Markers

Problems with Energia on MSP430 LaunchPad

Hi!  I'm a newbie just starting out with a MSP-EXP430G2 LaunchPad running with an M430G2553 chip.  I am trying to load Examples from the Energia IDE but each time I attempt to compile or upload the code I get an error:

msp430-g++: error: <name>\AppData\Local\Energia15\packages\energia\tools\msp430-gcc\4.6.5/include: No such file or directory

exit status 1
Error compiling for board MSP-EXP430G2 w/ MSP430G2553.

I am running a Win 10 64 laptop.  I have selected the correct Board (MSP-EXP430G2 w/ M430G2553) from the Tools menu and updated the software.

Can someone please tell me where I am going wrong.

Many thanks in anticipation!

Many thanks Fmilburn!  I think there is a space in my <name> - I will move everything to another directory and try again.

Many thanks.

Hi Fmilburn.  The various Energia folders in <name>\AppData\Local\Energia15\packages\energia\tools\msp430-gcc\ .... were set up automatically when I installed Energia.  How do I move all the files to another location?

Thanks.

Keep it simple - just edit the <name> folder if that's the one with a space in it.  Over the years I've learned to keep names as close as possible to the old DOS naming standards, as many developer tools are not always forgiving of long names, or other naming issues most of us have forgotten ever existed...

Fixing the folder name would be far, far less complex than moving all of the Energia files, which would likely introduce other errors.

On 12/5/2017 at 4:51 PM, NurseBob said:

Keep it simple - just edit the <name> folder if that's the one with a space in it.  Over the years I've learned to keep names as close as possible to the old DOS naming standards, as many developer tools are not always forgiving of long names, or other naming issues most of us have forgotten ever existed...

Fixing the folder name would be far, far less complex than moving all of the Energia files, which would likely introduce other errors.

As a general rule, you should never use file or directory names with spaces in them. They tend not to work well with many tools, and tend not to work well across platforms, and do not work at all with some environments/platforms. We have all seen the abomination that occurs when a URL contains a space, and some of us have seen environments where some superstar realizes that, on windows, a filename or directory name can consist of nothing but spaces. Have fun with that. It does not help that Windows does not handle paths consistently across contexts, and, though better than in the days of Win95, still does not handle capitalization in file/directory names consistently across all contexts.

Thank you all for the advice about the folder name.  I have finally been able to fix that issue.  However, now when I load the "Blink" example I get the following error:

Energia: 1.6.10E18 (Windows 10), Board: "MSP-EXP430G2553LP"

Sketch uses 760 bytes (4%) of program storage space. Maximum is 16,384 bytes.

Global variables use 20 bytes (3%) of dynamic memory, leaving 492 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 512 bytes.

MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs

Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <dlbeer@gmail.com>

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

usbutil: unable to find a device matching 0451:f432

An error occurred while uploading the sketch

Any ideas, anyone?  Many thanks,

Mark