bakey

Powering CC3200 LAUNCHXL

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

short: on what pin do I insert 5V on the CC3200 launchXL, Can i do this on any pin that says 5V  or can I only insert 5V through the USB?

long:

I would like to power my CC3200 launchpad from a 5V power supply on a "booster pack" (BP).

Currently I've been powering the device either through USB laptop, or through a 5V adapter to USB (cellphone charger)

Now I want to use a 12 V power supply to power a "booster pack". The BP would contain a DC-DC converter (http://www.icstation.com/mini-step-down-module-buck-converter-fixed-output-buck-power-supply-module-voltage-regulator-p-10632.html )

I need the 12V for various thing driven from the BP.

So the BP receives 12V from power supply, delivers 5V to the launchpad, lauchpad gives logic input to BP (-> transistor ->  relay... )

Where do I supply the 5V? any 5V port? Or only USB

From the schematic, it seems you can power it up from 5V, but it does not mention it anywhere. The Vcc_MCU_5V runs all the way to the BoosterPack 5V pin.

CC3200_5V_power.JPG

According to the the hardware manual, it recommends powering the board via the 3.3V Header pin. This also connects to the VCC_BRD pin. Remove J13 jumper for this, so everything upstream can be disconnected.

cc3200_bus_power.JPG