adalloul

TinyGPS++ with MSP430F5529

9 posts in this topic

I would like to know if anyone used the Sparkfun GPS logger on MSP430. The example used by the library from Github is legit for arduino only 3.3v, rx, tx, and ground. When we connect them to MSP430 it doesn't work. 

Are you referring to the Sparkfun GPS Logger Shield?  If so, double check pinouts; they will not be the same for the '5529

I've been running TinyGPS++ with an msp430F5529 connected to an adafruit ultimate GPS breakout board without problem for the last year.

And, don't forget that the Tx from the GPS goes to the Rx for the '5529...  Easy to cross-up.

I have a GPS breakout, we have got it to work via hardwareserial which we truly do not want. We want it to work over software serial

Assuming by your mention of arduino that you are using Energia. The '5529 supports two hardware serial ports under Energia.  IIRC, software serial is not supported in Energia on the '5529 but only on some of the lower end MSP430G devices. In the past I have successfully used the two serial ports (Serial and Serial1) on the '5529, one for the console and the other for a RF link module with a serial interface.

2 hours ago, dubnet said:

Assuming by your mention of arduino that you are using Energia. The '5529 supports two hardware serial ports under Energia.  IIRC, software serial is not supported in Energia on the '5529 but only on some of the lower end MSP430G devices. In the past I have successfully used the two serial ports (Serial and Serial1) on the '5529, one for the console and the other for a RF link module with a serial interface.

can you name the pins associated with your claim of using Serial besides (P3_3 and P3_4) because these are Hardware Serials 

I used P4_4 and P4_5 for the PC serial console and P3_3 and P3_4 for my RF link. You could remove the jumpers on 4_4 and 4_5 and use them for another hardware device. However, I believe that you will lose the debugging/programming functionality.  Shouldn't be an issue once you have programmed the MCU, repurposed the port and have put it in your project.

http://energia.nu/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/MSP430F5529.jpeg

We used that method yesterday and unfortunately, we the stream of data we got is not suitable for our project. I wounder if there is any softwareserial on the msp430 

How is the stream of data not suitable?

With regard to your question on software serial you may want to search the forum using software serial  as the search term.  I did so and it produced 123 results.  You should be able to confirm an answer on the availability of software serial on any MSP430 devices other than the 430G series that don't have hardware serial capability on the chip.

we used TXD and RXD for GPS data.. we got NEMA data which it was bypassing the library code and just reads whatever gps is sending (raw) data. Energia site says they would add information about software serial later.. 

Can you refer me to a good source to teach how to use UART communication with Energia instead?