• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 eried

eried

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:17 AM

[ ADMIN -  Please see this thread by admin and response by thread author about mod updates. ]

funny-angry-girl-cat-soon.jpgNOTE: This is NOT the official Energia release. Report here the problems you find using this mod. Don't nag anyone else.

Hello there! this is a tweaked Energia IDE (Arduino version here), don't lose time setting up anything, Java or the drivers, just use this fully automated installer. Plus, you get a improved experience (and extra time to think in sending me a little tip :wave:)
Download (2013-02-09):

Soon? maybe?
http://static.themet...rl-cat-soon.jpg

Less than 55 mb, for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7/8 (x86/x64), Requires .Net Framework 4.0 and nothing else required at all, no other app, package, drivers, just your arduino and brain.

[ ADMIN - Removed Donate button, please see this thread by admin and response by thread author. ]

2013-02-08_2216.png

2. Driver installer
Prepares your system for the boards. Tested in Windows 8.
2013-02-08_2214.png

3. Pretty splash screen
Come on! original one is awful! (even the jpg compression is poor heheh)
2013-02-08_2221.png

4. Menu with Scroll support and better organization
Lots of Sketches? lots of Libraries? lots of Examples?, No problems at all.
2012-09-29_0523.png

5. Pretty Windows Icon
No more blurry/ugly icons For Windows 7/8 taskbar.
2013-02-08_2223.png

6. No delays over Tools menu or at startup
Produced by some BT dongles (More information: http://www.arduino.c...?num=1237179908).

7. Sketch template
Start coding right away, the first sketch is compilable without pressing a key! The IDE finds a sweet spot to place the cursor for you. Also notice the fancy new font:
2013-02-08_2346.png

8. More and custom settings
Does not mess with other Arduino IDE versions and preferences (not even with official ones). You can go to Preferences and set another Sketch directory to keep your User librararies and sketches appart.
Also the font is customizable easily.
http://content.scree...-10-23_2026.png

9. File association, desktop icon, Start menu program group icons
Small details for your own amusement
http://content.scree...-11-05_2359.png

10. New library manager
Manage your libraries from Documents/Arduino/Libraries folder with ease and the IDE will reflect the changes without restart :smile:
* Enable or disable them: Click the checkbox (disabled libraries will not appear in the IDE or their EXAMPLES)
* Delete library: Select library and press DEL
* Add library: Click ADD, then select the a proper file of the library or select a ZIP file (manager will handle everything for you)
2012-11-06_0001.png

11. More IDE enhancements!
* Undo/redo: Now remember the cursor position, almost unlimited buffer for undo
* Easy mouse selection: Now the selection with the mouse is slowed down to keep it controlable when selecting lots of lines
* Smart Reference!: Detect the selected word automatically, now you don't need to select the whole word or even a part! anything will work just right click http://screencast.com/t/dfp7m4vA7k
* More useful Copy/Cut functions: If you right click without selection, the action applies to the Line 8)
* Hold Shift key on Verify: To get Verbose compilation
* Hold Control key on Upload: To open the Serial Monitor automatically when upload complete (do not lose a bit! from the Serial data or compulsivelly click the serial monitor button).
Additionally you can use the new option in File menu too:
http://content.scree...12-19.12.25.png

Or maybe you just forget all of those things? so just click once and Schedule the Monitor to open automatically when upload completes:
http://content.scree...-09-24_2233.png

* Options to get the Hex file path and open the Compilation folder in one click:
http://content.scree...-09-29_0515.png

12. Better search and replace
Big project? Lots of tabs? No worries! Use the Search all tabs option:
http://content.scree...-09-24_1627.png

13. Little Serial Monitor improvements
Hold the output unchecking "Receiving" when you like and/or set "AutoClear" to automatically clear the monitor output if more than 1 second elapsed since last data (debug anything with ease!):
http://content.scree...-09-10_1811.png

14. Unninstall & small package
Not an improvement but as a normal windows app, includes an easy way to remove it :smile: and the setup including java and everything you need is about 54 mb.
Commit History (features+source files):
https://github.com/e.../commits/master

Changelog:
* 1.0.3 20130209: First version

[ ADMIN -  Please see this thread by admin and response by thread author about mod updates. ]

Edited by bluehash, 12 February 2013 - 09:22 AM.
Please see edited admin note at the top and bottom of this post.

• p2baron likes this

#2 xv4y

xv4y

Level 1

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationViêt-Nam

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

Being on OS X this does not apply to me however I would not download and install "flashy" packages from someone who has only 1 post on the forum. This package is not open source anymore and you have no way to check it does not include any virus or bloatware.
That's just my own opinion and I would be pleased to be demonstrated this package is safe and has a true value for its user...

Curiouser and curiouser, the author claims to have published the source code but this leads to an empty page. Please moderators have a loot at it.

Yan.

