admirlk

CCS7 Requirements

12 posts in this topic

It appears that CCS requires certain Windows Updates to be installed, before it can be installed. I found one of the two missing ones, but Windows Updates have been broken for several years on my machine. In other words, the 26k file I found is at 0% after 10 minutes. The last time I tried a similar sized update, it was at 0% after 24 hours. I will leave this going for now, but am not expecting it to get past 0%.

I noticed in another thread that the CCS6 license is now free and found the download for it. I am curious if an older version will have the same requirements, or not. I have had Eclipse installed within the last year or so, so if this has to do with Eclipse I am thinking it will work. If it has to do with the plugin, I might still be out of luck.

Since this the "defacto" IDE, I would prefer to use it. Any help or advise is appreciated.

4 hours ago, admirlk said:

but Windows Updates have been broken for several years on my machine.

There are instructions in Internet on how to fix Windows Updates - you should download and install some files per hand.

Searching after "broken Windows Updates" should help to find them.

Thanks!

I took a quick look,but this is going to take some time to do. Besides updates not working, I have not been able to shut down the machine, without turning it off, for just as long. Hopefully this will also fix other MS related problems I have. I will let you know how it all goes.

Well that was a bust, the two updates that are supposed to fix it both said they were no applicable to my computer.

On the bright side, the one I found for CCS did eventually install, and when trying to fix updates I found how to search for them, and the other one is for Vista, so I assume I can just ignore it. Hopefully all is good now.

This is frustrating. Tried installing yesterday, and after telling me some file could not be deleted and I needed to delete them manually before continuing twice, the files were gone when I looked, the installer locked up. Actually it locked up much of my computer, sound was x'd out and Windows explorer was crashing. I ended up just restarting the computer. I just tried again, and I got a firewall popup this time. I assume yesterdays problems were related, since it completed this time. Unfortunately the program does not start. The attached log file has this in it:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2017-06-18 17:01:46.339
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.RuntimeException: Application "" could not be found in the registry.

followed by a long list of available applications. Any Ideas on what I can do to fix this?

1497819705705.log

Following up.

I found one similar case, and had several missing entries in the comfig file, as in the example. I think this was caused by having to restart the install. I uninstalled it, put it on the wrong drive in the first place, and it now starts up without a hitch. Then I started watching an intro video, to find my way around, and got stuck at the first step, resource explorer. It refuses to connect, so I get nothing. The help page: http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_CCSv6#Resource_Explorer  says to enter proxy settings, but I have no idea what that is expecting as I do not use a proxy, or just do not understand the terminology. Hopefully this will not end up being a problem.

@admirlk

I'm sorry you are having so many challenges with code composer studio! It has happened to me in the past so I know how you feel.

In the event that you do not achieve success tonight then might I suggest that you check out CCS Cloud. Make sure to login with your TI username and password. It will give you an online CCS instance to work in.

To debug, install the TICloudAgentBridge in your browser and it's local helper program. I just did that today for my Ubuntu box. It works good.

Best of luck!

Thanks,

I am used to these kind of problems, in general. At one time I had a dual boot Linux/Windows machine that did not have a C drive, I put Linux on that drive and installed Windows on E, or something. I am sure you can imagine the mess. I am mostly just venting here, and hoping someone might have had a similar experience and could speed up my troubleshooting. Or maybe it will help someone in the future.

Cloud/internet applications tend to be troublesome for me also, due to an unreliable connection. Online installers rarely work for me, as one example. It looks like I can use http://dev.ti.com/tirex/#/ and download anything I might need, indirectly, so that is a better solution, for me, than using it outright.    

I should get my LP tomorrow, so I really will not know what kinds of problems I will have until after then.

If you have 64bit virtualbox installed maybe you could use a linux guest install and just run the linux version of CCS.

I only have a 32bit Linux VM, buy I think I will be alright for now. I C&P'd the blinky code from the workshop onto a blank chip and everything seems to be working. :biggrin:

Now the fun part begins, learning how to actually write the code myself.

Oops. I kind of mixed several things into one there. I should have said; I only have a 32bit Linux VM, so I would have to install a 64bit one. It seems to be working, on Windows, for now, so I should be OK. Going back to CCS6 will be the next thing I try, if I run into problems I cannot find a work around for.

I am not sure what to make of the advice/problems part of CCS. Since the code I copied is supposed to be what comes installed with LP, it seems odd that it would show 8 problems with the code. It is either extremely picky, or TI did not do a very good job with the example code. I suspect it is a little of both.