43oh

Killing Zombies with the Launchpad

Well, this is my entry for the November 2010 Project of the Month Contest. It is very simple and far less usefull than the others projects. The truth is that I wasn't participating until I saw the Chronos :D .So i had to come up with something easy and fast to develop. I was plaiyng arround with some leds and photodiodes in front of my pc monitor and I thought that cold be interesting to interact with the screen with the photodiodes or some other ligth sensor. that idea eventually ended up being a shooting game. I wasn't too sure what to shoot at but then i realized that the option was obvious; ZOMBIESS!!!. everybody like killing zombies.The circuit is very simple. the LDR is in a voltage divider with a 10K potentiometer. moving the potentiometer will help with the calibration.It has also a capacitor to stabilize the analog signal. the trigger is a switch in series with a resistor and a capacitor for debouncing. this swicth is in fact in parallel with S2 in the Launchpad so you could just use that one an reduce the number of needed parts. I just use my hand for the gun so I didn't have to make one (it also makes a great human machine interface :)).The source code for the MSP430 is basically the same as the "Snake game". every time you pull the trigger the ADC takes 16 samples and send the avarage to the computer. The analog signal is provided by the LDR. the LDR has a different response depending on the wavelength of the incident light (that`s the reason for the funky colors). it isn't very accurate, variations on the ambient light or in screen distance will lead to a misunderstanding between the zombies. Every time you pull the trigger and hit one of them you'll hear a shot and a zombie scream because, well, even zombies don

LaunchPad-Zombies.rar

Thanks for the feedback guys!!!

Do you get to shoot Zombies of a specific color? I guess the calibration is done at- startup.

That's rigth. If you see the processing code you will notice a blue zombie that's not implemented, I had some problems identifing the three of them. The blue one had ADC values between the red and the gray zombie so I finally decided to remove it making easier the identification of the orher two.

Although the project need some work I like the idea of interact with the screen with cheap sensor as LDR or photodiodes. While I was finishing this I saw on MAKE blog an article about a little board with a mcu and a light sensor that can be reprogrammed puting the board against the screen's monitor. It would be interesting to find more applications like that.

While I was finishing this I saw on MAKE blog an article about a little board with a mcu and a light sensor that can be reprogrammed puting the board against the screen's monitor. It would be interesting to find more applications like that.

Looks like Aniomagic's Schemer. That is sweet!

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Download Processing (http://processing.org/) and run zombie.pde. You'll have to put that file into a folder an add there the zombie's gifs and the .vlw file. That's it.

hi actually after doing what you have mentioned in the above post it, while compiling it still points out that there are

'No library found for gifAnimation'

What does this indicate ?

what should i do to rectify it ...!!

Thank you..

• 3 weeks later...

hey thank you for the help on the previous one... :)

i am living in INDIA and i kinda have small problem in ordering the launchpad .. i think we are unable to get MSP430g2231 precisely which is required for the project... will you be able to provide us with some suggestions or the links to order the similar one...?
if not possible, then will you be able to suggest alternative launch pad(s) (i mean any other series under MSP430...)
also please confirm whether it is a 14 pin or 16pin... because the official site of TI provides info on  MSP430g2x31/MSP430g2x21(which is 14 pin) and MSP430g2231-EP...
Also pls provide here your email ID as i have some suggestions on extending this project further if you like ....
Thank you.. :)

• 1 month later...