)

#44 rockets4kids

rockets4kids

Level 3

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

Raising the price from $4.30 to $5 is even more stupid than raising it to $10. It is probably going to cost them more to update the web site and all the associated documentation than they are going to recover in some time. Heck, they didn't even bother to update the price in the description of the item on that very page in the web store itself!

I'm guessing that some bean counter got bent out of shape at how much they were "losing" on each sale and demanded a price increase. Then, when they realized that at $10 they were overpricing ST's Discovery F0 board -- whose Cortex M0 chip is targeted very closely at the MSP430 market -- they had to back off from the $10 price point. But no, rather than just bail on the idea, they compromise on a 70 cent price increase. It seems like someone else is as bone headed as the web team.

The sensible thing to do would be to increase production so they don't go on backorder, so they then don't have to send out all the backordered items via overnight post, which I am sure is far, far more expensive. Not to mention the fact that they are keeping potential customers waiting 2-4 weeks in the process.

If any of you TI people are out there reading this, consider yourself slapped silly by the clue-by-four.

#45 pine

pine

Level 2

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Then, when they realized that at $10 they were overpricing ST's Discovery F0 board -- whose Cortex M0 chip is targeted very closely at the MSP430 market -- they had to back off from the $10 price point

I was thinking along the same line too.. was thinking for $3 more I can have the StellarPad.

But still, the 430LP is still attractive to me, for its DIP package, 2 chips per package, and USB<->serial on board. And for those of us living outside the US continent, free shipping is simply irresistable.

#46 SugarAddict

SugarAddict

Level 3

• Members
  • 700 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

Well that's just silly.  TI should enjoy hunting down all those price references they put everywhere.

Join us in IRC @ FreeNode
Anything I've done is free public domain if not specifically marked
CC BY SA or OSHW
"Holy crap! Why would you even save those?" - bluehash
"All boundaries are conventions waiting to be transcended." - Cloud Atlas

#47 elpaso

elpaso

Level 1

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationItaly, somewhere in the mountains near Turin
  • Github Repository

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

The price changed from 4.30 to 5.00 to 9.99 then back to 4.30 and now is 5.00... all this in less than 48 hours.

Maybe they loaded a bingo module on their e-commerce software  8-)

#48 bluehash

bluehash

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

The price changed from 4.30 to 5.00 to 9.99 then back to 4.30 and now is 5.00... all this in less than 48 hours.

Maybe they loaded a bingo module on their e-commerce software  8-)

Which means they may be figuring things out. Also, it is the weekend.. a bit difficult to get hold of people. I'd give them some time to sort this out.

• cubeberg likes this

Stellarisiti - Join the new Tiva-C/Stellaris ARM Forums discussing Tiva-C(Stellaris) Microcontrollers.

C2kCentral - C2000 News, Projects and Forums
43oh - MSP430 Discussion, News, Projects and Hacks
MachineGrid - Robots, Hacks and Technology!

#49 RobG

RobG

Level 5

• Members
  • 2,779 posts
  • LocationCary, NC, US

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

Is this a new revision? 1.6?

#50 SugarAddict

SugarAddict

Level 3

• Members
  • 700 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:54 AM

Don't look now... Mouser has it for $11... $11!!!!!

CC BY SA or OSHW

#51 roadrunner84

roadrunner84

Level 4

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationEindhoven, the Netherlands

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

It's back at $5,- again :?

Always connect a pull-up resistor (47kΩ) and a pull-down capacitor (2.2nF) to reset.

Never use delay() or _delay_cycles(). Never use floating points in embedded systems.

#52 adrianF

adrianF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

Hi 43oh community,

This is Adrian from the TI MCU group - wanted to chime in and confirm that the price of LaunchPad will change to $9.99. While the $4.30 promotional price of the MSP430 LaunchPad ended on March 1, 2013, at $9.99 it remains TI’s lowest cost development tool and a highly effective, low-cost evaluation kit. The MSP430 LaunchPad will continue to be an affordable, flexible and user-friendly introduction to the overall MSP portfolio. This new price will allow us to continue to invest in this ecosystem and bring LaunchPad to the next level – making way for new LaunchPads, more BoosterPacks and enabling new partners.

We apologize for any confusion and have set the updated price into the system, which will take some time to go into effect. Also, big thanks to Bluehash and the 43oh community for helping us build this ecosystem. Without you all, LaunchPad would not be the success it is. We are continually humbled by the rapid growth of this community and excited about the innovative projects this community is creating, including Energia, various BoosterPacks and software libraries and more! You continue to inspire many of us inside of TI, and we’re looking forward to the continued growth of the MCU LaunchPad ecosystem and community.

Thanks

Adrian

• EngIP likes this

@aye_dreee_an

#53 Rickta59

Rickta59

Level 3

• Global Moderators
  • 716 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:03 AM

You can kill an ecosystem a lot quicker than you can build one...
  • ike and zborgerd like this

#54 username

username

Level 2

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:34 AM

Not to be debbie downer but at 10bucks, there isn't much reason to get a launchpad. First male headers, now doubling the price on the launchpad? A STM32F0 discovery board has 4x the flash program space, 15x the RAM, 3x the core CLK speed, 2x w/ 32bit instruction set and is now CHEAPER than the msp430 launchpad. The MSP430 launchpad has lost its only selling point which was its price. 32 bit ARM processors are far more powerful, have more open source support, and compete with the msp430 in their low power models. Why use TI msp430s at school or work now? *cries* why TI...why...?

There numerous other dev boards in the 10usd range as well that flat how destroy the msp430... another example is the Freescale Freedom board which is 12 bucks. For an extra 2 usd you get a Cortex M0+ w/ USB support...ect

Only thing that drew people to the launchpad was the price. Not the dev tools or the MCU itself and especially not the company TI as a whole. ..Edit: sorry rage moment... Always been a decent fan of TI until they pull things like this  :-(

RoHS = Restriction of Helpful Substances....

#55 timotet

timotet

Level 1

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationBend , Oregon

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

This is about to get very interesting....

#56 Rickta59

Rickta59

Level 3

• Global Moderators
  • 716 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:37 AM

Only thing that drew people to the launchpad was the price. Not the dev tools or the MCU itself and especially not the company TI as a whole

That was actually a draw for me. The fact that it was a TI product.

#57 RobG

RobG

Level 5

• Members
  • 2,779 posts
  • LocationCary, NC, US

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:00 AM

Bummer.

Still good deal I think ($4.30 BP + $5.70 Fedex shipping.)

#58 calin

calin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:14 AM

Next step is they will cut their samples program. 

#59 SugarAddict

SugarAddict

Level 3

• Members
  • 700 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:32 AM

Bummer.

Still good deal I think ($4.30 BP + $5.70 Fedex shipping.)

Looking at it that way makes it seem legit for buying 1... But that doesn't account nicely for multiples.  The price got me into it and got me to hand them out.  At $4.30 it's less than a pack of smokes here and I could easily hand out 10 without blinking... but now, handing out 10 is $100? I won't be handing out free LP's anymore now...

CC BY SA or OSHW

#60 OhmMegaman

OhmMegaman

Noob Class

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:37 AM

The msp430 was my first micro. At $4.30 and free shipping any newbie is willing to "take the risk" into the world of microcontrollers. I don't think $10 is outrageous but I can guarantee I would look around on the internet more to see what else I could get for $10 first before i picked up an msp430.

• EngIP likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users