• Announcements

• bluehash

Forum Upgrade   03/11/2017

Hello Everyone, Thanks for being patient while the forums were being fixed and upgraded. Please see details and report issues in this thread. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
omerdf

"Fatal Error:Could not find device " Error in MSP-FET and MSP430

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm using MSP430F5131 and trying to program it by IAR Embedded Workbench while using the MSP-FET debugger.

A short background of the PCB:

After i compiled the code in IAR with not errors found , i connected the MSP-FET to the MSP430 in a Spi-Bi-Wire connection according to the datasheet.

The MSP430 is placed in a PCB which includes 12V input voltage and 2 regulators of 5V and 3.3V . The MSP430 I/O's are connected according to the datasheet (including external pullup resistors and capacitors) along with the Spi-Bi-Wire connections.

I energized the PCB with a 12V supply voltage , connected the MSP-FET's connector to a Header connector on the PCB and the other side connected to the PC by USB.

My problem is :

In the IAR , once i try to download the code into the MSP430 (by clicking the 'Download and Debug' button) it says that it needs a firmware update , so i clicked ok and download the new update , but when it tries to initialize hardware i encounter the error :

"Fatal error: Could not find device (or device not supported)

Session aborted!"

I have tried multiple things in order to find the solution - with no success .

Does the AVcc and AVss needs to be connected even if i dont use any analog options? coz its not connected to anything.

I also tried to download the program to the MSP430 with code composer studio but encounter the same error.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like an issue with the wiring between the programmer and the MCU. Which pins of the MSPFET did you connect to what pins of the MCU?

NurseBob likes this

>Does the AVcc and AVss needs to be connected

For the FET? Yes - it senses the '430

Also, with IAR, if you've configured the dbugger for the FET to expect an external supply, it must be connected. (FWIW, running devices off the FET can be problematic if the overall ckt draws more than about 60mA, if I remember correctly; it will need to be set up with an external supply and the debugger properly configured in the setup options)

Speaking of debugger setup, did you specify the correct '430?

>including external pullup resistors and capacitors

Am I correct in assuming you're refering to the reset pullup ckt?  And it's connected to the 3V3 supply?

Also, you don't explicity state that you're running the '430 off the 3V3 supply. Just curious...

Is the PCB of your own design? SpyByWire mode, if derived from an "experimenter" type board can lead to missed connections. This is based on past, sad, experience. :)

dubnet likes this

1) I have connected :

- RST/NMI/SBWTDIO of the MCU to TDO/TDI pin 1 of the MSP-FET.

- TEST/SBWTCK of the MCU to TCK pin 7 of the MSP-FET.

- a 3.3V that is supplied from a regulator in the PCB to VCC_TOOL pin 2 of the MSP-FET.

- GND of the PCB to GND pin 9 of the MSP-FET.

2) In the IAR - Options - FET Debugger , i have unchecked the Target VCC.

so you say that AVcc and AVss must be connected even if i dont use any analog options at all? it just allows the MSP-FET to download the program?

3)  Yes i have specified the exact MSP430 5131.

4)  Yes i have designed the board according to the MSP430F5131 data sheet . 

I have attached the whole PCB electrical wiring to this post and the FET Debugger options i used in the IAR. and the error window .

notice that AVcc and AVss are not attached at all , i know it's the second PCB with MSP43-F5131 they are using and it was never needed to connect the AVcc and AVss.

It's important to say that even if i dont connect the MSP-FET to the MCU at all it still pops the same error.

PCB electrical wiring.pdf

post-49756-0-38504200-1485098769_thumb.png

post-49756-0-36326000-1485098997_thumb.png

If I'm reading your schematic correctly, there's no power to pin 1 - avcc? If that's the case, there's no power to msp device... I don't believe you can power-up only the digital supply. However, having never tried this configuration, I don't honestly know.

Bob

In the msp430 family datasheet they mention a unused pins , they say that if AVcc and AVss are not in use they should be connected to DVcc and DVss  - i think they get their supply from the digital pins.

I found another problem though , i use a regulator of 3.3V which supplies my msp430 , although i noticed that this regulator supplies only 0.7V and i know that the MSP430 got to have at least 1.8V - so maybe thats the problem.

Actually the whole PCB gets hot , i think you are right about the short circuit - i guess one of the regulator is shorted

If I am misunderstanding, I apologize in advance...

>In the msp430 family datasheet they mention a unused pins , they say that if AVcc and AVss are not in use they should be connected to DVcc and DVss  - i think they get their supply from the digital pins.

Are you saying there's no physical external connection between AVcc and DVcc? That seems to be what your schematic implies.  If that's the case, aside from whatever else may be happening, there's no power to the side.

Per this post, you may be seeing a related problem.

omerdf and Fmilburn like this

The problem is related to the regulator that supplies only 0.7V and it supposed to supply at least 1.8V...now im checking if the problem is that specific device or another device that connected to the 3.3V rail.

>It's important to say that even if i dont connect the MSP-FET to the MCU at all it still pops the same error.

That is expected behavior.

Have you put a ammeter on your supply to see what's being drawn?  If it exceeds 60-70 mA, you will see that error since the FET is limited to that max.  If your system is designed to draw more power than the FET can supply, you need to set up for an external supply.

Your comments regarding the board heating do seem to point to a short somewhere in your system...

"3.5 Using the Power Supply Feature of the MSP-FET430UIF and MSP-FET
All MSP debug probes can supply targets with up to 100 mA through pin 2 of the 14-pin JTAG connector.
NOTE: The target should not consume more than 60 mA at peak current, as it may violate the USB
specification. Details can found on www.USB.org.
Example: If the target board has a capacitor on the VCC line with a capacity of more than 10 ?F, it may
cause an inrush current during capacitor charging that may exceed 60 mA. In this case, the current should
be limited by the design of the target board, or an external power supply should be used."

slau647f.pdf

I think the regulator is fine but can't supply enough current to the 3.3V rail. I'd check the power rail for a short circuit or low resistance to ground.