---
Yannick DEVOS - XV4Y

http://xv4y.radioclub.asia/

#3 eried

eried

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:32 AM

I am uploading the source, it is very big but it is based on http://arduino.cc/fo...c,118440.0.html

2013-02-09_0135.png

#4 Rei Vilo

Rei Vilo

Level 3

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

The Enhanced Release of Arduino IDE is really great and has saved me a lot a trouble when I use Windows.

I've tried it on Windows and I can no longer use the official Arduino IDE! It is very popular among Arduino users.

Thank you Erwin for releasing the same Enhanced Release for Energia! :smile:

• eried likes this

#5 xv4y

xv4y

Level 1

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationViêt-Nam

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

Hi Rei Vilo,

Ok for you backing this. Sorry if I was a bit paranoid.

Then I will blank my previous comment if it is irrelevant.

Yan.

---
Yannick DEVOS - XV4Y

http://xv4y.radioclub.asia/

#6 yyrkoon

yyrkoon

Level 3

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

The Enhanced Release of Arduino IDE is really great and has saved me a lot a trouble when I use Windows.

I've tried it on Windows and I can no longer use the official Arduino IDE! It is very popular among Arduino users.

Saves you trouble how ?

go to github -> download -> unzip -> use. I've never had any troubles with Energia past learning what the various different things do, and how to do them. Once learned there have been zero problems for me. Granted, I do not use the framework.

Either way, most of the "fixes" are superficial, and the app its self does not need an installer. It's a true portable app( Energia that is ).

Now if there were one click methods for using msp430-size/dump on a given project hex/elf file, that might be useful ( for me ).

File->preferences->use external editor. . .Anyway, yes I am probably pretty hard to impress.

I'm an eye-for-an-eye, tooth-for-a-tooth kind of guy.  -  So you support a system that would leave everyone blind and toothless. -  Not everyone. Just the bad guys.

Youtube channel  Blog

#7 eried

eried

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Hey thanks! I opened energia and saw all the old Arduino problems :/ so it was a bit depressing and I needed to port all the code

Saves you trouble how ?

go to github -> download -> unzip -> use. I've never had any troubles with Energia past learning what the various different things do, and how to do them. Once learned there have been zero problems for me. Granted, I do not use the framework.

Either way, most of the "fixes" are superficial, and the app its self does not need an installer. It's a true portable app( Energia that is ).

Now if there were one click methods for using msp430-size/dump on a given project hex/elf file, that might be useful ( for me ).

File->preferences->use external editor. . .Anyway, yes I am probably pretty hard to impress.

Sure, this is not for all users. Good thing is you can download the zip always :grin:

All started because I reported some of the issues (and fixed them, and waited years watching users complain over and over in the forum) specially drivers, #5 and #6 but arduino team never fixed them so I decided to start keeping my own version updated for Windows people. In fact, do you know that the Arduino IDE when detects Windows uses Short 8.3 names, but with a pretty dumb algorithm so lots of users experience problems... etc, lots of small annoyance like that.

You will be able to see the diff in the code once I upload all the source. (Is taking forever and failing!)

The other good thing is, if you don't like something and it makes sense, I can change/code it, basically, this actual version is result of that http://arduino.cc/fo...c,118440.0.html and you can see all the "log" there of suggestions. Of course Arduino is "broken" by design, the idea is not to match an advanced editor, it is just to provide a little more pleasant experience using it.

#8 yyrkoon

yyrkoon

Level 3

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Ok, fine and dandy, i named two useful potential `features. Hardware debugging from within the IDE would be nice too.

Also some people may not see the connection between this IDE and the msp430. Especially since the term  "Arduino" is being tossed around so liberally.

I'm an eye-for-an-eye, tooth-for-a-tooth kind of guy.  -  So you support a system that would leave everyone blind and toothless. -  Not everyone. Just the bad guys.

Youtube channel  Blog

#9 Rickta59

Rickta59

Level 3

• Global Moderators
  • 700 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

I'm confused by the link to the source. You point at a copy of the Energia source, but I don't see any code that makes up the .Net user interface code. I'm not a windows user so I can't try it out. Did you implement a .Net/C# based version of the Energia java UI and then just use the existing Energia msp430 framework code and its msp430 binary tools? Or is this just an alternate version of Energia with a .net installer?

#10 Rickta59

Rickta59

Level 3

• Global Moderators
  • 700 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

So I just checked out your source and I can see it is already out of date with framework fixes that are in the Energia github source tree. How do you plan to keep your framework files in sync with Energia?

#11 eried

eried

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

So I just checked out your source and I can see it is already out of date with framework fixes that are in the Energia github source tree. How do you plan to keep your framework files in sync with Energia?

What fixes for example? I downloaded the last github but didn't compiled the c++ part, only the java things. And the C# stuff is just for some minor add-ons like the driver installer and the library manager.

#12 Rickta59

Rickta59

Level 3

• Global Moderators
  • 700 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

What fixes for example? I downloaded the last github but didn't compiled the c++ part, only the java things. And the C# stuff is just for some minor add-ons like the driver installer and the library manager.

