• Announcements

• bluehash

Forum Upgrade   03/11/2017

Hello Everyone, Thanks for being patient while the forums were being fixed and upgraded. Please see details and report issues in this thread. Thanks!
TheArduinoGuy

Help with serial on custom board please

9 posts in this topic

I have a PCB made by a third party that has an MSP430-5969 on it. My task is to program new firmware to the device.

The board has 4 pins for a JTAG connector which I have connected to the TI MSP-FET Flash Emulation Tool. I am able to successfully upload code to the device.

However, pins 2.5 and 2.6 go to an external display with a serial interface (Nextion display). There are also 2 I2C pins broken out

If I connect the TX/RX pins of the MSP-FET to those pins I am able to send data from the board using Serial1 to the Serial Monitor window in Energia.

Now, this means that whenever the display is plugged in I have no way of getting debug information from the board.

Is there any other way I could do this, perhaps over the JTAG connections?

Please help.

Thanks,

Mike

Ditch Energia, use CCS and debug your code properly using JTAG, breakpoints, monitoring your variables, etc.

I don't really want to be porting over to a new IDE. I'm used to the Arduino IDE and therefore Energia. I've had a look at CCS at it is way too complicated for me.

I have 2 serial ports showing up. One is /dev/ttyACM0 which I use to upload the sketch on. The other is /dev/ttyACM1 which I use for with Serial1 to send debug info.

I would have thought there would be a way of sending data over the ttyACM0 port (Serial2 or just Serial ?) via the JTAG programmer?

How do you expect the JTAG programmer to provide a UART bridge when it's not connected to UART pins of the MCU?

One the MSP430F5529 LaunchPad, a second UART is broken out on pins 3 and 4 (P3_3/P3_4). So unless your board has those broken out, using the CCS debugger is your only option.

I don't really want to be porting over to a new IDE. I'm used to the Arduino IDE and therefore Energia. I've had a look at CCS at it is way too complicated for me.

Well, if the right way is too much effort then we'd better all work harder at finding a way to make it easier for you...

You got friendly and helpful. Three different people gave you well informed advice within hours of asking a question. You just complained that it would be too hard.

In fact, I just checked and every one of your posts has been asking for help. You haven't once said thanks or even acknowledged the replies you got.