• Create Account

Photo

LaunchPad on steroids, if you have a lot of spare time...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 xv4y

xv4y

Level 1

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationViêt-Nam

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

While searching for other infos about the RAM in MSP430 I found a lot of people complaining about the small size of the launchpad MSP430G2553 RAM, especially when programming with high-level languages...
I found this :
http://www.exisle.ne... ... duino-uno/
about this :
http://www.ti.com/tool/ek-lm4f120xl#1

The Stellaris® LM4F120 LaunchPad is based on a Cortex architecture (ARM for embedded applications) and is totally different from MSP430, much more powerfull though. However, with Texas Instruments selling at 5 USD, same price point than the LaunchPad we know, it seems they want to repeat the history...

If someone has enough spare time to handle the port of Arduino/Energia to this new system...

Yan.
  • davidbd likes this

---
Yannick DEVOS - XV4Y

http://xv4y.radioclub.asia/

#2 energia

energia

Level 3

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:19 AM

Support for StellarPad is on its way.. Give it another couple of weeks and a new release of Energia with StellarPad will be available.
  • meanpc, xv4y, VirtualEnder and 3 others like this

#3 xv4y

xv4y

Level 1

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationViêt-Nam

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

I was kidding but if that is true (and I trust you) you are amazing!!!
I am ordering a StellarPad right now!

---
Yannick DEVOS - XV4Y

http://xv4y.radioclub.asia/

#4 spirilis

spirilis

Level 5

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

PS, there's a zillion proposed names for this I guess... I call mine the STaunchpad!
  • gordon likes this

I made some 43oh Store gadgets

Also see my Tindie store

#5 meanpc

meanpc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

Support for StellarPad is on its way.. Give it another couple of weeks and a new release of Energia with StellarPad will be available.

Are you serious? That would be amazing! :clap:

#6 jpnorair

jpnorair

Level 3

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

Stellaris launchpad is one hell of a deal. Dare I say, it's an even better deal than the MSP430 Launchpad is.

Cortex M4F is a beast. There is a fair amount of work from the guys at leaflabs (leaflabs.com) on Maple, which is for STM32 what Energia-Stellaris appears to be for, well, Stellaris. Both Stellaris and STM32 use Cortex M3 and M4 cores, and some peripherals are the same (but not all). So, there is likely to be a lot of potential for cross-platforming Maple and Engeria-Stellaris modules. That's cool.

You might also find it possible to load ChibiOS, which supports a lot of networking. It runs excellently on most Cortex M parts. Energia could probably run along-side the OS, transparently, as long as you reserve a slot for it (and whatever interrupts it utilizes) in the Cortex M NVIC schema.
jpnorair: GitHub | Wikipedia | Wiki | Blog | Haytag

#7 energia

energia

Level 3

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:25 AM

A huge difference big code space saver is that the LM4F120H5QR on the StellarPad has StellarisWare in ROM. Most of the low level configuration and such will be done using calls to the ROM code.

Energia StellarPad edition is not yet read from primetime but we are getting there...

Stay tuned.
  • VirtualEnder likes this

#8 meanpc

meanpc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

If you need alpha testers let me know, Energia for Stellaris will be BIG
  • VirtualEnder likes this

#9 energia

energia

Level 3

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:29 AM

Thanks for the offer! If I remember correctly then you are on windows right? We are working on getting uploading to the StellarPad working cross platform (no OS left behind!). Until then it's we use LMFlasher thingy under windows to poke code into the StellarPad.
Give us another week or so and if all goes well we can do a beta release..
  • xv4y, Philipp and calinp like this

#10 meanpc

meanpc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

Yes, Windows. Sounds great!

#11 G0XAR

G0XAR

Level 1

• Validating
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

Cross platform sounds great. I am still waiting for my Stellaris boards from Ti....:-( . Will you be doing a port for Piccollo?

#12 jayachar88

jayachar88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

The Stellaris® LM4F120 LaunchPad is based on a Cortex architecture (ARM for embedded applications) and is totally different from MSP430, much more powerfull though. However, with Texas Instruments selling at 5 USD, same price point than the LaunchPad we know, it seems they want to repeat the history...

Looks like the price has been hiked to 12.99 USD ! Is that true, or am I looking at a different board ?
Would've been a steal at 5 USD, but not terrible at 12.99 USD either... it's an order of magnitude more powerful than Arduinos and still cheaper than it.

#13 jayachar88

jayachar88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

Looks like the price has been hiked to 12.99 USD ! Is that true, or am I looking at a different board ?
Would've been a steal at 5 USD, but not terrible at 12.99 USD either... it's an order of magnitude more powerful than Arduinos and still cheaper than it.

Ok, my bad! Should've followed the links. Looks like 5 USD was a limited period promotion. Anyhow, as I said, 12.99 USD with free 2-day WW shipping is hard to beat for this performance class. Look forward to ordering few for myself, but it show In-Stock and delivery in 4-6 weeks at the same time... kinda confusing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users