Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cocker

Bluetooth module + MSP430 Launchpad

12 posts in this topic

Hey there, i have bit.ly/SWGgNF bluetooth module and MSP-EXP430G2 launchpad based on MSP430G2553 microcontroller. I'm connecting the module to the board this way:  LaunchpadMSP430G2553_pinout2.png

I'm using Energia IDE, and the code is:

int cnt = 0;   

void setup() {
   Serial.begin(9600);   
}

void loop() {
   cnt++;
   Serial.print("Hello "); 
   Serial.println(cnt);   
   delay(1000);  
}

But the module doesn't seem to work. I tried to connect a LED to a state pin and it didn't blink waiting for the connection. I also tried to use 5V power supply but that didn't help. Could you please say what i am doing wrong?Thanks in advance

I have the slave module, and it worked out of the box.  This is what I did to make it work:

1. Wired it as you have it (I used a bus pirate, but whatever)

2. Paired with the device on my laptop using passcode 1234 (light still blinking)

3. Opened up a com port (looked it up in device manager) and configured it to 9600 8n1  (light turned solid)

4. Sent serial data

Mine seems to work off both 3V and 5V as well, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Actually...try pulling the RX/TX jumpers to isolate the bus from the emulation side of the board.

I confess to not following the link due to not following unsolicited URLs, but I will presume it's an HC-05 or HC-06 that you are using.

I'm a bit concerned that you haven't wired the key pin for configuration.  I suggect you wire a free wire to the key pin and get to know the terminal based admin.  Connect the bluetooth module directly to a ttl <-> rs232 convertor and then use a terminal emulator program such as hyperterminal to configure the module.  For the 05 module make sure you are appending /r/n within the terminal setup or it will behave very weirdly.

Find the AT+ command list for your model, I think the main two commands are AT+ROLE=0 for slave (probably default anyway) and AT+CMODE=1 to accept all incoming connections.  Armed with the key pin, the AT command list and the console you won't be flying blind any longer.

I apologize in advance if the model isn't what I am describing but many modules will have a parallel or similar setup to this.  Good luck and when it's working you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.  I sure did.  I curse myself for not switching sooner, accelerometers and gyros are 100% more fun wireless.

Umm, the linked part is just the pcb board and passives (resistors, caps, led, mosfet and voltage regulator). No module included? That's just the pcb.

You mean that this module can't be used to transmit/receive data via bluetooth?How can i "upgrade" it to transceiver then?

You need to purchase one - an HC-05, HC-06 or HC-07 (I would recommend an HC-05 or HC-07, the 07 has a nicer PCB layout than the -06 but is otherwise identical). They are around $US8-9 on ebay and Aliexpress - I just got 5 of them from Aliexpress. The boards arrived from Bluehash on Friday so I will be playing with them in the next week.

You need to purchase one - an HC-05, HC-06 or HC-07 (I would recommend an HC-05 or HC-07, the 07 has a nicer PCB layout than the -06 but is otherwise identical). They are around $US8-9 on ebay and Aliexpress - I just got 5 of them from Aliexpress. The boards arrived from Bluehash on Friday so I will be playing with them in the next week.

So, nothing to do with this pcb?

Here's the image for those who don't want to follow the link:

$T2eC16FHJHoE9n3Kd3VrBP68H3vTN!~~60_12.J

The board is missing the actual Bluetooth transceiver module and antenna.

It's a second board that solders on to what you have.

This is close to what it would look like fully assembled:

Q00415268-2.jpg

So, no point in upgrading this board?I just have to buy a new hc-05 module, right?

Seems to me buying a complete one like that posted by abecedarian is a better choice, don't upgrade the bare board you have now, save it for future.