54 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, zeke said:

By the way, I just looked into the cost of a paid github account and the price is $7/month or $84/year.

That gives you unlimited private repo's.

Alternatively, gitlab community edition is freely available if you want to self-host. I'm researching this option right now.

It sounds interesting. Having a web based GUI could be useful, if that's what it is. Quite honestly though, and do keep in mind im by far not a git guru. I prefer to use tools of this nature form the command line. Honestly, I find using the tools much quicker from the command line. and this way keeps me in touch with how the tool is used. So if someday I wish to script something up, it should be trivial. Which is something else I've been doing a lot of. Which also lends a lot to readability for anyone who knows their way around a Linux system. So when working with others, like for me at work, I designed a complete monitoring system for production boards that anyone at work can read, and understand fairly quickly Even the boss, who is actually an old school embedded *NIX systems software developer.

Anyway, for me, I'm not doing a local backup through git right now. But I have invested a considerable amount of time reading about it over the last year or so. So it's just a matter of time before I follow through. Then like I mentioned in a previous post. I'll have a completely separate partition, and mostly like a completely separate disk that I mount only when making backups. and probably using something like dd, to make 1:1 copies, or perhaps just using tar. So mount -> backup -> umount. This for me, will be very robust, and about as bullet proof as I would care to get. However, the system doing backups, for me would require a UPS, and possibly may just be a laptop for the built in battery power in case of power failures. Which is partly why I have not followed through with this yet. I want everythign runable during a power failure, and I have not had any of the required circutry, and possibly code designed yet. A friend of mine however( not wulf ) have been talking seriously about a design for a while now. Something he'll design in hardware, and something I'll design in software, assuming software will ever be needed.

Yeah after watching this video on gitlab: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoBaY_rqeKA

I've concluded for now, it's a bit more complex than I want. Granted . . . git it's self is fairly complex too, but gitlab would be something else I had to read up on, and keep up with, when all I really want is to feel all warm and fuzzy about my data being there when I need it. I may even think about making my backup strategy even simplier than what I'm currently think it should be now. May even forgo git all together, and just use rsync in conjunction with dd or tar. For 3 layers of redundancy. But I do liek the idea of versioning . . . a lot.

Hi,

for the projects I need to access from multiple places (and needing some privacy) I've configured a small git server and put gogit/gogs *) on top of it.

Because the core is git, I can use it from command line and gogit gives me the possibility to use it in a way similar to github and (the reason I use it) allows me to define "virtual users" - I can allow other people to access the private repositories without sharing my (main) credentials.

I have luck with a good hosting offering all needed tools.

Cheers,

Liviu

*) I suppose any "interface" will do the same, I've used gogs because I found a tutorial (in German) about the installation on my server.

yyrkoon likes this

Backup process? manual, copying to several separate devices (NASes, temporarily mounted via sshfs). Currently all are in my apartment, so it will not work if there is a burglary or a fire. Also, it won't help if I forget to copy to backup devices.