• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 pine

pine

Level 2

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

There is an "1" at the end of the part code ( 430BOOST-C55AUDIO1), does this suggest there will be more similar product? ;)

#22 kylej1050

kylej1050

Level 1

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

I2S isn't exposed for an external stream into the C5000 is it?
-Kyle

#23 bluehash

bluehash

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 5,357 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

There is an "1" at the end of the part code ( 430BOOST-C55AUDIO1), does this suggest there will be more similar product? ;)

Very probable.

Stellarisiti - Join the new Tiva-C/Stellaris ARM Forums discussing Tiva-C(Stellaris) Microcontrollers.

C2kCentral - C2000 News, Projects and Forums
43oh - MSP430 Discussion, News, Projects and Hacks
MachineGrid - Robots, Hacks and Technology!

#24 Balloons

Balloons

Noob Class

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:44 AM

I've just ordered 3 kits from TI store, very cool,... like a portable media player...

#25 TomKraut

TomKraut

Level 1

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

I2S isn't exposed for an external stream into the C5000 is it?

Unfortunately, no. The only way to get I2S would be to lift the TLV320AIC from the board and solder wires to the pads. But since it is a QFN package, this wouldn't be practical... But then, the ezDSP C5535 is not that expensive... ;-)

Cheers
TomKraut

#26 cde

cde

Enigmatic Decadence

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

From the Product Page, emphasis mine.

The C5535 ultra-low-power digital signal processor-based BoosterPack is a plug-in board for the MSP430™ microcontroller LaunchPad development kit, and is the first solution from TI where the DSP is solely controlled by a microcontroller.

The BoosterPack adds DSP functionality to your microcontroller applications without losing the low power feature. You can easily control the DSP through simple commands using the UART by leveraging the pre-programmed DSP functions.

The BoosterPack is ideal for low-power applications that use record and playback audio functions such as MP3 players, home automation and industrial applications.

You could wire this thing to a 2 dollar usb to serial cable (Nokia) and drive it directly from a computer, aside from the other benefit of providing a fully developed dsp to low level hobbyists and entrepenures who want to leverage a better product but lack the capital for full blown development.

Oh, and small bonus, the Audio Boosterpack essentially means you don't need to waste spend an extra 10 on the cap sense boosterpack, it comes included :P

#27 TomKraut

TomKraut

Level 1

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

Alright, alright, I will order one when my next paycheck arrives :D

And I will try to build that baseboard I was talking about, with an integrated XDS100 emulator... which can pull double duty as a USB to UART converter, btw...

Cheers
TomKraut

#28 EngIP

EngIP

Level 1

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

I kind of feel the same way as Tom. I mean, you could use a beagleboard/RasPi/FPGA to do some heavy processing, and attach a Launchpad via the UART to send start/stop signals, but does that make it a "Multimedia HDMI ARM/Custom core Booster pack"?

Taking it to an extreme, could I patch a launchpad into my car's ECU and re-name my car "The Transport Booster Pack"?

To my mind, a "booster" pack adds a little extra functionality to the dev board. When the booster pack is capable of all of the MCU duties and more, doesn't the LP become the booster to the MP3 dev board?

That said, it's great value, and I will certainly be purchasing one :D I just wanted to let Tom know he's not alone in his bemusement :)

#29 cde

cde

Enigmatic Decadence

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

For a comparison, they use regular cars to haul race cars. They use tiny little tram cars to move planes.

#30 kylej1050

kylej1050

Level 1

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

Its not completely useless to have the launchpad, the c5000 doesn't support captouch.
-Kyle

#31 SugarAddict

SugarAddict

Level 3

• Members
  • 700 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:22 AM

Its not completely useless to have the launchpad, the c5000 doesn't support captouch.

Yeah, it certainly appears to be more of a demo of what you could do with the cap sense, while also pushing their DSP line. I think it was a good idea, nice merge of their own technologies.
Join us in IRC @ FreeNode
Anything I've done is free public domain if not specifically marked
CC BY SA or OSHW
"Holy crap! Why would you even save those?" - bluehash
"All boundaries are conventions waiting to be transcended." - Cloud Atlas

#32 JonnyBoats

JonnyBoats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

Has anyone considered using this as a audio frequency waveform generator? It would seem like it would make a nice little instrument for the bench, one could use the cap touch-pad to dial in the frequency and select waveform (sign wave, square wave etc.)
  • GeekDoc, EngIP and oPossum like this

#33 markf

markf

Noob Class

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

Is it possible to port the host program to MSP430FR5739?

#34 greeeg

greeeg

Level 2

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:48 AM

I ordered mine on the 4th. Came today.

Now I know it's not a finished product, but I was only using mine for about 30 minutes and it's already locked up twice and has spent a few seconds rebooting itself. It does feel a bit weird to me to use a MSP430 as the master and the DSP as the slave. If you wanted to add captouch just use an MSP430 as a slave to the DSP :lol:

All in all it's a nice addition and will be interesting to see what people come up with.

I would personally like the source code for the DSP so I could add FLAC/OGG/WMA support which the DSP is capable off, just not implemented.

Also FYI it comes with a 2Gb uSD card, which is nice. I thought they might only give you a 32Mb one. (I suppose 2Gb is the smallest size they make nowdays :D )
Personal website: http://greg.so Just starting up. :D

#35 SugarAddict

SugarAddict

Level 3

• Members
  • 700 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

Locked up? How'd you do that? I haven't gotten mine to lock at all.
CC BY SA or OSHW

#36 greeeg

greeeg

Level 2

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

Locked up? How'd you do that? I haven't gotten mine to lock at all.

I put some of my own music on it. MP3 @ 192kb/s and when it moves from 1 track to the next it locks up. Works fine if I stop the song move to the next and play it. When it locks up all the LEDs flash @ ~1Hz a couple of times. Then a few seconds later it's doing the startup LED cycle and the MSP resets the DSP.

Related I've already set it up to advertise for 43oh.com :lol:
Attached File  msp430.jpg   102.85KB   96 downloads
  • bluehash likes this

#37 SugarAddict

SugarAddict

Level 3

• Members
  • 700 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

Odd... I'm listening to a 192kbps song on it right now... I'd dumped a bunch of music on it after I got it and it played them all fine.
CC BY SA or OSHW

#38 cubeberg

cubeberg

Level 4

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

Wow - that is a sweet little LCD.

#39 greeeg

greeeg

Level 2

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

Wow - that is a sweet little LCD.

It does look really nice. ebay has them at $6.30 a piece if you buy 2.

Here is specs:
http://osddisplays.c...ails.php?pid=10
Not sure how much OSD would charge for a handful.

#40 PenguinInfinity

PenguinInfinity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:44 AM

May I ask since we can't program the DSP, does that mean that we can't do much with it other than the pre-programmed code?

Also, what are the unpopulated header beside the DSP are connected to?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users