benwr

MSP432 not able to connect on Energia v18 [SOLVED!]

17 posts in this topic

Hi all,

When I try to connect my MSP432 launchpad to Energia v18, it connects to the right port, but it only gives me the option to list the board as a type of MSP430. When I go to Tools>Board>Board Manager, I get to the Boards Manager where I can download different types of board packages. When I try to install the Energia MSP432 Boards, I get a red error message at the bottom of the screen that says "Error downloading http://www.energia.nu/downloads/download_core.php?file=msp432-1.0.15.tar.bz2"

I've tried connecting my board to Energia v17 and the board actually connected on that version. When I try to upload an example program like "Blink" on my board, I get an error that says "Upload Failed" with the following message below (see attached picture).

I'm stuck and am unsure of what to do to get to be able to program my MSP432 through Energia regardless of the version. Any suggestions?

Capture.PNG

I have not, but I do not believe that the USB cable is the issue. It connects fine on CCS and Energia sees the device, it just won't upload to it.

Does uploading with CCS work? If CCS manages to upload but Energia fails, it may be related to the firmware version used by the built-in programmer-debugger of the LaunchPad. Normally, DSLite updates the firmware. 

Also please check the path to the Energia IDE doesn't contain any spaces. Same for the project. 

Uploading with CCS does work. How do I fix the problem if it is an issue with the firmware version? And there are no spaces.

There are two versions of the board packages for the MSP432 on Energia: one unspecified, another for red MSP432. Try both. 

What version are you using? There is no board manager in my version 17, and on version 18, this is what I get where if I hit install, I get the error on the bottom.

Capture2.PNG

Hmm. I'm also on Energia 18. Is there a way to update it so I might have that option?

Have a look at the file package_index.json under ~/Library/Energia15/package_index.json for macOS or %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Energia15\package_index.json for Windows.

My package_index.json contains

{
          "name": "Energia MSP432 EMT RED boards",
          "architecture": "msp432r",
          "version": "4.9.1",
          "category": "Energia",
          "url": "http://energia.nu/downloads/download_core.php?file=msp432r-4.9.1.tar.bz2",
          "archiveFileName": "msp432r-4.9.1.tar.bz2",
          "checksum": "SHA-256:617aa2c65addb9e3a0831b015ce2619abafd27d86b74ad75b0449063ca10421e",
          "size": "21093293",
          "boards": [
            {"name": "MSP_EXP432P401R"}
          ],
          "toolsDependencies": [
            {
              "packager":"energia",
              "name":"arm-none-eabi-gcc",
              "version":"4.8.4-20140725"
            },
            {
              "name":"dslite",
              "version":"6.2.1.1624"
            },
            {
              "name":"ino2cpp",
              "version":"1.0.2"
            }
          ]
        },

I was able to download the MSP432 Board package, it was just the proxy at the place where I work that was messing up the installation. Thanks for the help.