#1 MarkoeZ

MarkoeZ

Level 2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:34 AM

Hello,

I've been thinking about a Bluetooth door lock recently, and started building.
Thing are progressing nicely, in the upcoming video's there is a fully functioning breadboard setup, outdoor tests, and inside of the intercom now.
BOM, Schematic, and Code will follow.
Enjoy!

First Breadboard Tests

The first outdoor tests:

And a video of the inner workings of the intercom now:

My Site/Blog/Projects Page: http://www.markoez.com

#2 kenemon

kenemon

Level 2

• Members
  • 275 posts
  • LocationEvanston, Illinois

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:22 AM

Very impresive implementation. Have you done much uning an android device as a controller? How hard was it to get the connection working?
"never lower your standards to meet the expectations of others"

#3 MarkoeZ

MarkoeZ

Level 2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

Very impresive implementation. Have you done much uning an android device as a controller? How hard was it to get the connection working?

And this is actually the first time i'm using my phone as a controller, last Bluetooth tests i did were from the Pandora.

Connecting is really easy with the HC-06 bluetooth module. You just have to power it with 3 volts, and connect the RX/TX to launchpad TX/RX. Then pair with the Bluetooth module from your phone like you would with any device and you are done.
The Android software i used in this test is the free version of "BT_Serial_Tester", available from the market. The free version can only send numerical values and cannot receive, but thats enough for a raw test of my implementation. For the final app i also want a response like "wrong code" or " code accepted" signalling the results.

I did develop some small android apps in the past (nothing public btw), so with the help of the Bluetooth wall-racer car code for the Bluetooth part, I should not have any problems making a more dedicated app for the task.

Hope that was helpful, and if you want more info, just ask :)

Cheers!
MarkoeZ

p.s. Code and schematic will follow once things are a bit more final
  • kenemon likes this

#4 MarkoeZ

MarkoeZ

Level 2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

Well i got the board built, built into the intercom device, bluetooth module adapted and attached, and lock interface done
Check the outdoor tests:

And a video of the inner workings:

Cheers!
MarkoeZ
  • kenemon likes this

#5 bluehash

bluehash

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

Pretty good Marko. Simple and neat.

Stellarisiti - Join the new Tiva-C/Stellaris ARM Forums discussing Tiva-C(Stellaris) Microcontrollers.

C2kCentral - C2000 News, Projects and Forums
43oh - MSP430 Discussion, News, Projects and Hacks
MachineGrid - Robots, Hacks and Technology!

#6 MarkoeZ

MarkoeZ

Level 2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:37 AM

Thanks!

And Update: During my testing (playing actually) i found out that the batteries drained quickly enough below the point they could power the relay.
So currently working on a powered solution, struggling with an unused 9v adapter and an LM317. first test I got a pretty warm resistor in the circuit, not sure if thats normal? quickly turned it off for more research. Nothing damaged though.
Oh, and first tests on a breadboard without the actual circuitry attached, seemed wise somehow ;)

To be continued...

#7 nuetron

nuetron

Level 3

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • LocationThe Wood Between the Worlds

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:49 AM

How do you have the relay circuitry set up? When you have it locked, is the relay constantly on?
I usually use IAR EW Kickstart 5.20.
Because my first laptop's motherboard failed, my second laptop's harddrive died,
and tending to our IT business, I haven't had much time to spend on microcontrollers...

#8 MarkoeZ

MarkoeZ

Level 2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

How do you have the relay circuitry set up? When you have it locked, is the relay constantly on?

No, the other way around. But im using a 5v relay (using scrap parts mostly) that works fine on a full battery, but not anymore when they are slightly drained. The board is still functioning, i see the led responding to signals. Just not enough power to switch.

#9 nuetron

nuetron

Level 3

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • LocationThe Wood Between the Worlds

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

Could you use a 3volt dual coil latching relay? If so, I can send you one FOC.
  • MarkoeZ likes this
I usually use IAR EW Kickstart 5.20.
Because my first laptop's motherboard failed, my second laptop's harddrive died,
and tending to our IT business, I haven't had much time to spend on microcontrollers...

#10 MarkoeZ

MarkoeZ

Level 2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

Could you use a 3volt dual coil latching relay? If so, I can send you one FOC.

Thats a very kind offer, but im not sure if shipping to the netherlands is cheap :S (dont know where you live ofc)
I could PM my address if you are still up for it.

And thanks for the offer! :)

#11 bluehash

bluehash

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:13 PM

Congrats Marko. You made HaD.

Stellarisiti - Join the new Tiva-C/Stellaris ARM Forums discussing Tiva-C(Stellaris) Microcontrollers.

C2kCentral - C2000 News, Projects and Forums
43oh - MSP430 Discussion, News, Projects and Hacks
MachineGrid - Robots, Hacks and Technology!

#12 TopHatHacker

TopHatHacker

Level 1

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

ps. i did post my code for my bluetooth msp430 contraption here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1832

oh and btw, you can use AT commands to toggle an IO pin on the bluetooth module, and maybe even take out the MSP430 with a little more code on the android side
the AT command is something like
AT+PIO=10,1\r\n but that might just be for the 05 and not the 06 from deal extreme (i got some of those laying around too)
  • bluehash and MarkoeZ like this

#13 MarkoeZ

MarkoeZ

Level 2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:23 AM

Congrats Marko. You made HaD.

Yay! And thanks :)

ps. i did post my code for my bluetooth msp430 contraption here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1832

oh and btw, you can use AT commands to toggle an IO pin on the bluetooth module, and maybe even take out the MSP430 with a little more code on the android side
AT+PIO=10,1\r\n but that might just be for the 05 and not the 06 from deal extreme (i got some of those laying around too)

Sounds good, need to try that!

#14 MarkoeZ

MarkoeZ

Level 2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:52 PM

I did some more thinking on this topic, and although i will certainly investigate for other projects i think it might not be wise for this one. Main problem is that even the last security level on the "house" side would be gone. You would only need to find out the pairing code and have full access. Not that i expect an attack or something, but i still like to design it as properly as possible.

And with a basic msp for less than a dollar, some more playing room is always nice :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users