• Announcements

• bluehash

Forum Upgrade   03/11/2017

Hello Everyone, Thanks for being patient while the forums were being fixed and upgraded. Please see details and report issues in this thread. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oscarasimov

How to connect a thermistor to my MSP430 and other ?'s

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm completely new to micro-controllers and I'm having trouble using the search bar. I think I'm so clueless that most people are assuming basic knowledge that I don't have yet.

I'm trying to connect a thermistor to my MSP430 and read temperature. I found this post on in the projects section :

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2524&p=18608&hilit=thermistor#p18608

It looks like its exactly what I want to do but I'm having trouble understanding what's going on here. ( What pins to connect the thermistor too? how to upload the code files onto the chip?)

I've been watching c programming tutorials on youtube but I'm not quite sure how to apply that to the MSP430.

Does anyone know a link or resource I can read that can explain this to me like I'm 5?

hello.

i'm new too and there appears to be quite a steep learning curve ahead, a few new concepts to absorb and a lot of jargon to take on board. best to take it slow and steady, every journey begins with a single step, etc.

What pins to connect the thermistor too?

from your link:

The circuit is basically: Vcc
Oscarasimov likes this

And on the msp430, the pins can have different functions. So the code sets this pin to act as an analog input. The analog input becomes a number from 0 to 1024 (depends on the resolution of the analog to digital concerter). You can read the same voltage with a normal multimeter. The code then uses an algorithm to translate that number on that pin to the actual temperature. The algorithm is borrowed from reprap code.

Energia can be a good tool to start playing with, but you can't run that code from the post directly. It will let you read analog values with less code than proper C.

Oscarasimov likes this