5 replies to this topic

#1 Mac

Mac

Level 2

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

I wonder if I could take the opportunity to ask a question about the IDE, please?

Is this a modified version of the same IDE used by Arduino? If so, is there a way to select a different default editor font? I asked this a couple years ago on the Arduino Forums and never got an answer. I assume no one with knowledge about the IDE got around to reading it. I'm hoping that someone in this relatively new and small Energia group with intimate knowledge about the (Java based?) IDE might actually see my question and respond. Basically, I'd like to be able to use the fixed pitch Consolas font in the IDE Editor.

TIA. Cheerful regards, Mike

#2 pine

pine

Level 2

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

There is a preference file where the font setting can be changed. Not sure what the exact file name is but opening the preference menu and you can see a line of note for it. Be sure to edit this file while the IDE is not running.

#3 Mac

Mac

Level 2

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

That file looks very similar to the one in the Arduino IDE, and just like the Arduino IDE, attempts to change the Editor font don't work. At least not for me. It almost seems as though fonts are included in the IDE java files.

Anyway, it's a shame because the font makes a huge difference on my laptop;

Attached Files

#4 energia

energia

Level 3

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

Energia is based on Arduino. A quick look at the font handling in the IDE (Written in Java) and it looked like it should work. As the sources suggested, changing the font in the preferences file worked for me. This is the line in my preferences file:
editor.font=Consolas,bold,14
. You should be able to change this to any font available on your system. I ran my test with Energia 0101E0006 on Max OS X.

Attached Files

• Rickta59 likes this

#5 Rickta59

Rickta59

Level 3

• Global Moderators
  • 733 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

That seems to also work on Linux after I installed the Consolas font. It did look even better when I turned on antialias

editor.antialias=true

-rick

#6 Mac

Mac

Level 2

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

Ok, I think it's working. Setting editor.antialias=true makes a perceivable difference though the font still doesn't look as good as it does in my other IDEs for some reason.

Thank you for helping, Gentlemen.

Cheerful regards, Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users