Fixes in the the msp430 c++ framework.

Fixes in the way the compiler arguments are ordered for the stellaris compile.

Do you even have an msp430 to test? How can you release a "Mod Energia Enhanced" without even testing the framework it uses?
  • xv4y and Philipp like this

#13 Rickta59

Rickta59

Level 3

• Global Moderators
  • 700 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

diff -br ./hardware/msp430/cores/msp430/usci_isr_handler.c /home/user/Energia/hardware/msp430/cores/msp430/usci_isr_handler.c
42c42
<       if ((UC0IFG & (UCB0TXIFG | UCB0RXIFG)) != 0)
---
>       if ((UCB0CTL0 & UCMODE_3) == UCMODE_3 && (UC0IFG & (UCB0TXIFG | UCB0RXIFG)) != 0)

#14 eried

eried

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

OK, I tested it and works wonderfully on my machines, as I said I didn't compiled the hardware folder, just used the official one pre-compiled. I ordered a launchpad that's mainly why I did this.

#15 Rickta59

Rickta59

Level 3

• Global Moderators
  • 700 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

How do you plan to keep your framework files in sync with Energia?

I'd still be interested in the answer to this. Now, it is hard enough to figure out which version people are running when they ask for support without adding yet another variable I have to worry about.

#16 eried

eried

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

My idea is to keep it up to date versus the arduino IDE. So when I update the Arduino version I can sync this one too. I am not sure what will happen with 1.5 because I am still waiting for that one.

My original idea was to bundle the 2 environment (some of the fixes will be on Teensy version of the Arduino IDE too, so maybe the same ide can include N profiles, but since the tools in Energia are so massive and most of the arduino users don't require them I decided to compile this as standalone)

#17 Rickta59

Rickta59

Level 3

• Global Moderators
  • 700 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

How does this enhance the Energia environment? You are creating something only slightly different from what we have and it is not even a fork of the original Energia github so people could see if you are keeping up with the original version. It doesn't seem like you are in a position to answer questions regarding all the variety of msp430 launchpads, their toolchains or the C++ framework.

Your biggest enhancement seems to be using some native widgets and adding some enhanced WIN32 only functionality without providing the source code to those things. Why not make your changes in java so all users can benefit from these enhancements or at least release the source code to your C# apps ( maybe you have I didn't see it ). If you think that using native widgets to access the serial port is nifty, then you could conditionally do that for the WIN32 version and maybe we will think it is nifty too.

Your rational for doing this it seems like you have been unsatisfied with response from the Arduino team with regard to outside changes. However, I don't see any questions or posts in either 43oh.com or the Energia github issues page suggesting changes. In the Energia project we aren't opposed to added functionality. We encourage it.

I fear your copy is just going to cause confusion and more work for our team of volunteers that also don't get paid for doing this.

-rick
  • xv4y likes this

#18 eried

eried

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

I am not quite sure how this will add work, the last release I see here is from 8 months ago. I can add some disclaimer if that makes you feel better. I am not saying this version is official or anything. All the changes are here: https://github.com/e.../commits/master (C#, java, etc) I am still trying to upload the rest of the files to Energia repository.

I don't like a lot working on java, so since this is fueled by passion I use c#.

#19 yyrkoon

yyrkoon

Level 3

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

I am not quite sure how this will add work, the last release I see here is from 8 months ago. I can add some disclaimer if that makes you feel better. I am not saying this version is official or anything. All the changes are here: https://github.com/e.../commits/master (C#, java, etc) I am still trying to upload the rest of the files to Energia repository.

I don't like a lot working on java, so since this is fueled by passion I use c#.

It would add work for the Energia team, in that your project not being a part of Energia, will create confusion between support from The Energia team, and the end user who is really not( but thinking they are ) using Energia.

Rick, and Robert know their project very well I would imagine, but probably do not know anything about yours, and how you've done things.

Plus on a personal level, I view you asking for donations for thing you've decided to do for yourself rather appalling. Especially considering the work you've done so far is trivial compared to what the Energia team has already done. Who in turn created work based off another project. No one before you asking for a dime.

Now if you want to contribute, I say that is great, but asking for money from things that mostly do not belong to you, is rather crass. 

Youtube channel  Blog

#20 eried

eried

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

Now if you want to contribute, I say that is great, but asking for money from things that mostly do not belong to you, is rather crass.

This page is basically just a list of the things I added, I am not stealing somebody's credit at all, if someone like one of these items in the list they usually send a donation (Arduino version is downloaded 40 times a day and I received around $100 every 12 months so it is just a fun fact only). I am not sure if you checked the original code, but Energia is 99% arduino code, so I don't quite understand your point.

Short story, bought a cheap launchpad and ported my mod so I can feel comfortable using it then shared it here. If is not proper by some rule, I am ok if some admin wants to delete this, I don't want troubles.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mod, energia, arduino, ide, windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users